(YB-Meta-Rules) Honor Path progressions and powers

Wicht

Hero
On the old board I summed up the progress of the rules commitee thus far.

It seems like a good idea to take up the discussion of the Honor Path on the new boards. Before I get into specifics though, what concepts do people have about the Honor path.

As I see it the Honor path has the following ideals/ goals/focus...

1) They should be the path most focused on pure fighting skills. They hit hard and they hit fast.

2) They are more concerned with honor and skill than they are with goodness. Thus honor fighters can be good and kind or cold and aloof, but they are honorable and focused on their skills

3) The followers of the honor path tend to gravitate into dojos. Being in a Dojo allows the honor fighter to hone their skills better and faster, though those not in a Dojo are still formidalbe foes.

Sound Good? What would you add? What would you change? We are interested about concept at the moment - not about actual rules, so feel free to suggest concepts even if you have no idea how to implement those concepts.

Attachments

• wiz1.jpg
    wiz1.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 740
  • wizkids15.jpg
    wizkids15.jpg
    967 KB · Views: 33,902
  • wizkids17.jpg
    wizkids17.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 30,003
  • wizkids18.jpg
    wizkids18.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 28,873
  • wizkids20.jpg
    wizkids20.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 28,467
  • tiamat.jpg
    tiamat.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 69,638
  • bahamut.jpg
    bahamut.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 34,939

Phoenix8008

First Post
Wicht, your concepts sound agreeable so far. With followers of Honor being the best fighters, would you say that someone not in a dojo might be equal to others of the same teir, whereas Honor followers in Dojos would be superior to all of equal rank?

My only two gripes about the current Honor path are this:

1. They need to be able to stay in/with the dojo structure longer. I don't see why someone (currently Brown belt) that can oversee multiple Dojo's has to give up the Dojo which they created. Makes no sense to me.

2. They need some power that does not depend on the generator for it to work. Sig styles are great, but when every other path has stuff that always works when they want it to, then the Honor fighters can't really be the best fighters around.

I don't know if these are more specific than what you are looking for right now or not, but I figured I'd add them just in case. I know they probably sound familiar to you from the original committee e-mails, but the rest may not have heard so I put them into the discussion since that's what this thread is for.

Wicht

Hero
Well, concerning dojos, (I know I said not to go into specifics) but I really think the easiest and best way to represent being in a dojo is an extra sig move which gives the one in a dojo a 1/50 chance of getting a better move than the one not in the dojo.

Sabaron

First Post
While it is nice to have these sig styles, in the whole time I've been a Yellow Belt I've never drawn one, nor have I benefitted from Style Immunity except for once when Lady Tsin changed my style to that of my enemy. I agree with Phoenix that something else needs to be part of it as well. I also agree that dojo membership should be maintained longer.

Wicht

Hero
I think it is certain that the Dojo structure needs to be more permanent.

As for sig styles, a yellow belt under the current generator has only a 1 in 50 chance of getting their style which means if the average fight last 5 to 10 rounds, they really should only be drawing it on the average every 5 fights or so.

But by increasing the number of sig styles any one fighter can know you increase the odds of drawing that style, so that if a yellow belt learns both a sig style and then gains a "dojo style" they now have a 1 in 25 chance of getting a sig style.

Sabaron

First Post
I like that better. :) The question is (if I remember from the committee) how many styles should one fighter end up accumulating, and should Style immunity remain in effect?

Wicht

Hero
Well, as you probably remember me saying in the committee, I think that the honor path should learn somewhere around 10 styles by the top (giving them a 1 in 5 chance) and immunities should stay. By top we mean that ultra hard to get to 7th tier.

Immunities for style modifiers on the other hand can probably go.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Wicht,

While it's true that a 1 in 25 chance is better than a 1 in 50 chance, ask Lady Tsin who is a Brown belt how many times she has gotten to use a Sig style or Sig Modifier in a fight. I think the answer could be counted on one hand.

I also remmeber what your response to that situation was rules-wise back in the original committee: whole bucket loads of Sig Styles and Modifiers. While your Fists of Fury is good (getting extra moves generated to go against one enemy move in the same round), it still only gives you another posibility of getting a Sig style or modifier followed by the possibility of it being a better move and therefore actually scoring points with it.

Too many "if's" for me. They need something that WILL have an effect (barring the opponent using a Dirty Trick to force a redo of the round, of course), not just better odds.

Wicht

Hero
Well I do not think any of the powers are ever certain to work. You might dirty trick one thing only to have your opponent get something better. Sneaky trick I have seen fail and Holy Day fails quite often. So I am not sure of any power that is %100 percent certain of guaranteeing a round victory.

Wicht

Hero
Oh, there is one thing that always clenches a round victory - slipped my mind - immunities - barring the other guy being immune to your attack of course.

Attachments

• hotgame.jpg
    hotgame.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 39,617

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases