• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yay Failing Book Stores?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That could be true. Or it could be that margins are falling and book stores are finding it more difficult to survive.. Bigger stores, who generally require a higher profit margin, go now. The smaller specialty stores could follow.

I don't have any expert knowledge on this other working in the Economic/Finance field so I could be off base on this.

Olaf the Stout

So said the cart merchant about the newfangled store building.

Change is normal. Humans will all was go for the most economical means. Competition will be around as long as it is not stopped by artificial means.

Some specialty store that provide things that are not wanted in large quantities might survive or they might move to the internet. Some big stores might survive but there is already whole markets that are almost completely internet based. (Vacuum tubes anyone?).

Wrong. The prices are low because of low overhead, massive customer base and high volume. And as I said in the post you quoted, I find brick and mortar stores to be less convenient than online stores.

Yes, because online stores have competition; other online stores.

As someone suggested upthread, I'm just voting with my dollar. I prefer online shopping and cheaper prices. It's up to the booksellers to provide me with a better and/or cheaper option if they want my business. It's the idea that no industry or business should ever fail (even if its services or products are outdated and no longer competitive) that's short-sighted and bad for the economy.

There is some truth in all of those quotes.

Major internet retailers tend to buy in bulk and have much lower overhead than the B&M stores they compete with.

However, while internet retailers typically have internet competitors, you can bet as a matter of economic certainty that if a product is supplied only via a small number of internet retailers, prices will rise. Someone mentioned vacuum tubes? Try replacing the ones you'd find in high end guitar amps or pedals- they're NOT cheap.

Which is why, when I vote with my dollars, price is not my sole concern. A pleasant shopping experience/environment, personable/knowledgeable/personal service (which means a lot of things), availability of technical support (which varies from product to product), my desire to see something on a shelf and own it within minutes of finding it- as well as other factors- all factor into my shopping decisions.

Now, I know that I cannot single-handedly keep my favorite stores in business...but I do what I can.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
And sometimes the local stores really deserved to go under. :(

Yep. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen local 'mom and pop' stores (bookstores or otherwise) mark up merchandise astronomically to exploit their 'local edge' only to find out that most people aren't stupid enough to pay those prices and then cry a river when they have to close up shop for lack of customers.

Yes, because online stores have competition; other online stores.

This is true to a certain extent. However, some online stores have advantages over other online stores which will limit the competition.

Firstly, economies of scale. Amazon pays a cheaper wholesale price for a lot of its goods because it can buy a really large amount of them at once. Buying in bulk gets it a cheaper price, allowing it to either:

(a) sell the good for the same price as its competitors and make more proft than them;
(b) sell it for a lower price than its competitors and still make the same profit as them; or
(c) sell it for a lower price than its competitors can even buy the good for and therefore price them out of the market

Second, brand recognition. Everybody knows about Amazon. I could create a store that does the exact same thing as Amazon but there is almost no way that I could be as successful in the short term. Even in the long term I would need to lose millions and millions of dollars up front, just to get to near their level. Why is that? People know about Amazon. People like familiarity. Sure, some things change, but a lot don't. I haven't seen anyone displace Microsoft in the operating software market. Coke is pretty dominant in the soft drink market, etc.,

There are other barriers but I think those would be the main 2.

Olaf the Stout

delericho

Legend
The last time I bought books in Borders (or any brick-and-mortar bookstore, except my FLGS) was Christmas Eve 2008, when I picked up a couple of novels for the holiday. At the checkout, I was given a voucher good for 15% off any single purchase in January.

I was quite pleased about this until I remembered that Amazon routinely offer 15% or more off every book, all of the time.

Amazon also have a much wider range than the brick-and-mortar store can possibly have, and are much more convenient as well - to get to a good bookstore I have to drive for thirty minutes; getting to Amazon takes seconds.

Up against that, the brick-and-mortar stores simply cannot compete. I may occasionally pick something up, if they just happen to have several books I want in a "three for two" offer or similar, but otherwise I don't see myself buying anything there.

I do make an exception for my FLGS, mostly because I've shopped there since I started gaming (in fact, I bought my Red Box Basic Set there), because I have a good rapport with the owner, and because I don't want to see the store go away. However, that does mean paying higher prices (sometimes much higher), it does often mean waiting some weeks while he special-orders a particular item, and it does mean putting up with his somewhat erratic opening hours.

However, if that store does close, or pass to new ownership, then that will be that. I'll switch my RPG purchases online without a second thought.

(Of course, my RPG purchases have dropped right away anyway, as my preferred edition of D&D is 3.5e, my preferred edition of WFRP is 2nd, and so the only 'active' game I still play extensively is SWSE. And if WotC wrap up that game, even to produce a new edition, I'm not going to be interested...)

The one thing that does concern me about this approach, though, is that the faster bookstores migrate online, the faster we get to the day that eBooks supplant paper books. In fact, I fully expect to start seeing eBook-only novels within the next couple of years. But an eBook reader is frankly a very expensive way to produce something that is not as good as a paper book. In fact, they're not even close. So, this is one part of the future that I definitely do not want.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The one thing that does concern me about this approach, though, is that the faster bookstores migrate online, the faster we get to the day that eBooks supplant paper books. In fact, I fully expect to start seeing eBook-only novels within the next couple of years. But an eBook reader is frankly a very expensive way to produce something that is not as good as a paper book. In fact, they're not even close. So, this is one part of the future that I definitely do not want.

Well, you've just revealed a potential justification for you to buy more books at B&M stores, in your "enlightened self-interest."

You don't want to be forced to buy eBooks only, you need to support places that won't be selling that many eBooks. Buy more stuff from the sellers who sell what you want now and in the future. Don't buy as much stuff from sellers who threaten your desires for the future.

Yes, it will cost more, but you're not just buying the book in your hand, you're buying time to continue having real books you can hold in your hands.

The more you buy from Amazon, etc., the more you hasten the advent of the paperless library...

hexgrid

Explorer
Which is why, when I vote with my dollars, price is not my sole concern.

Price isn't my main concern, either, but I still make most of my non-food purchases online.

The only thing brick and mortar stores can offer me is instant gratification- and they usually fail by not having what I want in stock.

The internet is also great for independent specialty retailers. It lets them sell to vastly greater market than they could otherwise.

I speak from experience- more than half of my household income comes from an online store that could never exist if it's market was limited to people in the local area.

Ourph

First Post
The more you buy from Amazon, etc., the more you hasten the advent of the paperless library...

Ummmmm.... last time I checked, Amazon sells a whole crap-ton of paper books. I'd say if you want paper books to stick around, keep buying paper books (from whichever vendor suits your needs best).

Wik

First Post
It's kind of a shame...I don't live in the US but when we visit my wife's family I always make a point at spending a few hours at the nearby Borders store, which I do like quite a bit.

First, welcome to ENWorld!

Second, I'm a little curious about your book-buying. See, I was just in Kamloops a few months ago, and I know they have a Chapters there... I'm just wondering what the big difference is between Borders and Chapters - both are large book boxstores? Having never been to a Borders, I have no clue.

As for yours truly, I'm not much on any of those big box stores, and I don't shop via Amazon. We have two GREAT book stores that are some of the largest in Canada (Munro's books and Bolen books), dozens of awesome used book stores (one actually sells RPGs! For ten bucks a book!), and about half a dozen indy booksellers worth checking out.

As for getting awesome deals on books... I always seem to miss the good products by the time I get to them. Usually, it's just a pile of Draconomicons, FR stuff, or something. :p

ggroy

First Post
I'm just wondering what the big difference is between Borders and Chapters - both are large book boxstores? Having never been to a Borders, I have no clue.

In terms of books, there isn't much difference between Borders, Barnes & Noble, or Chapters. Though the individual location of a particular big box bookstore, may dictate what sort of stuff may be in stock. (For example, a Chapters in Montreal may have a lot more French titles than a Chapters in Vancouver or a Borders in Seattle).

Some Borders or B&N big box bookstores may still have a large music section (similar to Tower Records or Sams, before both went bust).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads