(YB-Meta-Rules) Honor Path progressions and powers

Phoenix8008

First Post
Wicht, I have a question concerning the Dojo Style power. Let me ask it after an example.

Exaple: Fighter becomes a Yellow belt and gains Rat signature style and Dragon Dojo style from his master. When this fighter becomes Green belt, is the Signature style he gains the Dragon style that was his Dojo style during Yellow belt or does he get Dragon in addition to a new Signature style?

If these stack, then by the Perfect Master rank the fighter would have 10 signature styles and all 50 modifiers!? Well, I'm sure you know my thoughts on having so many styles, but if everyone else likes it then that's cool and I'll just avoid the Honor path myself probably. If it was me, I'd give the power you call Perfect Master once at Green belt but let it be used for any style once per fight and limit the total Sig styles to 3-5. You know all this from our past discussions, but which way would others like to see it? Lots of styles or a few styles which can be used more regularly?

Also, you might consider changing either the Perfect Master teir name or the Perfect Master ability name to avoid confusion.

Other than those quibbles, it looks great!

Zappo

Explorer
Uhm. An attack with a signature style AND a signature style modifier - not too unlikely for a high ranked fighter - would be three points. With the Perfect Attack power, it becomes four. A perfect master has all modifiers and will therefore always inflict three hits (plus one for the modifier, plus one for Perfect Attack). Isn't that overkill? Or is there something I'm missing?

And, a Chi Strike - Perfect Master hit, worth four hits, can pretty much instantaneously end any fight at round 1, unless the opponent is lucky, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Like Dalamar said, I can't tell if it is overpowered or underpowered without looking at the rest of the progressions... but that Chi Strike thing really looks scary when you have all style modifiers, 10 styles and another +1 hits on each and every attack. If it is like I understood it, and the other progressions have comparable powers, I'll expect most fights between high-rankers to be like a short nuclear war.

Zappo said:
A perfect master has all modifiers and will therefore always inflict three hits (plus one for the modifier, plus one for Perfect Attack). Isn't that overkill? Or is there something I'm missing?
Granted, it has been a while since I had the time for a fight and it might have changed, but the chance of getting a modifier isn't very big - 1 in 20 isn't it?

Wicht

Hero
Dalamar said:
Looks good, but I can't really say if they are overpowered or underpowered until I see the other paths too.

Thanks to all who commented thus far and let me make a few points (I am really tired by the way so I may have to reexplain some of this later)

All the paths are getting a face lift and we will use the honor path as the guidestick by which we measure other paths and gauge how powerful they should be - this is the reason for doing one path at a time. do not compare this to what we have now Look at it on its own merits as a total rewrite of the rules. If we like this then we will change other things to work better with what we like. If we do not like this then we will make it what most of us want and then work from there.

Notice first of all the greater difficulty in gaining ranks - advancement will not be near as fast - Lady Tsin, under these rules would still most likely be a green belt.

Losing ranks will also be harder - it would require four straight losses in a row by a belted fighter from rank 0. Thus more people will stay in their belted rank longer.

Notice too that the dojo structure can be as permenant or as temporary as the person wants - if a green belt gives a dojo style to a yellow and then becomes a brown belt, the yellow belt does not lose their style.

Phoenix I know does not like the large number of sigs. Actually Tsin wanted even more and I am keeping it down to 10 by perfect master level in the above set of rules. Remember however that most people will be yellow and green for much longer and it will take a lot of work to ever reach perfect master. This means the majority of players will only ever have 2-4 sig styles.

the odds of a perfect master drawing a 3 point generated move is 1 in 100, using perfect master (we can change that name) it can be 1 in 20. And yes with perfect attack this gives a 4 point hit. Combined with fist of fury it is entirely possible for a perfect master to get a 8 point hit. However it is important to remember that if a player puts all their eggs in this basket there are ways it can be lost (dirty trick comes to mind) and again the perfect master is supposed to be the best toe to toe fighter possible in the game. And then too 1 loss knocks them off their perch.

Chi strike is powerful I will admit but the other fighter can always draw a better move 50/50 chance. Chi strike incidentally is not my idea it is Vanor's. The perfect master idea is Phoenix's. Fist of fury is mine. The list of modifiers is mine and Tsins.

And again, if this seems good we will balance the other paths and insure they are as good as this.

Wicht

Hero
Well LHH, thats you, Jackal and me so far.

One more note - these rules will not take effect until all the paths are done and then we are going to do as 47 suggested and reset the game.

graydoom

First Post
Looks good at a quick look-over.

Attachments

• en5ider 263 snapshot.JPG
    en5ider 263 snapshot.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 18,456

Zappo

Explorer
OK, got it. I was forgetting that you don't always get a sig style modifier. A perfect master will always deal two hits, sometimes three (at least once per match with PM), rarely four, and have Ki Strike to boot. Fist of Fury is powerful, but can be countered. That's OK for the maximum rank that a path can offer!

Last edited:

Remove ads