• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your issue with Psionics

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, I much preferred the 2nd edition psionics system, even though it was more complex, it was a lot more unique and differed considerably from the magic system, so playing a psionicist in 2nd edition was really different than playing a mage or cleric. I think the 3.5 psionics book should try and lean more towards the 2nd edition system in terms of originality, without all the complexity....

Really, the 3.0 psionics system already simplified it a lot. The only real differences between psionics and sorcery are 1) no arcane spell failure, 2) psionic combat which isn't terribly complex but is rather odd, 3) displays instead of components, 4) spell levels replaced with power points in a simple way, and 5) some new powers mixed in with simple translations of arcane spells into psionic powers.

Though I hate how psionics are now universally weaker than magic, psions and psychic warriors themselves are slightly more powerful than sorcerers and bards, which is probably the reason. The whole "disciplines linked to all kinds of ability scores" thing is pretty stupid though, and makes no sense whatsoever, only complicates the system and limits psionic characters to an even more absurdly small selection of powers just because their ability scores aren't likely to be universally high. Power Stones are utterly worthless, and dorjes should be more of a blend of wands and staves. Psionic combat really needs to make more sense, and psionic creatures should not be so much more vulnerable.

Inner Power, Talented, Trigger Power, Body Fuel, and a few other feats really need to be fixed, as do the prestige classes. However, feats like Up The Walls, Stand Still, Speed Of Thought, and Great Sunder are pretty cool, heroic, and cinematic, like D20 and D&D are meant to be, and all kinds of fun can be had with a psychic warrior taking those feats. On that note, psychic warriors should have better power selection - how come they can't learn any healing or direct damage powers?

The Psionic Creature template really BADLY needs to be fixed and balanced, and psionic creatures shouldn't be able to manifest all their powers at will, or at least not their psionic combat modes (with the exception of mind flayers of course, since that's their bag). More psionic creatures need to be listed.....some of the 2nd edition ones like ustilagors, intellect devourers, and so on should return, and some new ones too, like psionic dragons (they are after all extremely intelligent and have aeons to develop their minds).

Aaron L.'s idea is pretty cool, though it seems doubtful that Wizards of the Coast will change psionics that much, sadly.... It really would be cool if clairsentient-skilled psions could simply receive occasional, unexpected visions and could just get a sudden bad feeling when danger approaches or something... When a psychoportively-skilled psion is about to be crushed under a falling boulder and notices it just a split second before it hits, his innate power should kick in and teleport him to safety, or make him suddenly ethereal, or something... When a telepath looks at someone, he should sometimes receive a sudden, random look into their mind, automatically sensing that something's not right or that this person has some important information regarding the character's current task.... And so on..... That'd be pretty cool, Aaron L.

dreaded_beast

First Post
has anyone started a psionic character after 3.5 came out?

i was thinking about doing that, but was unsure how it should be handled. can the 3.0 rules for psionics be used in a 3.5 game?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Disliked the psionic combat system and stat linking, and replaced it with Mindscapes and a few other minor alterations taken from various psi supplements.

Beyond that, I have no significant beef with the 3e psi system. And I'll echo the people who like the book more than previous editions because it's more like magic. The seperation between Psionics and magic, in the past, has essentially led to psionics being a twinky option that is easily abused. The current version of the rules suits me fairly well.

Graf

Explorer
The system works extremely well now, I've both played and DMed and I think it's a good system mechanically, grounded in the 3.5 rules (and balanced unlike the prior systems) while still being very different from magic*.
*=the system is quite different from magic, it just happens that many of the big differences aren't "different in a much more powerful way" but "different in a way that has good points and bad points".

To be fair:
I've never played in a "randomly rolled DC" game and all of the games have ignored or replaced (thank you Mindscapes!) the psionic combat system. So both of those need to go, but I think that the 3.5 psionics book will already take that into account.
The manifestation rules also need a very thorough scrubbing and if they aren't changed then a good explaination of how to tailor them would be a must.

I'd be more concerned about the chances people some people want: basically increasing psionics power and creating a more "complex" system with lots of mechanical differences just-to-be-different. Conviently BC is also involved in 3.5 so I think we won't see the core concepts changing much.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
dreaded_beast said:
has anyone started a psionic character after 3.5 came out?

i was thinking about doing that, but was unsure how it should be handled. can the 3.0 rules for psionics be used in a 3.5 game?

Fairly easily, if you're willing to do conversons on the fly (IE: Animal Affinity now falls in line with 3.5 buffing spells, Teleport gets nerfed in the same vein as the spell, that sort of thing). WE've got two Psionic PC's and a few Psionic NPCs in our 3.5 game, and it hasn't really been a huge problem.

WizWrm

First Post
There's always Ken Hood's skills-and-feats version of psionics. It's designed for a sort-of sci-fi setting, but it certainly does the job if you want a version of psionics that's very different from magic. I haven't looked through it carefully, but after a quick scan I think that I prefer it over the third-variety-of-magic-type psionics.

Last edited:

dreaded_beast

First Post
WizWrm said:
There's always Ken Hood's skills-and-feats(scroll down) version of psionics. It's designed for a sort-of sci-fi setting, but it certainly does the job if you want a version of psionics that's very different from magic. I haven't looked through it carefully, but after a quick scan I think that I prefer it over the third-variety-of-magic-type psionics.

or maybe you can use the "force" rules from star wars d20.

d10

First Post
Gellion said:
I know that the 3.5 revised PshiHB is due to come out next year. But what are your issues with the current system? What do you like? And what do you dislike?

My Issues with psions is that they flat suck.

That will be all.

green slime

First Post
What I dislike about 3.0 psionics:

The fact that psionic combat is a waste of an action against a psion. Psionic combat should be extremely quick and nasty for psions. It should be part and parcel of the drawback/advantage of being a psion.

That creatures with psionic powers do not have power points so that half the feats pertaining to draining power points from your adversary are useless.

That there are so many munchkin combos, that are way out of balance with the rest of the system. Not as bad as 2e of course, but still too easily exploited.

Too much is left undefined. This is the cause in large part of the balance problems. Not enough thought was put into the product, compared to the 3.0 rules.

I like the existing framework, it just needs to be greatly tidied up, IMO.

fusangite

First Post
Well, I have only one requirement: to keep psionics a completely separate attachment that can be ignored by those of us who find it disruptive to the genre. For this reason, one suggestion does occur: the other thing that drives me nuts in terms of the genre is the monk (if only monks had just been kept in OA and taken out of the core rules...) -- perhaps the new system could integrate psionic abilities with the chi concept the monks use. Just a shot in the dark from someone who uses neither.

Remove ads