You Have The Power! New Masters of the Universe RPG!

Legends of Grayskull is an upcoming tabletop RPG based on the 1980s Masters of the Universe cartoon show.

motu_image.jpg

The game is being produced by Fandom (the owners of D&D Beyond) who announced a Dragon Prince RPG just a week ago. Like the latter, it will use the Cortex Prime system, which the company acquired from Margaret Weis Productions last year, and it's coming out in 2021, with public playtesting in advance of release. It's a 250-page hardcover book with pull-out maps.

"In the Legends of Grayskull tabletop roleplaying game, players can customize or create characters to overcome high-stakes challenges and find epic fun in Eternia, a world where magic meets technology. The experience brings together the core roleplaying game, a digital companion and toolset, a community content creation and sharing platform, and an organized play program that gives fans the opportunity to participate in a connected, living story with other players around the world."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Fistos second cousin twice removed really?

Im not familair with the Cortext Prime system (because it looked too complex) anyone want to comment on the ‘fit’ to MoTU.

I diduse the old D20 MoTU document that was going around a while back...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fistos second cousin twice removed really?

Im not familair with the Cortext Prime system (because it looked too complex) anyone want to comment on the ‘fit’ to MoTU.

I diduse the old D20 MoTU document that was going around a while back...

I'm not directly familiar with it, but I've always heard good things, particularly in regards to being malleable to different genres and allowing PCs of wildly different power levels in the fiction to play nice together.

pemerton

Legend
i've played a fair bit of Marvel Heroic and also a Fantasy Hack of that system. It's not particularly complex (assuming D&D as a baseline). I don't know the Cotex Prime variant but assuming it's fairly similar it should do MotU pretty straightforwardly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
i've played a fair bit of Marvel Heroic and also a Fantasy Hack of that system. It's not particularly complex (assuming D&D as a baseline). I don't know the Cotex Prime variant but assuming it's fairly similar it should do MotU pretty straightforwardly.

They have a sample Cortex Prime game up on their website, a Thunderbirds homage, and without prior system familiarity I found it a bit overwhelming when I checked it out this afternoon...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They have a sample Cortex Prime game up on their website, a Thunderbirds homage, and without prior system familiarity I found it a bit overwhelming when I checked it out this afternoon...

Cortex uses its dice a little differently than some games.

You will assemble a pool of dice for the test, and roll them.
  • You pick two, and add them. That's your result.
  • If any dice came up 1, that's a "hitch" or complication the GM may add to the narrative/situation.
  • If all dice come up 1, that's a botch. Bad things happen.
  • In some situations, you will also pick another one of the dice to be the "effects" die - only the number of sides matter, not the number you rolled. If you have no eligible dice to choose, your effect die is assumed to be a d4.

In the Thunderbirds homage game (called Hammerheads) - it is a simple Stat + Skill. Take the die in your Attribute, your die in the skill, roll them.

There maybe assets you have, points you can spend, or pools you can draw from to add dice to your pool for your test.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases