• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite Star Wars villain who dies in the same episode he's introduced

Who is your favorite short-lived Star Wars villain?

Zulithe

Explorer
Grievous. I can't believe how overrated Tarkin is here. To each is own! Grievous had a lot of style. He was mysterius (what? a droid but he has somekind of flesh underneath that metal face, wowza!) Could fight with the best of em (although it was more impressive in Clone Wars) and had a memorable style of speaking that is only rivaled by that of Jabba.

The_Universe

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I'd say Jabba doesn't count when it comes to this poll. Why?

Because Jabba was introduced in Star Wars in 1977, we just didn't see him then.
Vote for the poll that *is*, then - not the one as you wish it to be. :p

Hutts get no love....:(

...which is fine, I guess, since they're hermaphroditic and reproduce at will.

Klaus

First Post
Let's look at each of 'em:

Darth Maul - He had the potential to rise to Vader-level of iconicness (is that a word?). The look was different from Vader's, but equally dramatic (the Devil to Vader's Death). He had the phisicality, and even his stoic lines were good (in a Terminator kind of way). But alas, he got cut in half two movies too soon, by the wrong padawan.

Jango Fett - This one had none of the mystery of his son Boba, he never utilized his armor for good (what's with the Princess Leia-type blasters?) and went down like a punk, without even a crescendo in the soundtrack.

General Grievous - He had potential (although less than Maul). His potential was used to full effect in Clone Wars, but in Episode III he was so cowardly and incompetent that it was hard to believe he was the military genius people called him. More like a bodyguard.

Grand Moff Tarkin - He didn't have any gimmick, other than being a space Nazi. He was evil to the core, he fully believed in his cause, he would order the death of millions without the tiniest emotion, and he ordered around the most powerful man in the galaxy, who treated him like an equal (even though Tarkin had no powers).

Jabba the Hutt - He was seedier side of Star Wars personified, was immune to Jedi mind tricks and who knows what he did to Leia during her slave-girl days? Still, his death wasn't marked by the ultimate victory of the good guys in the movie (like Tarkin's was).

So Tarkin it is.

Pfttp. Greivous wasn't a villain, he was a pawn, a tool, a dupe. Played from one end of the galaxy to the other by Palpatine and Dooku. You can't be a true villain if you're manipulated by the real bad guys.

Same goes for the Fett. Villains have to be able to plan, which clearly Jango couldn't do. First sign of trouble and he high-tails it straight to the Geonosis, leading the Jedi right to them. And he, to borrow a phrase from S.L.J., went down like a b***h. Villains taunt their prey, not get beheaded without saying a peep.

Maul showed some promise. He was able to find Qui Gon on Tatooine, and he showed the inclination to toy with his prey on Naboo. Still, he was just an errand boy, a sidekick, to Palpatine. Plus, he used a double-bladed lightsaber, which is stupid and gimmicky. It was the Star Wars equivalent of Odd Jobs bowler.

Jabba is the only true competition for Tarkin, although good living had turned him into a shadow of the Hutt he used to be by the time of Episode VI. Jabba was able to plan, wasn't someone else's pawn, and showed definite flair when he had Han turned into a wall hanging. He had toadies and lackies, too.

Darthjaye

First Post
Shade said:
I voted for Maul, but it truly is a tie with the Fett for me.

I was terribly disappointed with the Episode 3 version of Grievous. In Clone Wars, he was this impressive juggernaut of destruction who single-handedly slew the jedi. In Sith, he was a sick, cowardly robot whose lightsaber prowess lasted all of 20 seconds before he fled on his ridiculous-looking toy tie-in vehicle. :(

Are you telling me you missed the part at the end of Clone Wars where Mace Windu jacks up Grievous using the force? He attempted to destroy Grievous using the force and only got to crush his casing in on his still functioning organs. Remember, Grievous was a Cyborg not a robot. I don't think Windu knew that when he hit him the way he did, but that's the reason Grievous was not more bad ass in the movie.

Klaus

First Post
The thing is, by that logic Anakin should still be handless in RotS, since he lost his left hand about the same time Grievous had his torso crunched by Mace. Grievous could (and should) have gone through repairs in the meantime.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It is Gary Oldman's, not Mace Windu's, fault that Grievous was so much weaker in the movie. According to an Entertainment Weekly interview with George Lucas, Oldman decided to make Grievous frail and sickly.

Besides, as a cybord, he could have easily been "repaired" before his Episode III appearance.

Shade said:
It is Gary Oldman's, not Mace Windu's, fault that Grievous was so much weaker in the movie. According to an Entertainment Weekly interview with George Lucas, Oldman decided to make Grievous frail and sickly.

Except that Gary Oldman didn't do the voice. He was originally rumoured to, but that never happened. Instead, it was a Lucasfilm sound guy who's name is currently eluding me. And it wasn't the voice actor's choice to make Grievous sound as he did, that was part of the script.

EDIT: Just looked him up. It was Matthew Wood

Besides, as a cybord, he could have easily been "repaired" before his Episode III appearance.

But since the injury happened just as he was getting off of Coruscant with Palpatine, there wasn't exactly time for this to happen.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads