• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

What is Mickey's position in the world that all this stuff is named after him? The clubhouse itself, but also local landmarks like Mickey Park?

For a birthday episode they have to get a bunch of ingredients for a cake. They put stuff together and put it in the oven and then the handy helpers pull out a fully iced cake.

There is a Christmas episode that features a full-on human Santa and Mrs Claus. Are they the only humans? Is there some population of humans that regularly mixes company with anthropomorphized animals of unusual size.

There's more. I know it's a kid's show but it always amazes me that full size adult humans participate in writing it.

Ferrousbones

Artificer
In Bones, one of the characters, Hodgins, is mega-rich. As in, one of the richest people in the world. When the psycho serial killer needs a diversion to help him escape, he steals Hodgins's wealth. Just by hacking into his account. They sit and watch as his money drains away, and he's left with only a few million, from the billions and billions his family had acquired.

There's no explanation for why all that wealth is sitting in a bank account, not held in property or bonds or registered stock or art or jewellery, or otherwise properly invested and managed. Also no explanation for why the bank can't simply reverse a clearly fraudulent transaction.
I just saw this episode again. It wasn't 1 saving account being drained, it was passwords for dozens of accounts being hacked, and those were accounts of every kind. So it wasn't just that money was being drained, it was every form of wealth being transferred.

Also, from what I recall, his character wasn't happy about his wealth, and didn't live surrounded by non-cash wealth sources.

Still not probable, but this is the show Bones we are talking about.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
It absolutely cracked me up with two brownshirts were talking to one another and it sounded like a 1970s British crime drama. I think we've got to give language and accents a pass, for the most part.

I first watched ‘Fargo’ (the film) with my fellow Midwestern American friend… and his German girlfriend, on her first visit to the United States.

He and I laughed uncontrollably throughout the movie - while she stared at us in complete befuddlement.

She was particularly befuddled because she heard Fargo was also a huge hit in Germany. In a dubbed version.

Which led us to speculate: how in the world did they translate the movie’s cultural and especially dialect-based humor into German? Did they pick a particular German dialect to stand-in for rural Minnesotan?

I just saw this episode again. It wasn't 1 saving account being drained, it was passwords for dozens of accounts being hacked, and those were accounts of every kind. So it wasn't just that money was being drained, it was every form of wealth being transferred.

Also, from what I recall, his character wasn't happy about his wealth, and didn't live surrounded by non-cash wealth sources.

Still not probable, but this is the show Bones we are talking about.
Yeah. Pretty much every time the characters went over to Angela's office, it was time to take a break from immersion.

"Oh you're also a forensic acoustician too now?? Go ahead..enhance away."

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah. Pretty much every time the characters went over to Angela's office, it was time to take a break from immersion.

"Oh you're also a forensic acoustician too now?? Go ahead..enhance away."
Which is my cue to bring this out.

"Bones" is based on a book series written by an actual forensic scientist who, among other things, consults/consulted with police in Quebec. I would hope that they would get at least the science right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads