• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You know 4th edition has succeeded when...

JoeGKushner

First Post
. . . I can create a player character that conforms to every last bit of my mental image after having owned the PHB for only two hours.

That's impressive.

Unless playing a point buy system with some very generous points for 'background' skills, I've found every edition of D&D has failed for that.

So kudos amigo. It's good to be able to get exactly what you want.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Threads like this are why I think I may need to just take a long break from ENWorld. People still have nothing better to do than try to skirt around the edition war thread ban with poorly disguised gloating.

I hardly see someone posting about their enthusiasm for the game as skirting an edition-war ban.

The irony here is that, if anything, it's your post that is doing exactly what you claim the thread to be doing.

...I actually look forward to prepping adventures once again.

Yes! I'm currently working on a 1st to 2nd level adventure and the ease of which I've been able to break it down into monster/treasure/trap/RP, etc. encounters is sheer awesome. That, and making up entirely new monsters is a relief; I don't have to conform to player expectations any more :)

It has succeeded when my the group has shifted from 4 guys to 4 guys and 3 girls!

Now that's what I call a success :D

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That's impressive.

Unless playing a point buy system with some very generous points for 'background' skills, I've found every edition of D&D has failed for that.

So kudos amigo. It's good to be able to get exactly what you want.

My concept wasn't too grand, admittedly -- I wanted a fighter based on Tristan from the King Arthur film.

I ended up with a Ranger who took the appropriate powers, feats, and skills to mimic Tristan's archery skills and unique melee fighting style in the film. Easy. I chose Dragonborn as his race, simlly because I'd heard so many people squealing about it on the forums, I figured that it must be fun.

The impressive thing for me was that I was able to locate, read, and comprehend all of the character options while simultaneously eating pizza, watching Star Wars: Epidode V, and discussing the flaws of Sim City IV. I haven't played the game yet, but character creation has definitely been a pleasant experience for me.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I wanted a fighter and ended up with a ranger. OK

Okay, I guess that you either haven't seen the King Arthur film, are unaware that "fighter" is not a proper noun as used in my previous post, or are being deliberately pedantic. I wanted a martial combatant who could kick ass with archery and who could walk through the battlefield, employing his sword in an almost artful fashion. D&D 4e gave me all of that, as indicated.

Remove ads