• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your own personal gaming terms...

RigaMortus2

First Post
Does your gaming group have their own made up "gaming terms"? Ours certainly does. Here are a couple of gaming terms we frequently use, and how we came about making them up...

Shield Shopper
Definition: A person who takes up most of the gaming time by going through various books trying to buy equipment (magical or mundane)
Origin: We had a player who basically did this (thought it was during a RIFTS session). He spent the entire time we were gaming, in a "magic shop" (in the game of course) looking to purchase a shield. Thus, we called him a "shield shopper".

Mega-Gamer
Definition: This is synonomous with "meta-gamer".
Origin: One of our players accidentally said "mega-gamer" when he meant "meta-gamer", and even though we corrected him, he still continues to say mega-gamer (I think just in spite).

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Something I started in the 80's has endured through today with whomever DM is running a game at my table. An NPC will be described as 'swandering'...into the tavern, down the street, etc.

Swander: To swagger while wandering.

-DM Jeff

Barak

First Post
"open the box twice"

That, in my gaming group, has come to mean a PC killing another PC, either willingly or by accident. It came after a PC opened a trapped chest -twice-, in the equivalent of 2 rounds, leading to the death of another PC.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
Chunksmith

A chunksmith is somewhat like a blacksmith, but instead of making things from metal, he makes things from pieces of whatever he just killed.

That came from one of my players who's barbarian would always add bits of a monster to his weapons or armor. By the time he retired, he was wearing almost exclusively monster teeth/leather/horns/limbs. It was pretty funny, I think he started doing that as a joke after seeing Krusk in the PHB wearing that goofy jaw on his shoulder.

Stormborn

Explorer
"In the Belgian Congo" - a term that means the PCs have misinterpreted clues left by the DM and have suddenly charged off in an unexpected and unplanned for direction. We also use it when the Players take some minor story element and assume it is germaine to the quest, leaving the GM with the task of either giving them a chance to get back on track or letting them run with it.

It came up from a CoC game inwhich the PCs had found the HQ of the evil cult. It had a a portal to an alien artic city in the basement, but it also had papers related to some experiments going on in the Belgian Congo. We grabbed the papers as clues and set off. This left the GM scrambling to make something up (rather than just telling us we couldn't get transportation for several days and thus encouraging us to investigate the portal more closely). As the group and GMs (myself included) have learned their craft better this has happened less and less.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Spiritforge (from NERO rules) - anything that allows you to respend skill points, feats, character levels, race... whatever.

There are probably quite a few other terms I'm forgetting that are simply borrowed from other rules systems and gaming media.

Haven

Shades of Green

First Post
Asla (hebrew meaning "toilet seat/vat")
Definition: A cybernetic body part; a character with alot of cybernetics, usually of hulking figure; a massive robot; a strong combatant.
Origin: A mistranslation (from English to Hebrew) of one of the Shadowrun slang terms in the back of the hebrew version of 2nd edition Shadowrun; the original term was "Vat Job" (referring to a person being submerged in a vat of bio-liquid duing cyberware inmplantation), it was translated into "Ish Asla", meaning "toilet-vat man" in Hebrew. It was so funny that it stuck.

Crothian

First Post
Stew: When someone asks about something that was just explained.

A Joe or Shaylon: Totally screwing over your friends to win. :D He's going to kill me for that one.

Cool: Someone with a special ability that is not normally available

waterdhavian

First Post
"F'N Realms": Just a shorter version of the Forgotten Realms, started when we were making characters for a game and passing the Forgotten Realms CS books around. As in "pass me that F'N Realms book."

A few others but need to talk to my group to remember the specifics.

Baron Opal

First Post
OSM: Optimal Survival Mode

Sometimes, when the fat's in the fire, you just have to pull out all the stops. Secrets go out the window as all of the PCs pool their resources in a shocking display of interdependace and trust.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads