You Wanted Character Themes, You Got 'Em - Dragon 399 ToC

And the amount of Themes! We're getting 15 this month, while the Dark Sun campaign book only had 10. Altogether we will now have 25 choices for themes.

I hope this series continues into next month, because theres a few choice themes that could have been written up. Like a crafting theme like Blacksmith, or the theme I see discussed most in homebrew themes, the Pirate.

I hope that Dragon accepts themes as submissions in the future.

Mummolus

First Post
One thing I'm actually really looking forward to is divine themes - we don't currently have any, since the only themes available are from a setting without living gods.

Mentat55

First Post
One thing I'm actually really looking forward to is divine themes - we don't currently have any, since the only themes available are from a setting without living gods.

I think a theme for every single core 4e deity (or at least the non-evil ones) would be great. While appropriate for divine characters, they would also allow you to create non-divine PCs that are devoted to a god.

Contender of Kord or Hunter of Melora, anyone?

Kinneus

Explorer
Awesome. I love themes. There's room for expansion, but the current list is a great start.

Anyone else think themes make Background feel kind of redundant? Especially if they train a skill, like Escaped Slave.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Awesome. I love themes. There's room for expansion, but the current list is a great start.

Anyone else think themes make Background feel kind of redundant? Especially if they train a skill, like Escaped Slave.

I don't think so. While everyone usually concentrates on the minor mechanical benefit that the backgrounds provided, I always thought that answering the questions posed by each background where more important.

Mummolus

First Post

I think themes are really what backgrounds *should* have been.

I think themes are really what backgrounds *should* have been.

I really like the two working togather, mt background giving me eaither a skill as a class skill, or a bonus to a skill... well a theme gives you new suit of power options.

mix and match of Race, Class, Background, and Theme all working togather. giving you 4 multi options... and the class having builds to make it more moduel...

Remove ads