D&D 5E Yes to factionalism. No to racism.

Scribe

Legend
I haven't finished it, but I've seen a lot of times Regill was arguing for something that was extremely short-sighted and obviously counterproductive, but I guess it's a discussion for a different thread. He'll pretty much always argue against the Good thing, even if it makes more sense. The difference is, if you pick the Good thing anyway, he'll usually rationalize it.
I won't spoil it, but nothing in his quest arcs ever jumped out as like...psychotic evil. Like how most of the Evil dialogue options are 'haha now die!' for some stupid reason.

What it says, is that Regill wouldn't perform a Good deed unless it was militarily prudent (killing the wounded is his first act we see) Daeron is gleefully selfish and self centered, and has no care for anyone but his own hedonistic whims, and that our Inquisitor 'grimaced' as Ember bid him farewell.

Do you think Regill would have?
Haven’t got to that part yet. Does it make a difference to your alignment if you “grimace” but don’t change your behaviour?

Scribe

Legend
Haven’t got to that part yet. Does it make a difference to your alignment if you “grimace” but don’t change your behaviour?
Yes, I believe it does.

He's not some bloodthirsty reaver. He's not a closet cultist. He's an appointed official who's duty is to protect the city, by law.

My impression, is he regrets having burned Ember (I also killed him for it on my first play through...) while Regill for example? Wouldn't care at all.

Yes, the evil dialogue options are disappointing... Despite the game being well-written in some other aspects.

With regard to the grimacing, that's why I still think he at least thinking himself LN: he's obviously unsettled by his mistake and that Ember isn't a bad apple. He's flirting the line between LN and LE, maybe changing several time over the course of a month (given how the game's alignment wheel work for the MC)

I won't spoil it, but nothing in his quest arcs ever jumped out as like...psychotic evil. Like how most of the Evil dialogue options are 'haha now die!' for some stupid reason.
The player Evil options are definitely of the very "Man what? Why would I ever do that entirely counterproductive and insane thing?! type. There's a lot of randomly attacking people, encouraging pointless murders and so on.

Regill is clearly not from that school, but more the opportunistic, self-denying/closeted kind of Evil (which isn't available to the PC). He reminds me a bit of the guy from the Villain's Handbook, dude with the dogs.

PF:WotR is a tremendous illustration of why "mechanical" alignment is a bad idea though. The best example is trying to play LG. Many of the Lawful choices early in the game, for some reason border on or indeed are Lawful Evil (even if the game just says they're "Lawful"). Some are outright sadistic stuff that Judge Dredd would blanche at and labelled as Lawful. But if you don't pick a bunch of those, and just pick stuff labelled Good, your alignment will drift from LG to NG, potentially before the end of the first act.

Whilst the dialogue options in WotR (unlike KM) are all labelled just Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic, they're actually NG, NE, LN and CN (mechanically), and it's just hiding that. And the writing makes Evil and Lawful very frequently look like Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil respectively (for the player). They say they were trying to improve things by doing it this way but I think it makes it worse.

Scribe

Legend
The player Evil options are definitely of the very "Man what? Why would I ever do that entirely counterproductive and insane thing?! type. There's a lot of randomly attacking people, encouraging pointless murders and so on.

Regill is clearly not from that school, but more the opportunistic, self-denying/closeted kind of Evil (which isn't available to the PC). He reminds me a bit of the guy from the Villain's Handbook, dude with the dogs.

PF:WotR is a tremendous illustration of why "mechanical" alignment is a bad idea though. The best example is trying to play LG. Many of the Lawful choices early in the game, for some reason border on or indeed are Lawful Evil (even if the game just says they're "Lawful"). Some are outright sadistic stuff that Judge Dredd would blanche at and labelled as Lawful. But if you don't pick a bunch of those, and just pick stuff labelled Good, your alignment will drift from LG to NG, potentially before the end of the first act.

Whilst the dialogue options in WotR (unlike KM) are all labelled just Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic, they're actually NG, NE, LN and CN (mechanically), and it's just hiding that. And the writing makes Evil and Lawful very frequently look like Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil respectively (for the player). They say they were trying to improve things by doing it this way but I think it makes it worse.
There is something to this, but to me it's a baby and bathwater scenario.

I didn't have an issue with remaining LG, but you do have to game the system a bit.

I actually have up on my Aeon run as the lawful dialogue was getting annoying.

Remove ads