• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favourite non-core spells?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
BoVD: Psychic Poison. It's not even an [Evil] spell! I think of it as mindblank, with extreme prejudice. :)

Cheers, -- N

Storyteller01

First Post
Can't remember the name off-hand, but dragon magazine had a spell that wreathed the target in lightning. It did damage each round unless the target willing gave up their saving throw against a charm the spell would convert itself to. :]

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm surprised at least one of these hasn't been mentioned yet:

Delay Death(SpC): Cast it as an immediate action, and target can't die from hit point loss. Combine this with diehard, and you have lots of fun. (Watch out for Dispel Magic though). :)

Insignia of Healing(RoD): Everyone (regardless of distance from caster) wearing an insignia heals 1d8+lvl.

Close Wounds (SpC): Another life saver. As an immediate action prevent 1d4+lvl damage to target.

Thaumaturge.

Oh, and I second Arc of Lightning.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
My girlfriend's favorite spell: Darkbolt. Ranged Touch, multiple rays, untyped damage, saving throw doesn't apply to the damage it deals.

A few I like:
Assay Resistance.
Close Wounds. A necessity for all Clerics.
Sound Lance.
Spell Enhancer. Swifty goodness.
Arcane Turmoil. From Complete Mage. A lower-level targetted Dispel Magic that causes loss of one spell from target's memory.
Ray of Clumsiness.

The Orb spells are good too, especially if your arcane caster has a high Dexterity and/or feats to increase his/her ranged attack.

the Jester

Legend
Okay, so a lot of my favorite non-core spells are homebrew, but hey, here ya go...

*From WotC books:

Spell Compendium

Anticipate teleport
Reality maelstrom
Revivity

Book of Vile Darkness

Whirlwind of teeth

*Homebrewed

Players' Guide to Cydra

Righteous zeal - clr 9; gain DR 5/-, 100 temporary hp, +6 Str, Cha, attacks, damage and Will saves.
Jerakai's embrace - sor/wiz 3; gain extra set of arms. This goes back to 2e imc, so I don't use the WotC version (girallon's embrace or whatever it's called).
Act of God- clr 9; retroactively negate all damage and harmful effects from one source for one round
Wall of Honey- drd 3, sor/wiz 3; difficult to pass wall of honey, clogs breathing and vision
Ivy Siege- drd 6; ivy crushes a building (conversion of a 2e spell from Complete Druid's book).
Word Lock- sor/wiz 6, brd 5; seal closure, can only open with proper word; bards can tune the lock to a Perform check of a DC equal to the one they make when casting the spell
Superior Teleport- sor/wiz 8; teleport without error to anywhere, anyone or anything, even if you don't have a clear description (ex.: "I'm superior teleporting to whoever stabbed my best friend!")
Proleptic Visions- sor/wiz 9; gain visions of impending attacks on up to 5 individuals, locations and objects of your choice; the ultimate alarm.

mkb152

Explorer
Some other good ones:

Scorch (Aganazzar's Scorcher) (SC, FR) is probably one of the only 2nd level damage spells worth using.

Wrack (BoVD) was a freaking awesome spell for evil NPC clerics (IMHO) especially when it was 3rd level. SD changed it to 4th but it's still a good spell. Wait for a fighter to engage a minion in melee, cast Wrack, watch enemy fighter die next round.

Wave of Grief (BoVD, SC) - is a pretty good low level evil cleric spell.

For ftr/wiz types:

Whirling Blade (SC)
Wraithstrike

Twowolves

Explorer
Encyclopedia Arcane-Necromancy
Animate Skeleton
Animate Zombie
Raise Death Fleet

Relics and Rituals I&II
Liliandel's Flurry
Ganest's Farstrike
Omniscience
Shocking Missile
Frog Tongue
Acid Spit
True Reincarnation

Several from Encyclopedia Arcane-Enchantment

Lots and lots from Eldritch Sorcery and the Advanced Player's Guide

Sejs said:
Benign mothaf#$%in' Transposition.

I love that spell in ways that should not be legal.

Baleful's not half bad either.

I like these 2 spells as well. Benign can be used to help a friend in trouble or give the enemy a nasty surprise when the unarmoured Wizard turns into a Greatsword-wielding Fighter! :]

Olaf the Stout

Soel

First Post
Scholar's Touch, from one of the "Races of "books. It lets you read a book by touching it.

Powerful beyond measure in the right kind of campaigns. Exactly what a wizard should develop instead of another fireball-type of spell.

Remove ads