"You possess a spellbook."

garyh

First Post
Question - do 4e wizards get their first spellbook free? The way it's phrased on page 158 sounds like you do, but doesn't say so explicitly. I know they did in 3.x, so I assumed they did in 4e as well, but then I read it closer and couldn't tell. Other thoughts that occurred to me:

Free book - lets wizards have leftover GP to cast a few rituals.

Paying for spellbook - puts them on par with folks buying armor and fancy weapons.

Anyone have a definite answer?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think they get it free. At least one other person here thinks they do not (and while I disagree with them I felt they made a reasonable argument for why they cost money).

fba827

Adventurer
spellbook and ritual book for free.
:)
that's my take on it (and i believe there is a wotc customer service email cut and pasted on to these boards somewhere that says that, but can't find the source so nothing other than my opinion right now)

Byronic

First Post
that's my take on it (and i believe there is a wotc customer service email cut and pasted on to these boards somewhere that says that, but can't find the source so nothing other than my opinion right now)

Except of course that for Wizards spell and ritual book are one and the same.

cdrcjsn

First Post

slight nitpick, but their Spellbook IS their ritual book. They don't get two books for free.

fba827

Adventurer
Err that's what I get for fast typing without checking myself ... or at least I will blame it on careless typing regardless of whether or not that is the actual cause ....

i meant to say

"spell and ritual book" not spellbook and ritual book.. :)

Last edited:

I've posted this before and I still think it's unfair for non cleric and non wizards to not get something worth 50 gold that their class would use. Just doesn't make sense to me.

DreamChaser

Explorer
I've posted this before and I still think it's unfair for non cleric and non wizards to not get something worth 50 gold that their class would use. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd assume that this is worked into the class balance, since gold is so closely balanced out by level now.

Perhaps that is why neither class has the equivalent of "rogue tactics"

DC

I don't quite follow what a class feature has to do with two classes starting with 50 gold extra worth of gear. I'm not saying that the wizard or cleric shouldn't have the ritual book to start, just that other classes should start with something worth 50 gold since that is 50 percent of starting funds.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases