• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Sword & Sorcery / Fantasy Fiction D&D Dream Party?

Oryan77

Adventurer
Rogue - Snails
Fighter - Boromir
Dwarf Fighter - Flint Fireforge
Wizard - Saruman
NPC Guide - Beni Gabor

They are all destined to die. Which means all I have to do is loot the bodies and retire. Ah, I love the life of an adventurer.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Yes, Gawain. At least, the characterization of him in the pre-Malory romances; most notably, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Yeah, I'm familiar with it. Also with how Chretien de Troyes portrayed him in Percival. Likeable and courteous, but I don't remember him as particularly religious.

GreyLord

Legend
For bards -
Thomas the Rhymer / True Thomas / Tam Lin
Alan-a-Dale
Will Scarlett
Taliesin

And don't forget the some of the oldest ones...Ulysses, and I suppose you could make the argument for Pan or even Bacchus as bards.

I suppose that's more mythology than fiction, but considering some of the above list...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Groo the Wanderer- barbarian. And if you know Groo, toy know that he is all you need...

Except for

1) someone to stop him once he gets going, that is; Merlin, Elminster, Allanon or Gandalf would do just fine.

2) someone to heal the casualties, esp. the unintended ones.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm familiar with it. Also with how Chretien de Troyes portrayed him in Percival. Likeable and courteous, but I don't remember him as particularly religious.

Ah, see I don't see religion as being the most important attribute of a Paladin. For me, being a Paladin is about playing the idealized knight - a paragon of chivalry and courtly love, etc. To me, a Paladin is defined as a Knight of the Round Table or one of the Twelve Peers.

I don't disagree with your earlier statement that Lancelot or Galahad could also be considered Paladins (and perhaps better examples than Gawain overall). It is just that my basis for the ideal Paladin is Gawain in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Within the confines of that story, and a few others, Gawain exemplifies the characteristics that define a Paladin. He shows himself to be honorable, courteous, and demonstrates the codes of chivalry and courtly love. Those are the characteristics I use when define a D&D Paladin. Religion is important, but not as important as those other virtues.

the Jester

Legend
Vlad Taltos (assassin)
Quick Ben (mage, prolly with a splash of rogue)
Conan the Barbarian (barbarian, again with a splash of rogue)
Karsa Orlong (fighter or barbarian)
Aragorn (ranger)
Morgon, Riddlemaster of Hed (bard)
Bannor of the Bloodguard (monk)
Leetah (healer)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This is a great thread...think most of the obvious ones have all been taken...but, personally, for "my dream team"...

Muscle:
Lancelot: Half-elf/male, paladin or cavalier -Arthurian Legend
Gilthanus: Elf/male, fighter/magic-user. (Cuz elves are just too sexy n' cool NOT to have in the party. :) -The Dragonlance Chronicles
Legolas: Elf/male, fighter, ranger, archer...scout, maybe? (cuz one sexy elf just isn't enough :) -The Lord of the Rings
Sturm Brightblade: Human/male, fighter (paladin wannabe) -The Dragonlance Chronicles

If I MUST have barbarian, let's go with Wulfgar from The Crystal Shard. Conan seems to be a bit busy.

Magic:
Morgan La Fey: Half-elf/female, enchantress/illusionist/magic-user -Arthurian Legend
Dr. Strange: Human/male, magic-user (What?! Comics count as fiction, right?) -Marvel Comics
The Lady of Shallot: Human/female, magic-user (She has a thing for Lancelot, ya know. ;) -The Lady of Shallot

Medics:
Goldmoon: human/female, cleric (anyone who can resurrect? Yeah, we want her on the team)-The Dragonlance Chronicles
Brother Cadfael: human/male, cleric...well, technically an apothecary/herbalist...but if put in the game, I'd expect he'd gain divine spell-casting. -The Cadfael Chronicles
Merlin: Half-human/male, druid -Arthurian Legend

Miscreants:
Gord: Human/male, thief-acrobat -Greyhawk Adventures: Saga of Old City
Amergin: Human/male, bard -Bard: Odyssey of the Irish

12...yeah, big party. Guess I'll stop here...I could keep going.

--Steel Dragons

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Aw man. I must spread some XP around before giving it to Jester.

Some lay some on him for remembering/including Elfquest!

Dang. Can't believe I didn't think that...the clerics were the hardest one's to think of! Leetah's a natural.

--SD

the Jester

Legend
Aw man. I must spread some XP around before giving it to Jester.

Some lay some on him for remembering/including Elfquest!

Dang. Can't believe I didn't think that...the clerics were the hardest one's to think of! Leetah's a natural.

--SD

Thanks man!

Yeah, I'm an old-school Elfquest fan from way back in the original series. Leetah is certainly not quite a cleric, not quite a shaman, not quite an ardent- but damn right is she a healer! :)

The "magic" in Elfquest is awesome. More powers, really, I guess... hmm....

Remove ads