D&D General Your favorite character experience?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In all your games, what was your favorite character to play? It could be for comic relief, power, effectiveness, or whatever the reason.

Or maybe it wasn't your character, but someone you played with who had the best character ever?

I have been playing 5e D&D for less than a year now, but I have always liked the idea of playing a lightly-armored DEX-based fighter with the two-weapon fighting style. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I have been playing 5e D&D for less than a year now, but I have always liked the idea of playing a lightly-armored DEX-based fighter with the two-weapon fighting style. :)
But do you have a particular character build on this concept you have played and enjoyed (or seen another do so)?

Tallifer

Hero
Elder Karl, Shaman of the Great Bear, who wandered the ruins of the Vaults of Ur, made a pilgrimage to Orcish Valhalla, bore the telekenetic magic of a stone hand, adventured throughout the multiverse of Flail Snails, died on a failed saving throw to a bee sting, rescued a Space Princess from a tomb.

(Mechanically he was a Basic D&D Cleric who could save his friends and hold his own in a fight.)

Talking Painting in Yfals Dungeon.jpg

3.5 Human (turned elf) Ranger

<edit> pointless adventure background synopsis</edit>

One of the fights was so intense that, midfight, the fighter was about to drop - it all depended on this single die roll and, suddenly, everyone stopped and looked at me and the DM said,

"What are you doing?"
I said, "What's wrong?"
he said, "Why are you standing on your chair?"

I was so absorbed into the fight and it was so intense that I had climbed up on my chair and was standing up, over the table, watching things unfold.

Apparently I'd been standing there for almost 10 minutes without even noticing. This game and that character had many of the best moments I've had in my rp career.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Over the years?

Hmm, number one would be Korbach Angist. That's his holy symbol that I use for my avatar that one of the very friendly artists on this site created for me many, many years ago. And the fantastic Hunter McFalls actually drew his portrait for me that's still floating around here too. Korbach began his existence as a 2e Priest of Kossuth from the Faiths and Avatars book. Loved the heck out of him and created a rather extensive religion for him. He then became (many years later in another group) a 3e Half Fire Elemental cleric (using a template from Dragon Magazine) that I just adored playing. Later, he came back again as a Forge Priest of Kossuth in a Storm King's Thunder campaign.

I am recently toying with bringing him back once again in a one shot game as a Circle of Wildfire Druid, still worshipping Kossuth - which would probably be the closest I could come back to his original 2e incarnation.

Believed that fire would purify the world and that water was the physical embodiment of evil. So much fun to play.

Number 2 would probably be a 3e gnomish binder that I got to play in an Eberron campaign. LOVED playing him. Being able to play a, more or less, completely new character every session was just so much fun.

Number 3 would definitely be a warlord I played in 4e. Playing a warlord just hits all the right buttons for me. An eladrin warlord was just a total blast to play but, unfortunately, that campaign got cut rather short and I never got to explore him too much.

Coming in at number 4 would be Sethalarmis. A human rogue who believed that, after eating a stew made from some questionable mushrooms, he was visited by Kord who commanded that he wander the world, seeking to create a tabernacle to straighten crooked men and tighten loose women. He truly believed that the spoon he carried was a holy relic. Based strongly on Lucifer Jones of the fantastic Michael Resnic books. He was SOOOO much fun to play.

I really do wish I got to play more. Four characters spread over nearly thirty years. :( When I do get to play, I just pour my heart into it.

Those of you out there who always play and never DM? I am so jealous of you.

But do you have a particular character build on this concept you have played and enjoyed (or seen another do so)?
My character is a Dragonborn fighter (Scout variant, D&D Wiki) who served two years as a member of Tymanther's Lance Defenders before being promoted to Lance Scout, and being sent out to explore the world beyond Tymanther's borders. Currently working alongside some non-Dragonborn spellcasters on Avernus to save the city of Elturel (Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus). He likes to move fast and hit hard.

after numerous try out, I know that I should aim toward Making character that easily have something to say in any situation, rather than have a game mechanics solution.
I currently play a wizard, selfish, coward, having a devilish point of view of any situation, but he is trap into an heroic path.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm normally a Forever DM, and have been for 30 years, so my PC experience is more limited than I'd like.

One of my favorite PCs, though, was a cleric based off of Friar Tuck - specifically Friar Tuck as depicted in the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. He was a blast.

Another favorite was a goblin fire cleric, raised by gnomes, who was based on the Monotheism option in the 3.0 Deities and Demigods book. She was also a blast - very evangelical. Decrying the validity of others gods, etc.

My generally favorite character concept, though, is "sneaky person who knows a bit of magic" - specifically the John Constantine/Harry D'Amour style archetype. In 5e it's easiest to go with the Thief with Magic Initiate: Cleric for this purpose, and I've done that a couple of times in AL games.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I'm an eternal DM, but my favorite NPC in our current longgoing campaign is Dr Dragomir. Formerly being used as zombie surgeon extraordinaire by the Black Flame necromancers, this small being is a hodgepodge of humanoid parts (self-improvement) with a heart of (maybe literal) gold. The party set him free and eventually adopted him. With a charming lisp, he has developed from a shy beaten dog mentality to a happy and valuable member of the party posse. Besides possessing useful skills as a war surgeon, he is an accomplished tailor that are always ready to lighten burdens and lift the mood with a pair of silken underpants or physical "improvements" of the party pet dog.

And yes, he was originally created as a short wink to Pratchetts Igors, but the party really liked him so he is an ongoing development project for my personal DM fun.

An honorable mention goes to Professor Konstantin, a sentient memory sphere from old Netheril, who specializes in Realmspace cosmology, saltwater fish anatomy, and vegetarian cuisine. Konstantin is a constant companion to the partys dwarven abjuration wizard during downtime and Spelljamming sessions, while probably too much of a sarcastic besserwisser to the rest of the party.

Remove ads