• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You reap what you sow - GSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyebeams

Explorer
Fifth Element said:
My point is, he may very well have said the very same thing to the Malhavoc decision makers. We simply don't know. We don't know what he did. We seem to be jumping to conclusions here. Let's stick to what we know.

And my point is that your point isn't relevant. It is about what he said in an accessible public forum.

Mr. Mearls stated publicly that he thought all OGC should be freely available. We have no evidence whatsoever that he ever did anything in his capacity as a game designer to contradict that.

Yes we do. He failed to express even mild regret that his own material wouldn't qualify and in fact, didn't extract anything from any commercial work he had ever done to demonstrate that he'd practice what he preached.

You continue to miss the point. We don't know if he had any influence in the decision-making for the OGC declaration. We can assume things, but we need to realize they're only assumptions.

No, you're missing the point. I am arguing against the assertion that his words should be taken at less than face value because of something about which we have no real knowledge.

Mr. Mearls is an ENWorld member and he posts here. We do not ascribe motives to other posters. We should not assume things about him and then judge him based on those assumptions.

You keep saying I'm saying these things I am not saying. You keep assuming I an assuming things that are convenient for your argument, but which are inconsistent with my statements. Basically, you're not really honestly responding to me at this point.

eyebeams

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
Or we could stay on topic.

Regardless of who designated what content OGC in Iron Heroes and any WotC books that Mr. Mearls has worked on, the facts remain that Mr. Mearls proposed an OGC wiki and that many publishers rejected the proposal based, not on anything that Mr. Mearls said or did, nor based on who Mr. Mearls worked for, but specifically because they did not want their OGC to be re-used or made available in a form that made re-use easy for other publishers and fans.

Arguing about whether or not it was rude of Mr. Mearls to propose the project is a completely unrelated issue that sidesteps the written record of events and diverts attention away from the real issue, which was that many publishers were playing dirty poker by trying to place demands of non-use on content already desiganted as OGC.

There is a long-running public record of the OGC wiki debate in several message board threads and blog posts. I don't recall (nor can I locate) a single instance of a publisher rejecting the OGC wiki because Mr. Mearls wrote for WotC or other companies that didn't release a great deal of OGC, or because they felt Mr. Mearls to be self-righteous. No, without exception, AFAICT, the publishers who rejected the wiki did so because they wanted to retroactively restrict already open content.

Because of course, there's no way evidence of sincerity and shared risk would have influenced anyone. Nosiree. 'Cause everyone thinks like a 'bot.

eyebeams

Explorer
Maggan said:
He probably means that he thinks Mongoose OGC is crap.

/M

I should clarify that there are differences that make the metaphor less than fully applicable. Full time busboys and line cooks in my country make more than 18K a year to start, for instance.

MongooseMatt

First Post
eyebeams said:
I should clarify that there are differences that make the metaphor less than fully applicable. Full time busboys and line cooks in my country make more than 18K a year to start, for instance.

Ah, that old chestnut.

To explain, Eyebeams is thoroughly ignorant of the fact that Mongoose staff are among the best paid in the industry. He is completely unaware that, being based in the UK, they _have_ to be.

cangrejoide

First Post
Well I can say with Mongoose going forward with this OGC wiki ( again you show your true merits ) , we just need to stand and wait . To see what other publishers are honestly pro OGC.

Its time to Put their OGC where their mouth is.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
eyebeams, your snarky, confrontational posts are not doing this thread any good. Don't post in here again.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
cangrejoide said:
To see what other publishers are honestly pro OGC.

Its time to Put their OGC where their mouth is.

Without knowing Mr Sprange at all, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't one of his motivations behind this move. Not out of the kindness of his heart, mind you.

Probably out of the mischievousness of his heart, more like it. :D

I suspect that some companies, mostly smaller ones, will want to add content. I suspect that the larger ones won't even acknowledge the existence of this undertaking, and will become very agitated if it is brought up as a shining example.

Namely ... no, let's not go there. I have a few likely suspects that I would love to have contribute to such a wiki, but who would rather ... not contribute, to put it mildly.

:cool:

/M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads