(YB-Meta-Rules) Honor Path progressions and powers

Vanor

Villager
I like the idea of leaving it open like that.

So basicly, the rules don't say one way or the other how it will work, so it's up to the person who's doing it.

i.e. As a greenbelt you have the option of opening a IC dojo, and taking in students, as things are now. Or you could do the same thing, with out the IC dojo.

The result is basicly the same either way, the only differance is in how it's RP'ed.

Would this mean then, we wouldn't bother keeping track of things like a dojo record? Which would by default mean no honored/dishonored dojos, I personaly would perfer it this way, no record, no honor/dishonor for a dojo. Even if we do keep the record, I think we should lose the honor/dishonor idea for dojo's.

Wicht

Adventurer
Vanor said:
I agree the dojo stuff needs to be clarified a bit, as I remember Wicht favored the "Lady Diamond student of Vanor, Student of Tsin" setup.

Where I pefered the more established form of it. Lady Diamond student of the Dragon of the west wind dojo, run by master vanor, who is part of Tsin's group.
oh and btw, Thanks for including my chi strike, I had thought that was a dead one...
No problem... I still thinks its really powerful but it works and you and Tsin both wanted it - I tried to stick as true as I could to what we had basically already laid out (I did take out perfect defender but (and this is getting a bit ahead of myself) my thoughts are at the moment - it would be neat if the 7th tier of the yakuza and light paths both got perfect defender and the 7th tier of the honor and dark path both got perfect attack)

And what I tried to say in the previous post is that I think the way the structure is laid out in "dojo style" allows for both "student of..student of... and having a "group that contains dojos." Really all of the titles and such are role-playing and need not effect the rules if we don't want them to.

Jackal

Villager
Once the new rules are setup are we going to start over are characters or are we going to adjust to the new rules with are current ranks?

Yes, I know I am getting way ahead of myself but I was just wondering.

Wicht

Adventurer
Vanor said:
Would this mean then, we wouldn't bother keeping track of things like a dojo record? Which would by default mean no honored/dishonored dojos, I personaly would perfer it this way, no record, no honor/dishonor for a dojo. Even if we do keep the record, I think we should lose the honor/dishonor idea for dojo's.
Well - I left it with a honored record but we could scrap it I guess - I like the idea of the students of the dishonored dojo losing any advantous from being in the dojo however.

At the moment a dojo's record includes the record of the teacher, his students and their students and so on.

Wicht

Adventurer
Jackal said:
Once the new rules are setup are we going to start over are characters or are we going to adjust to the new rules with are current ranks?

Yes, I know I am getting way ahead of myself but I was just wondering.
The plan from way back when (like November) has been to have a reset.

Phoenix8008

Villager
Wicht said:

Well - I left it with a honored record but we could scrap it I guess - I like the idea of the students of the dishonored dojo losing any advantous from being in the dojo however.

At the moment a dojo's record includes the record of the teacher, his students and their students and so on.
Wicht, I would vote for scrapping the dishonored Dojo thing. Escpecially with the freeform dojo possibilities, the bookkeeping for tracking all those students of students could become problematic if we get more members again.

Wicht

Adventurer
Phoenix8008 said:

Wicht, I would vote for scrapping the dishonored Dojo thing. Escpecially with the freeform dojo possibilities, the bookkeeping for tracking all those students of students could become problematic if we get more members again.
There is a quick way to do it - the brown belt with 4 green belts as students does not have to keep track of all the yellow belts their green belts are dealing with - instead they just have to keep on eye on the records of the green belts and add them all together.

Vanor

Villager
That would be easier I agree.

I don't care much about the dojo record, I just think the honored/dishonored thing is pointless, especialy in the current rule setup.

Wicht

Adventurer
Well what do others think - the only point to dishonor would be that it allows the dojo style to be a "fluctuating" power - one that can be shut off that is.

The advantage to not having it is less book-keeping and having to keep track of other peoples fights.

MidKnight

Villager
I think that dojos should be susceptible to losing their dojo styles because of a dishonorable status. The record keeping isn't all that bad - most yellow belts posted back into their respective dojo threads when they completed a match and informed the master of their status. Then the green belt would update their dojo record - I even went as far as keepping a dojo fight record, just in case there was ever a question. Brown belts could easily adjust their status from there.

Wicht

Adventurer
Oathbound?

How many actually want rules for oathbound and how many just want to leave that aspect of it up to role-playing, or how many would rather keep the oathbound out of honor and Yakuza but work it into darkness and light somehow?

I don't care for rules about Oathbonds. I would like to keep that aspect in the realm of roleplaying if it is possible, but I'm not sure I have grasped the concept of Oathbonds in it's entirety. You share wins and losses, but is there any other implications?

As to Dishonored dojo's, I say drop the rule.

MidKnight

Villager
Not sure.

I would need to see the concepts behind the other progressions before I could decide on that. But If you follow what the yakuza are like then you'll see that within the clans they are ultra-loyal.

And with the honored progression, it just seems to make sense. This is the path that supports dojos, so why not personal oaths of honor?

On the other hand, I don't necessarily like the oathbound rules as they are (not even close.) I think that the higher rank individual should have the final word about allowing someone to become oathbound with them. Maybe there are personal reasons for not wanting to be oathbound with this person, or they are just afraid of them dragging them down because of foolish moves (the brotherhood of light comes to mind here - if there would have been an enlightened master around, how much you wanna bet that they would have ALL swore oaths to him/her, and then leapt to their demises at the hands of the dark wolf?)

To me, if the concepts for the light and dark progressions follow closely to the path warriors, then the oathbound doesn't make much sense (never thought it belonged there in the first place.) My simple reason was that this was supposed to be the path of the lone warrior, not a band of warriors - that makes me think of the honored path (with dojos and all.)

I guess that if the oathbound stuff makes it in, cool. But I wouldn't miss it all that much if it didn't (just glad that I don't have to deal with that one just yet.)

Phoenix8008

Villager
I think the Oath stuff should either be dropped or massively fixed. If it's kept, then both sides should at least have a choice in the matter and both sides should get some benefit. I would be fine with it being a RPing only aspect though. It would fit better with the Honor and Yakuza paths if it was going to be used though, since the Light and Dark are supposed to be single warriors mostly.

As for the Dishonored Dojo thing, it's not much of a penelty to only lose your current Dojo style that hasn't been mastered. If they are gonna suffer a penelty, make it a harsher one. They could lose access to all styles that they gained through the dojo, not just the one they are still learning. What is the IC reason for not using this style while dishonored anyway? I would think that a fighter would be out to prove his dojo style is worthy and honorable, not hiding it away in disgrace. Explain the IC reason behind the rule and let's see if there is a good reason for it to be there.

Last edited:

Lady Diamond

Villager
Phoenix8008 said:
As for the Dishonored Dojo thing, it's not much of a penelty to only lose your current Dojo style that hasn't been mastered. If they are gonna suffer a penelty, make it a harsher one. They could lose access to all styles that they gained through the dojo, not just the one they are still learning. What is the IC reason for not using this style while dishonored anyway? I would think that a fighter would be out to prove his dojo style is worthy and honorable, not hiding it away in disgrace. Explain the IC reason behind the rule and let's see if there is a good reason for it to be there.
So I've been digging around in the rules a bit this morning, and I wonder (if this was addressed somewhere I missed it).. and right now I'm buggy-eyed from goin' through all these path progressions and "odds and ends" and all the discussion..

are we keeping the "rule that I never saw addressed anywhere officially ", that when an honored/light fighter with no disgrace fights a villain and loses then the honored fighter gains no disgrace from it, only a loss?

If so, then there's more than an IC reason involved in the dishonored dojo discussion IMO.

Last edited:

Wicht

Adventurer
Lady Diamond said:

are we keeping the "rule that I never saw addressed anywhere officially ", that when an honored/light fighter with no disgrace fights a villain and loses then the honored fighter gains no disgrace from it, only a loss?
I didn't keep it as I personally think the light have the best buffer in the current system - three buffer ranks with one win cleaning the slate.

Advertisement