D&D General You're Hasbro/WotC Marketing - What Do You Do for the 50-year Anniversary in 2024?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Simple. You re-release the Holmes and Mentzer box sets.

Re-relase ALL the LJN action figures/monsters/toys (possibly with some new or existing characters that never saw light of day, originally -like more females, halfling, and gnome characters, and more named evil "bad guys"), in poseable and scaled miniature form. Possibly a "collectables" of 6" figures of the original LJN cast: Ringlerun, Strongheart, Mercion, Melf/Paralay, Elkhorn, Northlord, (probably Deeth and Hawkler would be good, too.).

bmfrosty

Explorer
The 50th Anniversary is the perfect time for an anniversary edition core book set with errata and revisions.

Also a good opportunity to hint at 6e.
I think we're already getting our hints at 6e, and by the time 2024 comes around they'll be screaming from the rafters.

I think that 2024 sounds like a wonderful year for a 6th edition that would fully mathematically compatible with 5e. Hopefully - since this would be mathematically compatible - we'd see versions of each subclass that had been published for 5e available within the 6e core books.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I glanced at it about a year ago and got the impression of strong nostalgia for the days of the Satanic Panic and the 'edgy and dangerous' feel ascribed to the game in that era. It's one of many reasons I'm skeptical of WotC's direction for the game.
I honestly don't know where you'd get that impression. The book is unsparing about the repeated times TSR attempted to bankrupt itself, both under EGG and the Blumes, and the berserk proliferation of settings and the damage that did to the bottom line. (It's also very blunt about the commercial reasons for 3.5 and the mistakes of 4E, so this isn't a matter of beating up "the previous guys.")

It does, as you might imagine, say that D&D art has been a big part of its appeal and establishing its identity, but I don't think those are particularly controversial sentiments.

Hex08

Hero
Publicly sacrifice innocents to the Dark Gods to ensure another 50 years.

I would love to see a re-release of The World of Greyhawk. I don't play D&D anymore but I would buy that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
3.5 was to 3E
I doubt it will even be that, tbh. They’ll take the best/most popular stuff from 5e, repackage it with some decent errata, and the only big differences will be how races are portrayed and maybe, at most, some light reworking of unsatisfying classes.

But everything released for 5e will still 100% work with the 50th Editions core book. Not the awkward “technically compatible” status of 3.5, but just genuinely not a new edition by any reasonable measure.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I honestly don't know where you'd get that impression. The book is unsparing about the repeated times TSR attempted to bankrupt itself, both under EGG and the Blumes, and the berserk proliferation of settings and the damage that did to the bottom line. (It's also very blunt about the commercial reasons for 3.5 and the mistakes of 4E, so this isn't a matter of beating up "the previous guys.")

It's entirely possible I was wrong; it was just the impression I got from a brief flip-through. But WotC hasn't produced anything I've really enjoyed for nearly a decade, and everyone in the D&D space seems united in telling me that whatever makes 'real' or 'good' D&D, it's not for me, so I think I'll just stick with my old and despised stuff (mostly 2E and 4E) anyway. :)

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
With so many books and supplements in print, and all of those available digitally on D&D Beyond, it seems unlikely to me that they would do a full revised edition with, for instance, all the player options from Xanathar's, Tasha's, etc. in a new PHB. I could see them doing a revised PHB with a sprinkling of those things, though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's entirely possible I was wrong; it was just the impression I got from a brief flip-through. But WotC hasn't produced anything I've really enjoyed for nearly a decade, and everyone in the D&D space seems united in telling me that whatever makes 'real' or 'good' D&D, it's not for me, so I think I'll just stick with my old and despised stuff (mostly 2E and 4E) anyway. :)
I started with 1E and it really is a treasure trove of classic images from OD&D through 2E, including a lot of little-seen images. That's why I bought it and I am not disappointed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases