• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E You're the CEO of PAIZO. Now What?

Kafen

First Post
Comics would be neat. They do have a short story that goes with every issue of an AP already.

Yup, that is the seed of the comics that I had in mind. In my experience, the GM is largely in charge of selling a new edition to his players. The comics would help me sell it to my group. I know that my group members tend to be comic fans. So, the addition of comics would give me that extra edge when I get them to sit down for the AP line I intend to run this summer.

*not touching WOTC/4e debate in a Paizo topic*

Wicht

Hero
If I was CEO of Paizo, I would print up extra item cards and insert 1 in each package mailed.

For a while they were getting rid of some of their item card boosters packs by putting them in orders. Its always fun getting little free things in the mail like that. Just doing a single item card per package would scratch that little "freebie" itch and allow me to keep adding to my collection. Also, because I did get those free boosters, I do buy the actual item packs when I see them now at Books-a-Million.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I suggest perks for superscribers (beyond the messageboard nod).

Such as:
-Reduced shipping charges (or shipping upgrade at no additional charge)
-Early pdf downloading
-Free printed copies sent of the items Paizo gives away on Free RPG day
-Free copy of other promo items and/or swag given away at Cons
-Note (thank you, preview, etc.) occasionally from the CEO and/or other Paizo staffers included in shipment

...etc.

Windjammer

Adventurer
I suggest perks for superscribers (beyond the messageboard nod).

Such as:

... going Patron Project a lá Wolfgang Baur. I am astounded Paizo hasn't looked into this, given how they can talk to Baur about the intricacies to get round and the things to observe to ensure this takes off well (without e.g. violation of NDA's). It's the same type of product - a super-adventure (if in 1 instalment rather than 6) - and even the same authors worked on some of Baur's stuff e.g. Logue.

The type of product feedback customers give on paizo.com is nothing short of utterly impressive, but it's all a bit of after-release "damage control" as opposed to "cool, we'll take that into consideration". By example, some of the feedback given by people like Mary Yamato years ago would have averted to some of the pitfalls "Second Darkness" dived into.

Couple tons of high quality feedback with over-worked editors (that's at least what I recall James Jacobs and Wes Schneider repeatedly saying - maybe this changed since Paizo hired an editorial assistant in recent months)...

Given these two factors, I really don't get why Paizo doesn't draw on the free labour of their fans. Seriously, making superscribers into patrons is a pad on their shoulders and nets you free work at high caliber. Doing it is also exactly in line with netting the type of customer investment that the open playtests of the core ruleset and advanced player's guide have received on the side of the Pathfinder rules.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
I have recently become involved in some of Wolfgang's Patron projects and while they are fun, I also percieve they might slow down the process just a tad. Feedback and playtesting takes time and Paizo is on a continually tight schedule. They would have to plan their project well in advance for it to be feasible. Still, it might make for an interesting one-off: the AP designed by the fans.

AJCarrington

Explorer
... going Patron Project a lá Wolfgang Baur

I found this comment rather interesting. To me, the "Patron Project" concept is a vehicle to help ensure financial viability of a product, before investing resources into it. Most of Paizo's products don't strike me as falling into this category. However, I do like the idea of trying to engage/recognize the Superscriber community differently - not sure if this is the right way.

AJC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads