You Wanted Character Themes, You Got 'Em - Dragon 399 ToC

The Little Raven

First Post
At first, separating the themes into 4 different articles seemed like an attempt to make the content seem like more than it actually was. Then I counted the amount of themes and noticed that there are more than there were in Dark Sun, and those get 2 page spreads for each theme, so this is effectively 30 pages of themes (might even be more if they give more fluff and stuff for them). All in all, I'm very happy with this.

At first, separating the themes into 4 different articles seemed like an attempt to make the content seem like more than it actually was. Then I counted the amount of themes and noticed that there are more than there were in Dark Sun, and those get 2 page spreads for each theme, so this is effectively 30 pages of themes (might even be more if they give more fluff and stuff for them). All in all, I'm very happy with this.

that is counting the paragon paths that keyed off the themes... it could be almost double that number of pages.

quick page count... if each articale has 4 themes, each 2 pages, and 1 paragon path per theme (should be 1 page each but might be 2 with extra fluff) that is 12-16 pages...

I wonder if they might have broken it up as they did...

Character Themes: Heroes of Nature and Lore

Character Themes: Heroes of the Tome

Character Themes: Heroes of Virtue

Character Themes: Heroes for Hire

becuse each set has only 1 paragon path for the set... so that would be 8 pages + 2 pages +1 pic each might make it 11 pages each, and that is still pretty hefty

then again DS had feats too... these could be pretty big articles...

JoeGKushner

First Post
It's about time. A few months more like this, assuming the articles are good, might be enough to make me sub again.

I'm not trying to bust balls but back in 'the day', love 'em or hate 'em, every month Dragon magazine usually had 'Class Acts' that had some game mechanics for your character based on some type of role. Online Dragon is so far behind the game in supporting the latest innovations that it's a damn shame and reading the editorial there, sounded like they would continue to remain behind.

4e looks like it has some sweet design points, like monsters, that Dragon or Dungeon should be hitting every month with heavy support as opposed to the support we've been getting.

I'm also waiting to see what is scheduled to come out down the line. While its good that many find the online sub a great value, I was VERY happy to not be a subscriber when WoTC announced the cancellation of a quarter's worth of products. It's one thing to shift the functionality online, it's another to cancel 4 months worth of products because to me, that directly effects the net worth of the sub. It's not like WoTC said, "You know, since we cancelled all of those products, we'rel owering the price of a sub for the first four months."

If the content is going to be late, cancelled, or moved around in such quick fashion, they might want to consider where the price needs to be. this is especially true if they're now claiming that Dragon and Dungeon are part of the 'core' development process. Because you know, back in the day classes, books, and other things were never tied into Dungeon or Dragon magazine. They kinda just floated out there with the 'Official' branding an in house joke or something.

But seriously, I hope these themes are solid and that more good works are coming not just in the magazines but in print.

Or that the price is coming down.

Incenjucar

Legend
Well, with this wonderful news, I've purchased a month of DDI for the first time since the Online CB came out. If things continue like this, I'll go back to annual subscriptions. <3

MrGrenadine

Explorer
...which, if true, means they are instead putting that work into future issues or releases, more than likely.

It's six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Based solely on recent DDI output, you reveal yourself to be highly optimistic. (And don't get me wrong, thats a terrific quality.)

Remove ads