• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E You're the CEO of PAIZO. Now What?

Longtooth Studios

First Post
I think we can all agree that the subscription based model is a win / win for both sides.
Strong, industry leading community interaction is a major part of the successful formula.
A great system that may not be flawless, but proven.
A dedicated and vigilant staff, and a a sea of high quality freelance skill to draw upon.
The books are high quality, with PDF consideration built into the model.

The list can go on, but I think one thing can be said for certain, the fan base is being tapped heavily, and represents the biggest limiting factor in the ability to develop new products.

My #1 priority would be to try and expand the fan base. Easier said than done I realize, but if discussion could be focused on that one aspect maybe something original could light a fire.

Possible sources of new dedicated fans?
MMORPG defectors that are flocking to miniature war games. So maybe a siege style war-game around the various themed settings of the campaign world?

Instead of putting gobs of money into developing a line of minis, come up with a single book that outlines a very universal war-game combat system that allows players to use the various miniatures they have laying around. Let the setting be the focus, and the rules simple.
The idea is to not revolutionize the war-game market, but to try and drive a stake into it.
The campaign setting has giants of fire, stone elementals, dragons, and wizards, so don't tell anyone that they have to have a specific mini to represent that, just tell them what that sort of mini type can do. The I would love to have something else to do with all these miniatures I have around.
Thats just the first thought that jumps into my head. Now, people who know more about mini war games, shoot it down or polish it up.

xechnao

First Post
The list can go on, but I think one thing can be said for certain, the fan base is being tapped heavily, and represents the biggest limiting factor in the ability to develop new products.

My #1 priority would be to try and expand the fan base. Easier said than done I realize, but if discussion could be focused on that one aspect maybe something original could light a fire.
I think this is excellent advice. I have a hard time imagining 3.x's design appeal lasting for many years, especially when the next fad and step of tabletop game design hits the market.

I think the CEO should allready have ideas about new development possibilities and discussions with community should start at the very least before the end of the next year.

Wicht

Hero
I think this is excellent advice. I have a hard time imagining 3.x's design appeal lasting for many years, especially when the next fad and step of tabletop game design hits the market.

I always get the feeling when I hear people say this that they are letting their biases influence their prognosticating.

The appeal of 3.x has already lasted for many years and, speaking only for myself, the appeal isn't getting any less. Not to mention the newest design has already hit the market.

Longtooth Studios

First Post

I think the CEO should allready have ideas about new development possibilities and discussions with community should start at the very least before the end of the next year.

I think you may be reading into it a bit. I wasn't suggesting that the system was the problem. It has, and will keep many fans for a long time.

I was just suggesting building a bridge into an untapped fan base and try to see if the setting can inspire new RPG players out of war-gamers whose numbers are swelling due to defecting MMORPG players.

More fans means more income which means more room to explore. I have every faith that they have a finger on the pulse of the fans who are paying the bills. Don't want to alienate them.

xechnao

First Post
I always get the feeling when I hear people say this that they are letting their biases influence their prognosticating.

The appeal of 3.x has already lasted for many years and, speaking only for myself, the appeal isn't getting any less. Not to mention the newest design has already hit the market.

Everyone has biases, including me and you. So does Diaglo's appeal for OD&D.

When Paizo ventured to develop Pathfinder, some people over here were saying that although Paizo's move was gutsy, it was desperate. They were saying that Pathfinder had few chances to actually succeed within the current D&D market and community. The next thing I know is that Wotc was following Paizo's marketing model of community development, even if Mike Mearls had come here at enworld, at the time Paizo was starting to advertise for its alpha, claiming that community development was no good.

It seems Paizo know their stuff. They know their business. They do not just know how to be mere developers of some publishing project: they know how to be good investors. They know how to invest in the hobby. That the main focus of their line is to try and develop their own IP instead of someone else's IP speaks volumes.

Today their system is Pathfinder. Tomorrow, if Golarion novels meet some public success and appeal it would not be very hard to try different games and game systems on their IP.

Paizo's stuff certainly know better than me and you, so no need for you preaching to me about what I am saying and what you think Paizo's state of affairs is.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Possible sources of new dedicated fans?
MMORPG defectors that are flocking to miniature war games. So maybe a siege style war-game around the various themed settings of the campaign world?

Instead of putting gobs of money into developing a line of minis, come up with a single book that outlines a very universal war-game combat system that allows players to use the various miniatures they have laying around. Let the setting be the focus, and the rules simple.
The idea is to not revolutionize the war-game market, but to try and drive a stake into it.
The campaign setting has giants of fire, stone elementals, dragons, and wizards, so don't tell anyone that they have to have a specific mini to represent that, just tell them what that sort of mini type can do. The I would love to have something else to do with all these miniatures I have around.
Thats just the first thought that jumps into my head. Now, people who know more about mini war games, shoot it down or polish it up.

First, decide what level of conflict you're trying to cover. 1:1 skirmishes, there are already rules for. Large scale battles between large armies, there are already rules for. In fact, I doubt if you could find a level of battle or skirmish which doesn't have several existing sets of wargames rules that deal with it. If you want to get people to switch from those, you have to either do the things they already do, but noticeably better, or you provide something sufficiently innovative that people want to try it. Considering that games as different as Warrior Heroes, Hostile Realms, and HotT already exist, and the companies that produce them are your competition, innovative might be a problem. In the end, I suspect the main customers would be existing Paizo customers rather than it serving as a product to get new people interested. It's not a matter of price, either, since for miniature wargamers the main expense is always the figures/army and the time spent on that.

Wicht

Hero
Paizo's stuff certainly know better than me and you, so no need for you preaching to me about what I am saying and what you think Paizo's state of affairs is.

My apologies if you thought I was preaching at you. I was simply trying to politely disagree that 3e was going to soon lose its "fadish" appeal.

Remove ads