Your Top Ten RPGs

Reynard

Legend
In the style of the social media meme of your top ten books, what are your top ten RPGs? You can use any metric you like, and you don't necessarily need to rank them.

Here's mine, as they come to mind:

D&D BECMI: My first RPG and the one that got me hooked. Still awesome after all thee years.

Heroes Unlimited: Yes, it's a Palladium game, but it opened up the world of a RPGs to me -- you can play super heroes, too?!

Mayfair DC Heroes: It did not take long to move from HU to DCH, thanks in large part to the Daily Bugle ad/supplements in Dragon Magazine. There are arguably "better" supers systems (I like both M&M and HERO) but none other has ever managed to emulate the source material for me.

AD&D 2nd Edition: After BECMI, this was the D&D I played most and most deeply. It's art esthetic and open attitude toward rules along with its vast array of settings really makes it D&D for me. It is the reason I like 5 E so much -- it reminds me immensely of 2E.

WEG D6 Star Wars: pitch perfect play. Deep lore that brought the SW universe alive. No Star Wars game since has exceeded it.

Exalted: I wrote for this game and that experience was awesome.

Gamma World (all, with special emphasis on 4th Ed): I love the post apocalyptic genre, and GW is the perfect distillation of that genre for me. Now, I never ran it is a wacky and wahoo way, but rather a "even weirder Fallout" way, for which it works perfectly. My favorite iteration is 4th Ed, but they all have their charms. I also worked on the d20 GW PHB.

Alternity: This game was so well designed and both the Star Drive setting and the Dark Matter setting were top notch. It is too bad it died with TSR. This game had potential.

D&D 3rd Edition/d20: D&D 3.x had its strengths and weaknesses and I have gotten to a point where running Pathfinder is too much. Even so, that family of D&D is very strong and fun to play and managed to defib what was an otherwise dead game.

FATE: there are lots of rules light, new school games that I have tried, but FATE is the best of them. It's story focused rules and narrative mechanics make running dramatic and cinematic games fun and easy. There isn't a genre I would not run with FATE and a few I would only use FATE for.

What are your top ten?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Fun! :D

1. D&D (BECMI) - Also my first and still my favorite from a purely nostalgic point of view.

2. D&D (5th Edition) - I'm still riding the "shiny new thing" wave but, right now, its pretty perfect for my playstyle.

3. Wraith: The Oblivion (2nd Edition) - I love the horror genre and used to collect horror RPGs. This is, by far, my favorite.

4. Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition) - My first horror RPG and almost as awesome as Wraith. The 20th Anniversary Edition is also pretty spiffy.

5. Nightbane - Palladium's take on superhero horror, with loads of inspiration from Clive Barker. The rules being clunky is the only reason this isn't higher on the list.

6. Pathfinder - Spiritual and mechanical successor to D&D 3.5 and an improvement.

7. D&D (3.5) - My go to version of D&D for super crunchy mechanical play and tinkering with house rules.

8. AD&D (2nd Edition) - My second RPG after BECMI and still a nostalgic favorite. Also, settings. 'Nuff said.

9. Beyond the Supernatural - Palladium's psychic investigator horror RPG. Good for emulating a variety of horror subgenres.

10. Heroes Unlimited - My first non-D&D RPG and the only strictly supers genre RPG I've really gotten into.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yowzers. This literally changes daily. And if I'm honestly it's more about my time of life, friend, and situation than the game systems, and as such doesn't reflect what I would play today, just how much I enjoyed it then.

1. 1E AD&D. Formative.
2. 2E AD&D. Expansive.
3. FASA Star Trek
4. MERP
5. BECMI D&D
6. D&D 3.x (inc Pathfinder)
7. Ghostbusters RPG
8. Golden Heroes
9. GURPS
10. Traveller

After that there's a thousand equals.

Azgulor

Adventurer
1. Pathfinder
2. Savage Worlds
3. Conan
4. Star Frontiers
5. AD&D
6. GURPS
7. Rolemaster
8. Alternity
9. WHFRP 2e
10. (Saving for O.L.D. or N.E.W.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What? Did you forget O.L.D. & N.E.W?!?

That would be a bit self-serving! Besides, technically it doesn't exist yet. Otherwise, it's everything I like about all those games and is #1! Which, I guess is ad copy: if you like those 10 games, you'll like WoiN! :)

Last edited:

Serendipity

Explorer
1. BECMI
2. OD&D with all the supplements
3. Classic Traveller
4. DCC RPG
5. Gamma world (1st/2nd or 4th)
6. 1e Stormbringer
7. Mage the Ascension (Revised)
8. BRP (my preferred generic system but Savage Worlds comes a close second)
9. AD&D (1e)
10. Hard to say - a toss up between Cybergeneration and The Fantasy Trip probably.

But as mentioned above, that doesn't include dozens of other games I love and have loved and enjoyed over the years (most recently the new edition of D&D but also V&V, Beyond the Supernatural, Eclipse Phase, GURPS, the old Games Workshop Judge Dredd RPG, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Changeling the Dreaming, Marvel Super Heroes and others too countless to mention).

The above list is pretty much made of game that I find to be mechanically smooth running and relatively simple *but* that I enjoy engaging with the mechanics with. (I can build starships in Claassic Trav for AGES!)

Stormonu

Legend
My list:

1) Savage Worlds (the game I wish I'd made)
2) D&D 5e (strikes me as all the best parts of versions 1-4)
3) Vampire (equally split between oWoD and nWoD)
4) WEG Star Wars (I despise the d20 versions)
5) Alternity (sadly, this was a system I didn't try until it was OOP)
6) Mutants & Masterminds
7) Serenity
8) Star Trek (Decipher/Last Unicorn version)
9) Marvel Superheroes (TSR version)
10) Twilight 2000 (2nd edition)

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Alternity
Earthdawn
WEG Star Wars 2nd Ed
Shadowrun 2nd Ed
Over the Edge
AD&D 1st Ed
D&D 3.5
Harnmaster
Dangerous Journeys
Castle Falkenstein

Bluenose

Adventurer
Not in any particular order, but games I think do what they're trying to do best:

Pendragon
Heroquest
Fate
Runequest
2300AD
The One Ring
Eclipse Phase
James Bond 007
Call of Cthulhu
BECM D&D

Remove ads