• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You don't need silver to kill a werewolf??

Irda Ranger

First Post
I just noticed this as I hadn't used werewolf's yet. I don't think there's any question of my reading of the rules (werewolves lack the equivalent of troll healing), so you can kill them without silver weapons?

This is bull:):):):).

keterys

First Post
Have you needed silver in any edition of D&D? I remember generic magic weapons working in older editions before 3.5 (OD&D on up), silver only _helping_ but not making a big difference in 3.5, any types of spells always being good, etc.

I might not be remembering OD&D right, though. It's been... a bunch of years :)

Lycanthropes in 4th ed, regenerate unless they are hit with silver
this makes them hard to kill without it ;)

Been a trope of fiction/media for ages that BIG damage can kill lycanthropes, not just silver : dynamite, fire etc. So it's ok by me.

I'll take 4th ed's way of not forcing players ot carry a golf bag of weapons, of specific materials, any day!

I'm the DM, if I want, I can say they won't die without a silver weapon, if I chose.
Not hard to do, ya know :)

Nastiest damn werewolf I've ever seen is in the "Vampire the Masquerade; BLoodlines" game DAMN that is one tough SOB to fight!! Eeeek!
(Best RPG/1st person PC game there is, apart from maybe Fallout3)

OchreJelly

First Post
If you would prefer to make them more unkillable, take the troll healing power from the troll entry and apply it to the werewolf stats. Presto! A werewolf that gets up after it's been knocked down. It's probably a pretty easy patch. Write it as follows:

If the werewolf is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer by an attack from a non-silver weapon, it rises on its next turn (as a move action) with 10 hit points.

ki11erDM

Explorer
The 4e WW is just not well implemented as far as I am concerned. One of the few things that really bugs me in the MM.

I lament the loss of the big bad wolf.

keterys

First Post
Did you in 2e, 1e, or Basic? What edition of dnd did you? What the heck are people talking about that werewolves are somehow less silver-affected than previous?

lukelightning

First Post
Back in first edition you needed silver or better weapons to damage them. No amount of hitting with a mundane weapon would work. But since everyone past level 3 or so had a +1 weapon, the werewolf's immunity was trivial.

I do think that making it impossible to kill werewolves without silver is a bad idea (similarly, I think it should be ok to kill trolls without fire or acid...just difficult). Remember that in folklore sometimes all it took was a small amount of silver and *thud*, dead werewolf, like it was super-poison-kryptonite to them. This would be a situation in which it is impossible to kill them unless you had some silver in which case they would be a trivial threat.

Remove ads