• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Youre favorite style of Elf

Sigdel

First Post
First off, please forgive me for any mistakes in this post. I have taken some cold medicine and it makes my head all fuzzy-like.
In many RPG's elves have different looks. Never seems to be a consensus on what style is preferred. So the style I like the best is the one shown in the Warcraft RPG. They just look plain cool. But I hate the way they are shown in the PHB. They look like some Grayling alien/human hybrid from an X Files script that was scrapped due to "lack of talent on behalf of the writer."
So what is everyone else's thoughts on this world shatteringly important subject. Sigdel needs sleep. Loosing fight against cold medicine. Speed of thought slowing to mall-walker pace...

trancejeremy

Adventurer
D'oh! This post reminded me I missed South Park. (the bit about the cold medicine)

Anyway, I actually think that elves should like Gray aliens, but the ones in the PHB don't really (the ones in the PHB are more Anime than anything else, with the giant ears and silly clothing).

Sort of cold looking, small-ish nose, large-ish eyes. Pointy ears, but slight ears, not great big floppy things.

Because the elves of legend and aliens from ufos are very very similar. Or the same thing, really, just interpreted differently because of the viewpoint of the encounterer

trancejeremy said:
D'oh! This post reminded me I missed South Park. (the bit about the cold medicine)

Anyway, I actually think that elves should like Gray aliens, but the ones in the PHB don't really (the ones in the PHB are more Anime than anything else, with the giant ears and silly clothing).

Sort of cold looking, small-ish nose, large-ish eyes. Pointy ears, but slight ears, not great big floppy things.

Because the elves of legend and aliens from ufos are very very similar. Or the same thing, really, just interpreted differently because of the viewpoint of the encounterer
That is SO yoinked for a d20 Modern game...

reanjr

First Post
I definitely don't like the alien appearence they have in the PHB. I think Elmore hits it pretty well (see especially Dragonlance's Gilthanas and Silvara). Basically, idealized, thin humans with pointy ears and no facial hair.

Keebler's are also acceptable.

The worst is floppy eared elves (Lodoss and almost every other anime)

Dark Jezter

First Post
trancejeremy said:

Huh, I'd never realized before that elves were like aliens. Although I should have realized it the first time our PCs were abducted by elves and subjected to anal probes.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
of course the Elf - Alien link was established by Disney in Darby OGill and the Little People:)

Dr Dale Russell of the Canadian Museum of Nature imagined what an evolved dinosaur might look like and came up with this (just add feathery hair and pointy ears)

dinoman_neoteny.jpg

A possible result of neoteny in the Stenonychosaurus

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like my elves Aerenal-flavor. Short, thin idealized humans with pointy ears, death-head tattoos and necrotized flesh.

Although that greys-as-elves idea is intriguing...

Demiurge out.

PS: I thought elves were best cooked in a light marinade of garlic, butter and Marsala...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads