(YB-Meta-Rules) Honor Path progressions and powers

Wicht

Hero
Wicht said:
Well LHH, thats you, Jackal and me so far.

We can add Dalamar (forgot his comment), Graydoom, Zappo and Midknight.

Phoenix is thus far the lone voice of dissent (but willing to give)

Thats 7 for, one against - pretty good - I will give this a day or two more and then move on to the Yakuza if there are no big changes.

I think I will take Phoenix's advice on one thing and change the power perfect master's name to simply "Mastery" which means that now it has had three names total...

Wicht

Hero
oh yeah, if anyone has a better name for the practice makes perfect/perfect master/mastery power nows the time to speak :)

Yes, nine or ten sounds reasonable for a majority. However, seeing as almost everybody has been positive to this point, I think it is fair to assume that those who haven't voted yet won't be against.

Lady Tsin, I'm sure, would vote in favor, too.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Wicht, one thing you have not covered in detail for the Honored path is Dojo's. As usual, a Yellow belt can join a Dojo, but all other details are missing. Looking at the powers, it doesn't say at what point a person can open a Dojo.

One thing I'd like to see different from the current rules is this: At the Dojo Master teir, they should not be required to shut down the Dojo which they themselves built. It should just be another Dojo in the group. In fact it should be obvious that it should be the FIRST Dojo in the group. Or should there not even be such a structure? Should any fighter be able to teach any lower teired fighter and therefore be considered to be a dojo master in their own right?

What do the rest of you think?

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
Phoenix8008 said:
Wicht, one thing you have not covered in detail for the Honored path is Dojo's. As usual, a Yellow belt can join a Dojo, but all other details are missing. Looking at the powers, it doesn't say at what point a person can open a Dojo.

One thing I'd like to see different from the current rules is this: At the Dojo Master teir, they should not be required to shut down the Dojo which they themselves built. It should just be another Dojo in the group. In fact it should be obvious that it should be the FIRST Dojo in the group. Or should there not even be such a structure? Should any fighter be able to teach any lower teired fighter and therefore be considered to be a dojo master in their own right?

What do the rest of you think?
Yes... I think these rules would tend to create more of a hierarchical structure (where the vast majority of fighters are both students and teachers), than a dojo structure (many students, few teachers, no overlapping).

What's the setup we're going to obtain... something like "I am Arnold, student of Brian, who is student of Carlos, who is student of Deianera, who is student...", or like "I am Deianera the Dojo Master. My students are Carlos, Arnold and Brian. My dojo is aligned to the Grandmaster Ernest."?

Vanor

First Post
Let me throw in the 9th vote in favor of this setup then :)

(WHOOHOOO! I can post again :))

I agree the dojo stuff needs to be clarified a bit, as I remember Wicht favored the "Lady Diamond student of Vanor, Student of Tsin" setup.

Where I pefered the more established form of it. Lady Diamond student of the Dragon of the west wind dojo, run by master vanor, who is part of Tsin's group.

But both do have their merrits... Perhaps we should discuss what way people like best?

But as to the powers/tiers and such I say we go for it as Wicht laid it out :)

oh and btw, Thanks for including my chi strike, I had thought that was a dead one...

Wicht

Hero
Ok - let me address my thoughts to the dojo structure...

In the committee we tried to figure out when a person could open a dojo and so-on and so forth. As I was thinking about it last week it struck me that simpler was better, hence dojo style for four ranks as opposed to dojo student, dojo teacher, dojo master, dojo elder.

The dojo student rule addresses the structure. To learn a dojo style you have to have a teacher of higher rank- period... thus a yellow belt could learn from a green, brown, black, grandmaster, perfect master. This also means there is no worries if a yellow is joined to a green and the green goes to brown. Plus it enables a brown to keep open a dojo they have started.

The earliest one can open a dojo is at green belt- this dojo can be open for the career of the fighter as long as they don't drop to yellow. Random thought- accepting students should be the choice of the teacher.

The structure of any single dojo includes the head of the dojo and all those below him and those below his students and so on and so forth. Let us not make rules though about what you have to do in your dojo as far as "structure" more than the basics.

Sidhe Li for instance, a wandering teacher might teach three students. Two of those might settle down and open dojos whilst the third also becomes a wandering teacher. Though they all continue to look to him as a teacher. The rules allow for this. Or Tsin might start a dojo, have it grow and open up "branch offices" managed by some of her favorite students. And while Tsin a brown belt has green belts managing offices and teaching prospects, she may still take the odd yellow belt under her wing or accept green belts as students, even though they have opened their own dojos elsewhere. The rules allow for all this too. In other words the rules are specifically vague to allow for role-playing whilst creating a structure that allows one to know who is under whom.

It is advantegous however for one who becomes a grandmaster to have as many in their own one dojo structure as possible.

I mentioned in another thread but this is a good place to bring it up again. Students who want to switch dojos (or join an existing dojo if they don't belong to one yet) should be free to do so, but they must declare at the beginning of a fight their desire to do so and drop any known dojo style before the fight.

Remove ads