• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite pickup game?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I had to cancel my gaming session this evening, due to a combination of illness and schedule conflict on the parts of a couple of players, and the fact that I didn't have a contingency plan in place.

I should have had a backup plan, a pickup game to use, something that doesn't require plot continuity or huge numbers of rules to be fun for an evening's play.

So, what's your favorite pick-up game?

Last edited:

samursus

Explorer
Usually boardgames or watching a movie...

The group I play with are over 50% complete newbies to RPGs and couldn't pick up a new ruleset very quickly.

Tharian

First Post
What I've done in the past in those situations is pull out some pregens of the appropriate level and run the remaining players through a small one-shot of some sort, usually a small adventure (like an LFR or Pathfinder Society type of adventure).

Other times, we've done what samursus has mentioned and just pulled some DVDs or boardgames off the shelf and have a go at those. My Roar and Firefly DVD sets tend to be the most common choices.

Basically, a chance to unwind and have food and drink are the only requirements we set in place for times when not enough players are around.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
In a Wicked Age, most recently. Zero prep? Yep, we gotcha covered.

A other times, a quick-start and quick-play fantasy game of choice (e.g., Dragon Warriors) + an adventure (or more than one, linked) from the intarwebs = win.

Remove ads