• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favourite non-core spells?

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I was reading through the spells in Complete Mage this morning and it struck me how many interesting and flavourful (or just plain useful) spells there are in that book: Lightning Leap, Channeled Lifetheft and Fire & Brimstone to name just three.

What spells do you like to cast as a player or DM? I'm hoping to (re)discover some gems in my various WotC and d20 books!

Cheers

Richard

Thanee

First Post
Assay Resistance :p
Greater Blink :)
Nchaser's Glowing Orb :D
Orb of Force :uhoh:
Tirumael's Energy Spheres :cool:
Wraithstrike :eek:

Bye
Thanee

hong

WotC's bitch
Stuff from OA:

earth reaver
earthbolt
castigate
withering palm

Withering palm needs to be beefed up, though. As a 7th level cleric spell it's competing with destruction, which is better all round. A flat 12 points of Str and Con damage, save for half, should make it suitably terrifying.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Rokugan, maho spell: Truth is a Curse. Compels the subject to tell the truth, and not only that: The victim will keep blurting out what he's thinking about the current topic. Which can be deadly in Rokugan.

Suppose the Emperor himself asks you what you think of his line. Anything but high praise will bring great dishonour to you and your clan, and if you go on about how some of his ancestors were outright bastards or utter fools will cost you the right to erase your dishonour with seppuku.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I'm personally a fan of blade of blood (PHB II), wratihstrike, nightstalker's transformation, displacer form, draconic might, the orb spells, and whirling blade (all from Spell Compendium)

Arkhandus

First Post
Some of my favorites are Apparition, Dream Sight, Earthbolt, Lightning Blade, Poison Needles, Sword of Deception, Thornskin, Transfix, Weapon Bless, and Withering Palm, from Oriental Adventures. But yeah, several OA spells need moderate or serious powering up to compare with standard Cleric or Wizard spells. Not all of them by any means, just several.

Voadam

Legend
Complete Book of Eldritch Might: Creature Loresight, Object Loresight (great investigation spells), Greater Mark of Earth (DR 10 magic and +2 str), Greater Mark of Air (flight and +2 dex).

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: Thunderlance, (love the 20' reach force weapon for my eldritch knight with combat reflexes).

Tome and Blood: Energy Buffer, (24 hour contingent 1 round energy resistance, conforms to whatever attacks you first.).

Oriental Adventures: Magnetism (disarm opponents 1/round).

Quintessential Wizard: War Mastery (Bonus fighter feat, improved init is always useful).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Revivify by a nautical mile...the single best spell added in 3E, IMHO. A nice counter to the alarming number of save-or-die effects.

Other faves:

• mailed might of the magelords (Lost Empires of Faerun)
  • sheltered vitality (SC)
  • healing lorecall (SC)
  • arc of lightning (SC)
  • crushing fist of spite (BoVD)
  • angelskin (SC)
  • zeal (SC)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads