Your d20...an inny or outy?

delericho

Legend
I mostly DM. I make most of my rolls in the open.

I try really hard to "let the dice fall as they may", and feel that rolling in the open helps keep me honest in that matter. I've had some discussions with other GMs in the group, who lean more towards fudging for "storytelling" purposes, so I'm not unaware of the counter-argument... I just don't personally subscribe to it!

It's never bothered me if the GM rolls behind a screen, book, or whatever. Sometimes the monsters need a nudge in one direction or the other to make the game more enjoyable.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Without starting a different thread for a slightly different question (thought about it)....

If the GM rolls behind a screen, do you automatically assume he does it in order to fudge rolls?

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I DM a little more than half of the time. I roll dice in the open the vast majority of the time. I hide some rare rolls that the PCs either don't know are happening or have no chance of recognizing the outcome of the test.

Without starting a different thread for a slightly different question (thought about it)....

If the GM rolls behind a screen, do you automatically assume he does it in order to fudge rolls?
When I play with a GM that rolls behind the screen (not often lately - the other GM in our group has adopted my roll in the open style) I have assumed that the DM fudges rolls, but I don't see that as the motivation for rolling behind the screen. I think many (most?) do it to preserve some mystery.

No I don't assume anything. Sometimes a GM likes to roll behind the screen because s/he is more comfortable doing so and maybe they have always done it that way. This doesn't mean they are or are not fudging.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Lately, mostly DM. I roll in the open, but not for any particular reason. I roll a good 5 d20s at once, though (speeds up combat), and I don't tell them what I'm rolling for until after the roles. Then I narrate the results.

The Red King

First Post
My fellow Gamemasters and Players, a question....

Do you prefer your GM roll out in the open? Or utilize secret throws often or all the time?

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with this question. I've always leaned towards rolling behind the screen. This way, the players aren't focussed dice throws, trying to figure an enemy's bonus to hit and other revealed stats. Rolling behind the screen, to me, is more about story telling--the player has to wait for any result and live it through the GM's description.

The player may figure what the bad guy needs to hit, and when he sees it out in the open, some of the drama is spoiled because the player already knows that the bad guy hit and damage is coming. I'd much rather that information come across in my description of what is happening rather than via the dice.

On the other hand, players like to see rolls out in the open. They certainly trust the GM more if they see it. If the GM gets hot on the dice and rolls a couple of criticals back-to-back, there's no argument if the throw is out in the open.

So, both sides of this arguement have important, persuasive points.

What about you?

What's your speed on this issue?

EDIT: When answering, please indicate whether you're primarily a GM or a Player! I think it will be interesting to see if there is a divide between the two on this issue.

MY ANSWER: I'm the GM 99.99% of the time, as my players enjoy playing more than they like GMing. And, I'm one of the minority odd creatures that likes GMing better than playing.

I prefer rolling behind the screen.

Almost always the GM, and I always roll behind the screen. It keeps them from seeing when I do roll 2 or 3 back to back 20's and I down grade them to misses when the party is already messed up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are some games (like, say, Cortex-derivatives) that really require the GM to roll in the open. But , in most games, when I'm playing, I have a mild preference to not see what the GM rolls - it gives me mechanical information that I usually would really rather not have.

I don't want to know that the thing hits me on a roll of five or better. Really. I sleep better in ignorance :)

And, honestly, seeing the rolls only helps you know the GM is not cheating when you know the full stats of the monster or what have you. If you don't know the stats (or even the mechanic) used by the challenge, seeing the roll is meaningless.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I mostly DM. From a theoretical perspective, I'd prefer to roll out in the open. But from a practical perspective, there's usually a screen shielding my notes in front of me. So I just roll in front of me and the roll happens to be hidden by the screen.

But I'm really hiding the notes, and not the dice roll. Hiding the dice roll just ends up being more convenient for the way I usually set up at the table.

Water Bob

Adventurer
If you don't know the stats (or even the mechanic) used by the challenge, seeing the roll is meaningless.

It's been my experience that players will figure out what the creature needs to hit them. "It hit AC 16 on a 6!" And, I see that influence their choices.

I handwave it away by saying that it's the character, seeing how the thing fights--sizing up the creature.

But, really, I don't want think thinking about dice, as I said in the OP, which is why I'm going back to rolling behind the screen next game.

Remove ads