Your issue with Psionics

Gellion

First Post
I know that the 3.5 revised PshiHB is due to come out next year. But what are your issues with the current system? What do you like? And what do you dislike?

Halivar

First Post
I despise rolling a d20 every time I manifest a power. It introduces a level of uncertainty that arcane and divine spellcasters don't have to worry about.

Psionics in 3.0 sucks, and I want a completely different system.

Halivar

First Post
Crothian said:
It's too much like divine and arcane casting. It needs to differ from magic a great deal.
Basically, it's arcane spellcasting with DC 1d20+mods instead of 10+mods. Effects even overlap. That's just a weaker, more random version of magic.

Psioncs needs to be different. Different than magic and different mechanics. I have not looked at any other alternatives such as Mindscapes, but I imagine just about anything would be an improvement.

Aaron L

Hero
I'd like more of an "automatic" mechanic to it. Less "I activate my precognition powers so I can see the future", and more "I have a feeling somethings going to happen". Situationally automatic, maybe with a roll to see if it kicks in. And of course with some consciously activated powers.

Shaele

First Post
Halivar said:
Psioncs needs to be different. Different than magic and different mechanics.

This seems to be a common sentiment, but I don't get it.

I dislike psionics is because of the mechanical differences. Not only do players need to become expert in the d20 system, now they need to worry about a system that differs substantially from the core rules. Frankly, our group finds it overwhelming. We have a hard enough time keep track of the fine details as it is.

If the mechanics lined up more closely, and it had flavor differerences, I'd be more inclined to use it.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Shaele said:
This seems to be a common sentiment, but I don't get it.

I dislike psionics is because of the mechanical differences. Not only do players need to become expert in the d20 system, now they need to worry about a system that differs substantially from the core rules. Frankly, our group finds it overwhelming. We have a hard enough time keep track of the fine details as it is.

If the mechanics lined up more closely, and it had flavor differerences, I'd be more inclined to use it.
I'd prefer a system of 'magic templates'

For instance, currently we have divine and arcane casting. It wouldn't be insane to swap (say) a sorceror to using divine spells and divine casting, or a mage to using divine casting mechanics (ie - no arcane failure, prepare at one time each day etc).

Further to that, you could produce a psionic casting template - the characteristics would be: manifestations instead of components, no arcane failure, some other attributes which I can't think of yet, and viola, you have psionics.

Then you just take a sorceror, swap out his arcane casting template for psionic casting templates, and you've got a psion.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
I hate the fact that there are so many broken combos to fix, even more than normal Magic. But otherwise, I like it for its flavor and for being another option to pick when making a character.

ichabod

Legned
Gellion said:
I know that the 3.5 revised PshiHB is due to come out next year. But what are your issues with the current system? What do you like? And what do you dislike?

The fact that psions are so much like sorcerers. Wands, staffs, familiars, spontaneous casting, and so on. The only real differences are point casting and psi combat (which does not work, you become psychic and suddenly you're more vulnerable?).

Me, I dumped djores, tatoos, psicrystals, and psionic combat, and change the power points into damage. They are going to have to come up with something really interesting if they want me to buy the revised psihb.

Wombat

First Post
Psionics (partially by name, partially by "flavour") feels like it should be restricted to sci-fi (or science fantasy, a la John Carter) campaigns. They just never felt very medieval.

Personal take only, of course, but I have ignored psionics in my campaigns since the days of the Eldritch Wizardry supplement...

Remove ads