D&D General Your favorite way to start a D&D campaign?

jgsugden

Legend
My standard design for a campaign:

0.) I come up with a basic setting plan. This takens place 6 months to 10 years before the game hits the table.

1.) Interest Discussions - I find out what intrigues the players and start working it into my plans. These begin 6 to 12 months before we start playing.

2.) Session 0. This is 2 weeks before session 1. It starts with a discussion, then character creation, then a brief introduction that pulls them towards....

3.) ... a stereotypical cliche hook that gets them started on an adventure at level 1 on day 1. Levels 1 and 2 are all about oritentation - learning what your PC can do, what your allies can do, and layering exposition and action to set the stage for the future, but ...

4.) ... levels 1 to 4 are on the railroad - there is a clear destination for them to reach around level 4. The group can deviate from it, but I do not expect them to do so. They'll usually get to this point after 8 to 12 (4 hour) sessions. If they do deviate, I plot to get them to a place that allows the ...

5.) ... Sandbox openning. There is an event that opens up the sandbox aspect of the game. They might be forced to a new location, acquire a Spelljammer Helm, get a vague mission that sends them into a megadungeon area, etc... They'll have multiple hooks introduced to them each session and will have a chance to pick up the ones they want, but there is nothing required for them to do. They'll often be able to choose whether they want to get involved in politics, in dungeon delving, in exploration, or in one of many short adventures. This will run for 30 to 50 sessions. There is far too little time to resolve all of the hooks - and the ones they do not address impact the world as much as the ones they do.

6.) They'll acquire information as they adventure and level up. While a lot of that information points at other hooks, they'll also be acquiring information that will point them towards ...

7.) ...the big finish railroad that comes up around the time they hit level 17. They'll start moving towards a path that will end with the culmination of the campaign. While there will be room to close up some other loose ends still, there will be a pressure on them to solve the big problem of the setting before all is lost. This will take about 6 to 8 sessions and will end somewhere between levels 18 and 20. It is designed to end 'the story', and to force the PCs to account for the decisions they made in their careers.

8.) The Coda(s). I try to run one or more 'Coda' adventures when I can get that group back together. These take place at least 6 months after the end of the campaign and are a chance to revisit the PCs that have retired. These may focus on hooks that were left unfinished in the main campaign, a standalone adventure, or something that sets up action in other campaigns of mine in which the players may be active. These are often extremely difficult adventures with a moderate chance of a TPK.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd love to know how that first story arc resolved!

Evil Adventurers Guild is a favorite story beat of mine!
Long story short, the "Company" were trying to strip all the low-level adventurers out of the realm such that a few years later when their Evil Plans (overthrow of the kingdom) came to fruition those low-levels wouldn't have turned into mid- or high-level adventurers.

Of the seven parties they sent out, only two - including the PC's one - returned. The Company sent them out again, after which the PCs caught on. Their next move, which caught me-as-DM somewhat off-guard, was to more or less leave the area entirely for a year or two and find adventure elsewhere; and when they returned they were just what the Company feared: mid-level adventurers with an axe to grind. And there were more of them; through turnover and recruitment they'd expanded their numbers and had two or three full parties' worth of adventurers by the time they got back. :)

They still failed to stop the overthrow, however, due to a Company-set diversion that led them en masse to the wrong town at the wrong time.

Then, in an unrelated later adventure, a party including some of the same PCs found a time-travel device and - again to my surprise - decided to use it to in effect give themselves a do-over at stopping the overthrow. This time it worked, and the kingdom was saved. (some of the scenes were eerily similar to the latter bits of Harry Potter III, where some of the PCs were in hiding watching themselves do what they'd done a year earlier)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I kinda detest soft starts...but I still use them in certain circumstances. Like West Marches games I run usually start with the PCs literally stepping off the boat / out of the wagon at the starting town. What they do, where they go, and what trouble they attract from there are entirely up to them.

But most of the time I prefer strong starts. Escape from a cell, start with a quick description and then initiative, or just put a mess in the PCs' lap and see how they deal with it.

No real favourite way to start. I’ve got nothing against starting in a tavern, to be honest its been a while since that’s happened. I just try to do something different each time.

My last few starts as DM…

Night watch: the city occasionally hires adventurers to do watch shifts, the players only need to come up with a reason why they’ve joined as a back story. Start with the characters turning up to the watch tower at sunset.

On the road: travelling between towns/cities, (as set up for future plot) easy to jump right in with combat as bandits/monsters/whatever attack either during travel or camped

Reborn: (this was for a reboot after TPK) wake on a ship surrounded by clerics having just been resurrected/ reincarnated. Each character now has a tattoo of a Phoenix and is in debt to a ‘born again’ religion. The boat is attacked and wrecked just off the coast by a dragon turtle forcing the characters to swim to shore in order to escape.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Fun fact: My brother as a DM always started with amnesia for the party. I never pull that one.
I usually start with the Classic tavern or with combat (Action).

Shiroiken

Legend
Because we discuss character creation before the campaign begins (we don't have an official session 0 but lots of conversation via Discord), I usually just like having the party already know each other. Already having adventured together is my personal preference, since it skips past the whole "who are you and what can you do" step of the game that we've already covered OOC.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases