D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide errata coming

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Books aren’t sacred. It’s a copy of the actual thing, and the actual thing is the words and pictures. The ideas.

Books only ever became revered because they were rare and hard to make, and thus destroying* a book could easily mean that information was just lost. Forever.

You cannot make the information of the 5e phb be lost forever.
Ideas and data are just not enough. If they were enough, there'd be no point to make any artistic expression. Ever since I was little I started creating many stories for myself, if just the ideas were enough I wouldn't have spent so many years learning an outlet to have them in physical or at least "tangible form". Why play when I could just write stories or why actually write them/ draw them when just having them exist matters?

More than that, I wouldn't bother with trading cards like Magic or yugi -I would really not have a reason to put up with the experience of shop games, uhh-.

Ok I digress. I don't care if my book is just a copy, my book is my book and I don't do those things to my books. To me doing things to a book -other than a textbook which whole purpose is to be written on- is inherently barbaric. It is not the ideas, is them having a physical support. I grew up in the era of Napster and Limewire, yet I still to this day hunt for albums of my favorite musicians, and I treat those albums with the upmost care. I've read some mangas before, yet I still go out of the way to collect them -I'm just shy of three tomes!-.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ideas and data are just not enough. If they were enough, there'd be no point to make any artistic expression. Ever since I was little I started creating many stories for myself, if just the ideas were enough I wouldn't have spent so many years learning an outlet to have them in physical or at least "tangible form". Why play when I could just write stories or why actually write them/ draw them when just having them exist matters?

More than that, I wouldn't bother with trading cards like Magic or yugi -I would really not have a reason to put up with the experience of shop games, uhh-.

Ok I digress. I don't care if my book is just a copy, my book is my book and I don't do those things to my books. To me doing things to a book -other than a textbook which whole purpose is to be written on- is inherently barbaric. It is not the ideas, is them having a physical support. I grew up in the era of Napster and Limewire, yet I still to this day hunt for albums of my favorite musicians, and I treat those albums with the upmost care. I've read some mangas before, yet I still go out of the way to collect them -I'm just shy of three tomes!-.
Well, that level of bibliophilia is fine and good since you seem to enjoy it, but hopefully you can express it without effectively calling people who don’t share it “barbaric” for being fine with adding a page insert into a book?

And maybe understand that wotc putting out errata for a book is perfectly reasonable, since even most bibliophiles are willing to add a page insert to a common book?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's far and away better than every other patron for every type of Warlock.

It's not even close. It's just better.

Patrons usually have minor abilities. Hexblade gives you medium armour and shields. That alone is a bump of 4-5 AC and worth taking over any other patron.

This only is an issue if you don't play the hexblade the way it's "supposed" to be played. If you play the hexblade as a warlock that happens to have a high AC, then yeah, it could be.

But you hare "supposed to" play the hexblade as a Gish - a fighter mage, using your magical powers to enhance your sword fighting. Aaaand that's challenging, and you often have to dip in fighter to toughen up, or dip in paladin if you are a terrible, terrible munchkin.

So I suppose it depends on how the DM or players enforce that archetype. Think Elric perhaps.

There has been no power creep in 5e.

An Arcane Trickster with Shadow Blade active, using a SCAG Cantrip is not Power Creep?

I think it is a fair characterization to state that 5e has not had an excessive, or overwhelming amount of Power Creep. Power Creep, however, has occurred.

A 3rd level Wizard with an Owl Familiar using just PHB spells, feels significantly different then the same 3rd level Wizard with an Owl Familiar, using Dragon’s Breath.

The former is Harry Potter, with an Angry Hedwig. The later, is to goblins, what Balerion the Black Dread did to Harenhal.

One consequence of an Evergreen edition, isn’t that things can never change due to balance concerns. Rather to keep the forest healthy, you do need some drastic changes now and then.

Imagine instead of Nerfing/Balancing, (depending upon your viewpoint), Healing Spirit, an 11th edition of the PHB was made, that made certain Chaff spells like True Strike..more Wheat-y, (better), so as to be taken.

That would be a form of power creep, in that sub par options, become on par. It also would not be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Medium armour and shield proficiencies are rated a trivial ability, little more than a ribbon. It's one feat, or a racial selection (e.g. dwarf, tortle), or a single level multiclass dip, or this:

Eldritch Armor Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature As an action, you can touch a suit of armor that isn’t being worn or carried by anyone and instantly don it, provided you aren't wearing armor already. You are proficient with this armor until removed.

or this:

Barrier Tattoo Wondrous item (tattoo), rarity varies (requires attunement) This tattoo depicts protective imagery and uses ink that resembles liquid metal. While you aren’t wearing armor, the tattoo grants you an Armor Class depending on the tattoo’s rarity, as shown below. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit. Rarity AC Uncommon 12 + your Dexterity modifier Rare 15 + your Dexterity modifier (maximum of +2) Very Rare 18.

Well, apparently the designers agreed that HS was more powerful than intended and moved to adjust it, but whatever, it’s not like they can (or should) force you or anyone to go along with their decision.

Why would you say that? This change is a part of the new printing of the physical book. And once this errata is official on the various digital sources, such as DDBeyond and Roll20, then it will be the only official version of the spell available there too.

And while you may not play it, those who do play Adventurer's League games are supposed to use the latest official version of the rules, so this version will be the only version AL DMs should use, once they are aware of it and download the errata.

Olrox17

Hero
Why would you say that? This change is a part of the new printing of the physical book. And once this errata is official on the various digital sources, such as DDBeyond and Roll20, then it will be the only official version of the spell available there too.

And while you may not play it, those who do play Adventurer's League games are supposed to use the latest official version of the rules, so this version will be the only version AL DMs should use, once they are aware of it and download the errata.
Yeah, sure. Still doesn’t stop doctorbadwolf or anyone else to keep playing with the old version of the spell in their home game, if they want.
I certainly will use the errata-ed version, because I believe it’s a sensible change. I was already houseruling HS to be less powerful than the original version, anyway.

AL isn’t a concern for me, it doesn’t exist in my country.

jasper

Rotten DM
As a player of the game, you have three choices:

1.) Play in a game that uses the errata.
2.) Play in a game that does not use the errata.
3.) Don't play in any D&D games.

... 2 seems like it'll be harder to find than 1, and won't be an option for AL games run under AL rules. ....

I...
I think I go do a hard number two. Be right back. :)

jasper

Rotten DM
Well, that level of bibliophilia is fine and good since you seem to enjoy it, but hopefully you can express it without effectively calling people who don’t share it “barbaric” for being fine with adding a page insert into a book?
How evil of barbarian am I?

Attachments

• 20200405_081654.jpg
    20200405_081654.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 147
  • 20200405_081814.jpg
    20200405_081814.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 116

Remove ads