• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your issue with Psionics

Staffan

Legend
reiella said:
Mind Blast is too strong. Before, there used to be a semi-nice comparison between it and Hold Monster (it just happened to cost an effective spell-level or two more). Now with the changes to Hold Monster, I suspect it's going to wither down to a maximum of 1d4 rounds (unless you're an illithid), which while nice, will seriously see a reduction in the usefulness of Mind Blast.
In the Mindscapes revision, Mind Blast is a 5th level power that stuns you for 1d4 rounds (with an area effect, which is the big edge it has over Hold Monster). The first version also mentioned that Mind flayers and their kin stunned you for 3d4 rounds with it, but after the full release of the SRD that bit got removed.

Thanee

First Post
Gellion said:
I know that the 3.5 revised PshiHB is due to come out next year. But what are your issues with the current system? What do you like? And what do you dislike?

The psionics as in the book are all in all pretty weak (the non-scaling being one of the biggest issues). There are some decent powers, but most aren't really that great. And then there are a few powers that are just completely broken (Psychofeedback :eek: ). With the ITCK additions (I'm not really in tune with whatever are the latest additions, Mindscape and whatnot), Psions become very powerful characters, with almost as powerful casting (ya, ya, manifesting) ability as wizards and almost none of the restrictions.

Then there are psionic items that are totally mispriced (torque of psionic might :eek: ), or simply better than the corresponding arcane items for the same price.

All in all, the whole book seems to be written by someone who has absolutely no clue of balance (sorry Bruce ;)) and it also lacks a lot of style (Psions feel pretty much like Sorcerers with only some differences), altho there are some really neat ideas in there, but they don't cut it. And the book obviously hasn't been playtested in the slightest (powers like psychofeedback just cannot make it into a final version, if someone with a bit of common sense reads the book prior to printing).

Also psionics working just like spells add to the lack of style, while the psionics are different option gives Psions too much of an advantage (unless the world is highly psionic). A good way to differentiate psionics from magic would be great!

I hope they put the book into the trashcan where it belongs and make a complete new one from scratch, especially with more unique powers, not just some cool arcane spells with a different name (or not even that).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads