Yedan's Troubleshooters

Having been roused from all this talk of mages and druids, Bastion awakens from a rather snore-filled slumber. He grunts and smacks his lips as he gets his bearings. He's a man of middle years with long, gray hair and a slight hump in his back.

"Sorry, sorry. You see, I was one of the first here, but now I'm one of the last to join the conversation. Always seems that way. Once, I showed up to a class I was going to teach - got there an hour early. I was a professor at the university for the while. But I fell asleep. At school, I mean. The students showed up, but nobody thought to wake me. I woke up at midnight on top of my desk in the lecture hall. But that's life."

The rest of them tune out for a while, but Bastion just keeps yammering.

"Oh, and that reminds me. To be a ranger, you gotta be strong, right? Quick? I must say, my sore old bones envy that."

Arrowhawk

First Post
Whyre nods at the scholar wondering what subject the old man teaches, but does not want to pry.

More important than strength is cunning and quickness. Power is usless without control and focus.

Whatever favor the Mayor will ask of us, I hope she will be quick about it.

Whyre seems to shift his eyes among the many here as if he expects something unpleasant.

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Listening to the old man ramble on make Mez want to fall asleep himself. Finally able to get a word in edgeways, he starts to say something, pulls himself up and continues politely. "Yes. eh. I mean would you be so kind as to tell us your name good sir."

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Nymm 17, 998 YK

OOC: I would appreciate it everyone would use proper quotation marks around their characters speech. It makes it easier to differentiate between spoken words and thoughts you choose to share.

Another minute passes, and then voices can be heard in the hallway outside the door. The khoravar puts down his papers and stands up to get the door. Glancing at the assembled group, he says “Please rise,” then pulls the door inward.

A woman enters the room, nodding politely to the man as he closes the door behind her. She is clearly in her middle-ages, though the attractiveness of her youth still lingers. There is a warm light in her dark green eyes and corn-coloured hair is tied back in a ponytail. Her embroidered red dress is of a quality befitting her station, though the cut seems eminently practical. Behind her, the khoravar man, who by this time you suspect might be the clerk who signed your summons, clears his throat and introduces the woman. “The Mayor of Amrovel, Vileema Falkur.

Thank you, Mr. Tangskt,” says the mayor as she approaches Mezcia, extending her hand in a friendly greeting. “If I have my descriptions right, I am guessing you are Mezcia, correct? A little birdie told me that two old soldiers had been holed up with their young protégé in yonder parts. I am glad that you chose to answer my call. It should be a good opportunity to try out some of those skills.” Smiling she lets go of Mezcia’s hand and moves on.

Moving up to Whyre, the mayor gives him a good look up and down. “You, sir, have the look of one of the rangers of the White Horn Wood. You must be Whyre.” Nodding slightly, as if reassuring herself, she extended her hand to him and says, “One of your brother rangers who comes this way every so often is an old acquaintance of mine. When I asked whether he knew of anyone that might be able to help me, he suggested you. He spoke quite highly of you, in fact.

Next up is Morgan. She betrays a hint of unease around him and his centipede companion, but she maintains her outward appearance of politeness. “Morgan Sorrowful, I presume,” she says, glancing down at the wriggling form. “I must admit your skills are somewhat unique around these parts. I trust that they will serve you well enough, however.” She does not hesitate to move on from there.

Taking the hand of Evret, Vileema says, quite heartfully, “I do not imagine it has been easy for you to adjust to life here in Breland, Mr. Evret. What happened to your home was horrible beyond imagining. I am grateful for your having answered my summons, knowing that our nations were locked in a bitter struggle not so long ago. I hope that here we can all do our part to work together in mending those old wounds. Thank you.

Finally Mayor Falkur moves on to the last person present, the old man. “Professor Drath, it is good to see you made it here alright as well,” she says as she shakes his hand. “The experience of a learned man like yourself should be a useful addition to our small group here.

Apparently the mayor has had some experience working a room before. With that, she moves to the front of her desk and gently pushes herself up to sit on the edge. “Now I am sure you are all wondering why exactly I have brought you here,” she begins. “As I am sure you are all aware of, the War had a way of making local issues seem very small and unimportant. Now that the conflict is over, and I pray to the Sovereigns every day that it remains so, what we used to be able to overlook or dismiss as unimportant suddenly has a way of seeming a lot more important; even urgent. A lot of old debts are coming due, you might say.” Pausing for a breath, she continues, “Unfortunately, the Army and the aristocrats have not quite gotten it through their heads yet that these things need to be dealt with. That leaves it up to civilian leaders, like myself, to step up and make sure things keep running smoothly. But my authority, like that of many of my fellows in other towns who do not also hold land titles, does not extend beyond the immediately environs of our homes. And that is, of course, where you come in.

I have brought you together because I am tired of waiting around for the Army to solve our problems. Amrovel lives and dies with the farmers and other villagers in this region who come here to trade. So what I want you to do, if you are willing, is to be my agents beyond the town walls. I do not want to hear any more of the same stories of strange happenings, disappearances, hauntings, or anything else of the sort that has been plaguing the villages for years. I need men who are bold enough and strong enough, to knock some sense back into this land.

Of course, given that I do not have authority beyond the town walls, there is one small problem: how to empower you to deal with these problems without risking running afoul of the law. My clerk here, Marsen Tangskt,” she says, pointing to the khoravar man, “discovered that in my capacity as a duly elected and appointed official of the Crown, I may authorize the issuing of certain licenses for adventurers. Any Army officers you meet may not like them, but they will recognize the authority of the documents. And as an added bonus, it means you may legally keep much of any, shall we say, ‘loot’ , that you come across in your work.

I had originally hoped that we would have had a few more of you for this undertaking. But I think that if all accept, between you you ought to be able to handle most of what we can throw at you. And for anyone who agrees to work for me I am prepared to offer a signing bonus of ten golden galifars. So what do you say, gentlemen? Will you be my troubleshooters?

Arrowhawk

First Post
Whyre is quite impressed with the mayor's charisma and her gift with the spoken word, a talent which suddenly seems inadequate in himself.
”I will undertake those tasks you would charge me with so long as they are defensible and do not bring shame upon me.”

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Evert rubs his chin thoughtfully at the proposal. Honest pay, patronage, and work bettering the lives of the common folk (even if they were Brelish). The more calculating part of his mind realized as well that any aid he could give the Brelish people as a Cyran would help raise the reputations of other refugees if only by a minuscule amount.
It seemed like a worthy pastime and with the War over his skills could be put to other uses. Besides, 10 galifers buys a lot of hot meals and warm beds. He nods his head as he comes to a decision and addresses the mayor on his turn to speak. "Your task is truly a worthy one and shows your devotion to the people you serve. It would be my pleasure to work under your employ to protect and better the lives of your people."

ghostcat

First Post
Mez is not one for B.S. and so when the clerk orders everyone to stand, his instinctive reaction is to stay seated. Remembering that he is supposed to be on his best behaviour, he stands almost immediately and hopes no one noticed his tardiness.

In response to the mayor's greetings he says "Its a pleasure to meet such a well informed lady. I must admit that my mentors where most put out to discover that you even knew about me."

Following the mayor describing the problem, Mez simply says "Count me in."

Arrowhawk

First Post
Whyre seems lost in a thought as the others tender their allegiance.
Still, her speech and delivery were almost too perfect, as if they were rehearsed. I am not knowledgeable about nobility and diplomacy, but I do know that politicians use words like a tool

Given his suspicious nature, Whyre tries to determine how sincere the mayor actually is.

OOC: Apologies, that second roll is a mistake. First time using Dice Roller and I hit Save and Add More and I didn't see that it had recorded the roll.

Last edited:

Remove ads