• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You know 4th edition has succeeded when...

hectorse

Explorer
Okay, I guess that you either haven't seen the King Arthur film, are unaware that "fighter" is not a proper noun as used in my previous post, or are being deliberately pedantic. I wanted a martial combatant who could kick ass with archery and who could walk through the battlefield, employing his sword in an almost artful fashion. D&D 4e gave me all of that, as indicated.

It almost makes me wish I was a player...

But since I love the new monsters I will still kick your ass

Shemeska

Adventurer
Players not asking for XP, or being interested in plot development has little to nothing to do with what system you're running a campaign in. It has almost everything to do with having good players and having a good DM. If your players had that reaction to your last session, I have to congratulate you for being a really cool DM who hooked them, but don't water down your success by feeling it's due to a system change.

I've been hooked by a DM who ran various games in Alternity, Shadowrun 3rd, and D&D 3.0. Her ability to craft a wicked story and draw players in was independant of those systems, some of which are mechanical nightmares at times.

I'd like to think I've done a pretty good job with 3e, and I don't see anything improving or going downhill if I switched to 2e, 4e, or a deck of cards and a bent penny. Regardless of running 3e or 4e or Pathfinder or GURPS, I'll gloss around 90% of the system, and there won't be a single NPC with more stats behind the screen than story notes.

hectorse

Explorer
Players not asking for XP, or being interested in plot development has little to nothing to do with what system you're running a campaign in. It has almost everything to do with having good players and having a good DM. If your players had that reaction to your last session, I have to congratulate you for being a really cool DM who hooked them, but don't water down your success by feeling it's due to a system change.

I've been hooked by a DM who ran various games in Alternity, Shadowrun 3rd, and D&D 3.0. Her ability to craft a wicked story and draw players in was independant of those systems, some of which are mechanical nightmares at times.

I'd like to think I've done a pretty good job with 3e, and I don't see anything improving or going downhill if I switched to 2e, 4e, or a deck of cards and a bent penny. Regardless of running 3e or 4e or Pathfinder or GURPS, I'll gloss around 90% of the system, and there won't be a single NPC with more stats behind the screen than story notes.

"Some may say that it has not much to do with 4th edition but the truth is that the way it makes it easy for me to run games, leaves me much more mindshare to breathe and pace myself with descriptions vivid RPing and ad libing"

While in a way what yo say IS TRUE, my experience was postively directly affected by the much less mental intensive Monster and Skill challenge rules that allowed me to think more about the world and less about the math.

drothgery

First Post
You know 4th edition has succeeded when...

... dialgo changes his signature to 'D&D 4th Edition (2008) is the one true game. All others are just poor imitations of the real thing.' :D

Foundry of Decay

First Post
So far it has been a success at our table for a couple reasons.

The first (and foremost) is that we are gaming again after stopping over 2 years ago. We replaced the void with Warcraft until that got incredibly stale at which point 4e as announced. Since then we've been churning out character ideas and still are giddy to get the chance to play for a night.

Secondly this system is the first one we've played in that not ONE of us have tried to houserule in any major way yet. I'm not saying there aren't mistakes, just that myself and one player aren't obsessing over changing some core mechanic of the rules.

For example, I've had many campaigns ruined after the first session because they were little more than an exercise in trying out the new spell system of the month. We flip-flopped from point buy systems, shoehorning the psionics system, a home-made point buy system, Arcana Unearthed, Iron Heroes, Arcana Evolved, a mix of houseruled vancian and Arcana Evolved and finally just back to 3.5 magic system. Another player recently told me that he never played mages or clerics because he hated the laundry list of spells that they always seemed to have.

I've now DM'd five sessions of the new edition and not once has a new system for casting/powers/whatever even been suggested. And like the OP, we had even forgot the XP tally from two nights of gaming simply because we wanted to see where it went next.

Good times, so far!

Remove ads