Your Top Ten RPGs

In no order: 1st ed AD&D, Classic Traveller, Chaosium 2nd ed Runequest, Gamma World 1st and 2nd ed, Call of Cthulhu, any edition but the new one, Stormbringer 1st ed, FASA Star Trek, Metamorphosis Alpha 1st ed, Fading Suns 2nd ed, Paranoia 1st ed.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
1. 13th age
2. D&D 4e
3. TMNT
4. D&D 3.5
5. Call of Cthulu (old)
6. Champions
7. Werewolf the Apocalypse
8. Pathfinder
9. Fiasco
10. Any board or miniature game where I can add personality and Role playing to my character.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
  1. Warhammer RPG v.2
  2. Earth Dawn
  3. Shadows of Esteren
  4. PathFinder
  5. Chill (Pacesetter Box)
  6. Ghost Busters
  7. Paranoia
  8. Iron Kingdom v2
  9. D20 (this covers a lot but it is a lot to love)
  10. 13th Age

innerdude

Legend
  1. Savage Worlds
  2. The One Ring
  3. Fantasy Craft
  4. Runequest / Legend
  5. Top Secret S.I.
  6. BECMI / Rules Cyclopedia
  7. Ars Magica (Never played, but love the concept)
  8. Burning Wheel (Never played, but love the concept)
  9. WEG Star Wars, 2nd Edition Revised
  10. This spot still open . . . . Maybe Fate / Legends of Anglerre? Numenara? The new Cortex+ Firefly?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Examples?

Sure:

HeroQuest: take D&D hero miniatures, put them on the map included in the 3.0 DMG, and add the occasional orc or door miniature, and you have a great gateway drug for RPGs - or a game called HeroQuest. It was well done, if I recall.

or,

Risk: whether you want to be George W. or Kim Jong Il, Risk provides the framework and the gameboard. I think Risk actually mentions in the rules that it's house rule-friendly.

As for RPGs, some that I've played,

ModosBanner.jpg: who sets out to write their non-favorite game? Some broad features that I like are short rules, fast character and monster generation, and a very simple dice rolling/result system. Maybe someday will it have more special gear, monsters, and artwork.

:dndnext:: the mercifully streamlined version of 3.5. Odds are that the DMG will re-introduce the headaches of 3e, but the PH is really a great improvement.

:3e:: the mercifully remastered version of 3e. Fun game, cool abilities, fun combat tactics. And with top-notch splat books, of which I own many.

...and some I haven't,

:sav:: simple rules, fast play, genre flexibility - is this not a GM's dream come true?

:old: : grow your character's stats from his life experiences? Heck yeah! And if he gets caught in a wormhole and sent to the future, well, you can keep using the same rules.

Zweihaender: the dark ages were not a very safe time for living. Anarchy, baby. This game looks like it will catch that flavor well.

Far Away Land: simple, quirky rules for an eye-catching fantasy game. And I'd really love to play through the setting-generation module.

Final Fantasy d6: this game looks to effectively catch both the mechanics and the theme of Final Fantasy combat and roleplaying. But it's a little bulky, which might help to explain why I've never found a game to hop into. (Why is there no FF icon? The name is almost as old as D&D!)

Well, that's 10. Happy gaming!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
1. AD&D I (the great inspirer, and I still use stuff from it)
2. B/X D&D (the teacher, and I still use stuff from it)
3. D&D 5E (main game now, and hopefully for a while)
4. Call of Cthulhu (maybe best designed game of all time)
5. Gamma World, 1E & 2E (may be the “purist” setting for an RPG)
6. AD&D II (so many problems, such a huge campaign and epic world)
7. D&D III & IV (disappointed in the end, but had fun with them)
8. FASA Star Trek (#1 in wishing I had played more)
9. Marvel Super Heroes, TSR, (yes, I think this was good game)
10. Traveler (and someday I think I will understand it)
Honorary Mention: Twilight 2000 (did not live up to our hopes, but still had fun)

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
4. Call of Cthulhu (maybe best designed game of all time)

Which edition? I never picked any of them up...which has always surprised me a little

Honorary Mention: Twilight 2000 (did not live up to our hopes, but still had fun)

One of my favorite 'useless' characters was from that game. I played a ultra-famous avant garde artist who used 'found' street signs, vehicles, and buildings to create his art. He was arrested so many times he had his own 'special' police to come arrest him and run him through the courts. It was very fun...and I even came in useful once or twice...I know I should go to RPG hell.

steenan

Adventurer
I'm not completely decided on the order among my "top 10", but I'm sure what games are there:
1. Fate Core
2. Dogs in the Vineyard
3. Dungeon World
4. Nobilis
5. Exalted
6. Blood&Smoke (aka new-new-Vampire)
7. D&D 4e
8. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (and other Cortex+ games)
9. Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine
10. Polaris

The list is quite eclectic and different games are there for different reasons. Some for great, inspiring settings (Nobilis, Exalted), some for being clear what they are about and delivering what's promised (DitV, DW, B&S, D&D4, Polaris) and some for being great engines to build things with (Fate, MHR, Chuubo's).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Which edition? I never picked any of them up...which has always surprised me a little

Which edition of CoC? Most from Chaosium are about the same, at least in play. the WotC D20 one obviously has some different mechanics, though in terms of providing an overview of the mythos and different thing you can do with it, it is also very good. I am not familiar with Trail of Cthulhu or the 7th edition that apparently has come out from Chaosium.

Remove ads