• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Campaign Ideas?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

BigVanVader

First Post
Asking this to me is like asking for crazy. I have oh so many ideas my players refuse to let me try. Lets see what I can list.

• I have a idea for a spelljammer ripoff (I got frustrated with trying to find actual spelljammer info so I just stared making things up.)
  • I want to run a campaign where the players just manage an item shop.
  • I want to do a maid RPG dungeon keeper cross over.
  • I also like the idea of a detective game. (I just don't have the talent/time to write mysteries.)
  • I want to do a escaflowne pacific rim medieval mecha smashup. (The only idea my players dislike more then my spelljammer copy.)
  • Oh and there was always that post apocalypse wall mart idea I never had a chance at.

Please, go into more detail about these great sounding ideas. That's what this thread is for, go hog wild man.

One of my ideas was a superhero game. You had a typical slightly futuristic city with a variety of district types including a large area of slums that didn't get the same degree of protection as the better parts of the city and hence were an area which a lot of criminal gangs used to hide out. The city had an organised team of superheroes, with senior and junior sections, as well as some powered vigilantes operating in the slums. Then there were supervillains from the good parts of the city who regularly fought the super-team in disguise and carried on their normal lives - people knew but couldn't prove that a well known businessman and philanthropist was also one of the nastier powered crime bosses.

And then the super-team lost, the bad guys took over, and the players are remnants of the junior members of the team and various others surviving in the slums trying to organise a resistance that would take back the city from the crime lord(s) who now ruled it. Having to make deals with the gangs, survive the attempts to track them down by lesser supervillains, even just getting by day to day in a district where their previous wealth and status meant very little.

Some of the influences: the Dark Angel TV series, the Heroes Rise text adventures, the Avengers (Marvel) comics, Shadowrun, and various gangster movies.

I still might run this one day, if I can get a rules set that I like and my potential players would tolerate.

nomotog

Explorer
Please, go into more detail about these great sounding ideas. That's what this thread is for, go hog wild man.

Ok.

• I have a idea for a spelljammer ripoff (I got frustrated with trying to find actual spelljammer info so I just stared making things up.) It's basically spelljammer only the ships don't run off magic. There are space winds so you can just use sails. Suns would orbit around planets. You would have large two sided castles as space stations. Elves would be the antagonist with magical sails on their ships and a strict class structure. I piched the idea to my players and they just don't like the concept of sailing ships in space, so I didn't develop the idea too much more.

• I want to run a campaign where the players just manage an item shop. The idea comes from Recttear and basically the players would run a item shop buying and selling well whatever they want. I have ideas for mechanics about how buying and selling would work. The players would decorate their shop to try and attract different kinds of customers that might come with different kinds of challenges.

• I want to do a maid RPG dungeon keeper cross over. There is already a maid RPG dungeon keeper cross over in the maid RPG book. I don't like that one too much though so I might tweak it. The idea is the players would manage a dungeon. Stock it with monsters/traps and then protect it from adventures.

• I also like the idea of a detective game. (I just don't have the talent/time to write mysteries.) I have a few detective game ideas. One would be in ebberon. The idea would be to work in a lot of different spells as mystery components and player tools. Like I had a spell that could tell you if a person had ever killed anyone ever. Another was a magic dagger that could talk to other weapons. (I did actually run a detective game with my players. It was Arkham: Consulting Detective and it went over well, but I only had the one adventure.)

• I want to do a escaflowne pacific rim medieval mecha smashup. (The only idea my players dislike more then my spelljammer copy.) Giant marrionette animated with magic armored and filled with punk versions of classic mecha weapons. Like racks of cross bows on the shoulders, or a sword that is kept inside a forge that keeps the blade white hot. The idea is everything about the mecha would be very low tech and low magic. In addition I had an idea for elves ridding giant animals like mecha too. They would put the cockpit on a giant collar. I have two ideas with this. It could be people Vs elves or everyone Vs giant monsters from the sea.

• Oh and there was always that post apocalypse wall mart idea I never had a chance at. Wallmart gets so big that it basically controls all aspects of the economy. You work at wallmart, you shop at wallmart, you even live in wallmart housing. Everything is owned by wallmart and that collapses the economy. Now you have people living in giant malls managed by armies of working robots who don't know the economy is gone. Your credit ratting would be a stat allowing you to buy items found in massive vending machines or do other changes in the environment. Like you might rent a fresh apartment if you need a place to hide from rode warrior like gangs who turn shopping carts into battle buggies. Or you might use our rent a massively unsafe hair drawer to defend from a mob of killer security bots. The kind of idea is paranoia only I know nothing about paranoia, so maybe nothing like it.

Last edited:

dracomilan

Explorer
Here are some of the campaign ideas my players vetoed in the last 20 years...

- playing a scro-only adventuring band shipwracked on a far away planet which turns out to be Taladas

- playing in Adhalaid, a monoteistic campaign world where the old god is getting less and less devotion due to the scientific, agnostic mindset... So that ancient demons and faeries and magic are coming back to the world

- Playing a full Alternity game, based on a Dark Matter/X Files/Fringe mix

- playing a Dark Heresy campaign full of Dark Eldars and ancisnt space hulks...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh and there was always that post apocalypse wall mart idea I never had a chance at. Wallmart gets so big that it basically controls all aspects of the economy. You work at wallmart, you shop at wallmart, you even live in wallmart housing. Everything is owned by wallmart and that collapses the economy. Now you have people living in giant malls managed by armies of working robots who don't know the economy is gone. Your credit ratting would be a stat allowing you to buy items found in massive vending machines or do other changes in the environment. Like you might rent a fresh apartment if you need a place to hide from rode warrior like gangs who turn shopping carts into battle buggies. Or you might use our rent a massively unsafe hair drawer to defend from a mob of killer security bots. The kind of idea is alpha complex only I know nothing about alpha complex, so maybe nothing like it.

Paranoia- any edition- would be a good fit for that.

nomotog

Explorer
Paranoia- any edition- would be a good fit for that.

Paranoia that is what it was. I don't know why I thought it was called alpha complex. :S I did look a little into paranoia. It kind of fits conceptually being that they are both PA games set in this still functioning, but far out of date utopia. Though in the details things don't line up as well. The original wallmart idea was for d20 modern. (It wasn't my idea I just rather liked it.) I can't find the original posting anymore, so If i wanted to do it I would have to make it my own.

Talking about it here that is making me want to try and revive the idea, but that would be a little tricky. The system I would want to use would be D&D next because that Is what I am using and I kind of like it, but it doesn't have any modern/futuristic stuff for it yet. I suppose I could make it a medieval PA wallmart game, but that is just getting silly. :p

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I'm tempted to do a one-shot based on the Grotesque Tactics parody RPG video games. Should the player's enjoy it, I'll continue it, using "Hero's Amnesia" to explain dropping back to level 1 each episode and allowing them to rearrange skill trees. Might use AD&D2E with the player's option books for it.

I'm currently recruiting for a World Tree game, and for the first time ever will ask interested players what kind of story they're interested in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads