Yugoloth Lore

Shemeska

Adventurer
Here's a link to the original thread over on Planewalker.

Reposted here (I'm leaving out material from Gygax's later books, because they don't mesh with how the 'loths developed after 1e, and aren't relevant to any potential FC:III for that, and legal reasons.) After I've had dinner I'll strip out the 'loths that don't actually appear in canon.

Planewalker thread on 'loths said:
Name: A'kin
Species: Arcanaloth
Alias: The Friendly Fiend
Desc: Head of a fanged jackal. Wide, white strip of fur partially encircling his golden eyes like a bandit's mask. Six golden hoop earrings in his ears. Hair pulled into multiple tiny tufts, held together by golden bands. Clean, sandy brown fur. Wears a robe speckled with teal, gold, and black. Low, raspy voice.
Operates: "The Friendly Fiend", a magic item shop in Sigil
Source: Uncaged: Faces of Sigil

Name: Duke Dyavin B'Wee
Alias: Dyavin
Desc: Thin, almost skeletal, covered in stiff white fur.
Operates: Dyavin is a record-keeper in the Tower Arcane in Gehenna. His title "Duke" probably indicates he's quite a high-up there. He's also an ally of A'kin, helping the Friendly Fiend procure documents and bits of chant in exchange for favors.
Source: Hellbound: The Blood War

Name: M'trenz Ro
Species: Ultroloth
Alias: M'trenz
Desc: Faceless, eyes like fire-opals.
Operates: Wanders the Outlands, claiming to be on the run from his race. Often hires mortal pawns for missions to the Lower Planes.

Name: Krell
Alias: none
Desc: Wolf-headed, so gaunt her ribs visibly show through her skin. Her cape is in tatters, her brown fur is mangy, and her eyes are red from weeping. She stinks of urine and arcanaloth-poo.
Operates: From a cave in Colothys in Carceri, where she fled after being stripped of her rank and power due to political disagreements with a higher-ranking arcanaloth. May ultimately turn to good in desperation, but will become evil again if she gets her power back.
Source: Well of Worlds

Name: Shemeshka the Marauder
Alias: King of the Cross-Trade
Desc: Face like a groomed fox from the fields of Arcadia. Her spotless coppery fur is soft and tangle-free, and thin white streaks fan out from the end of her snout to the edges of her face. She's never without her spidery razorvine headdress, and would not be caught dead without her garish beads, jewelry, bracelets, ring, or regal robe.
Operates: The Fortune's Wheel, an opulent gambling bar in The Lady's Ward where the rich and powerful conduct secretive dealings.
Source: Uncaged: Faces of Sigil

Name: The General of Gehenna
Species: Ultroloth? (probably)
Alias: unknown
Desc: unknown
Operates: The Crawling City in Gehenna. Controls the entire yugoloth race. Puppetmaster of the Blood War.
Source: Planescape Monstrous Compendium, Hellbound: The Blood War, Faces of Evil: The Fiends, 3rd edition Manual of the Planes

Name: unknown
Desc: Bald, fire-opal eyes
Operates: Is an observer of the Blood War roaming the Field of Nettles in the Gray Waste. If the PCs don't bother it, it won't bother them.

Desc: Motionless, its spare frame covered by a voluminous black cloak. Ebony eyes. Voice like the buzzing of strange bees in a hive or the crash of acidic waves on a sulfurous shore.
Operates: In a cavern in the Outlands or a house in Hopeless, angered by arms shipments from the Upper Planes. Wants the celestials to keep their noses out of the Blood War.

Alias: Crassag's Master
Desc: Its form melds to its throne like clay, its smooth, supple hands caressing the arms of the rough stone seat. Piercing, fiery white eyes. Capable of agile leaps.
Operates: A cavern made from the living, agonized bodies of yugoloths of every type. It sits on an animate throne.

Name: Anthraxus
Species: Altraloth (former ultroloth)
Alias: The Diseased
Desc: 10' tall man in a rotting gray suit and cape, ram's head grossly deformed by disease. Foamy spittle drips constantly from his mouth, and the matted wool on his body pulls away from his skin in handfuls. Anthraxus' skin is covered with festering boils which continually burst spraying out foul yellow pus while peeling Anthraxus' skin away from the fleshy tissue underneath.
Operates. Former Oinoloth (preceding Mydianchlarus). He wanders between numerous hidden keeps and safehouses throughout the Lower Planes filled with magical items and money. He uses these riches to finance the obsessive schemes that bring him ever closer to reclaiming Khin-Oin.
Source: Dragon Magazine Annual #2

Name: Mydianchlarus
Desc: Faceless humanoid with large eyes that resemble fire-opals. Dark gray skin and flowing cloak. Unlike every other Oinoloth, the power of the Siege Malicious has left no marks on the face of Mydianchlarus; it is as smooth and unsullied as it was when he first became an ultroloth. Only three physical changes are known: his footprints are bloody; the hem of his robe is red and dripping even in the gloom of the Waste; a trail of blood follows him wherever he goes. This, for Mydianchlarus, is curse enough; his cherished anonymity is now gone forever.
Operates: From the Wasting Tower of Khin-Oin in the Gray Waste, where he rules as the current Oinoloth. Chant is that he made Anthraxus give up his post by whispering a single secret in his ear.
Source: Faces of Evil: The Fiends, Description by Rip

Name: Bubonix
Species: Altraloth (former arcanaloth)
Alias: Overlord of Carceri
Desc: 12' tall hideous humanoid covered in putrid black lumpy sores. His body exudes the stench of decayed, rotting flesh. Bubonix always wears a military uniform of the purest white, which is somehow not stained from the constant flow of blackest pus oozing from his sores.
Operates: Patiently camped outside the still-under-construction Tower of Incarnate Pain in Carceri. Bubonix sees himself as eventually becoming the self-styled counterpart of the General of Gehenna.

Name: Cholerix
Species: Altraloth (former nycaloth)
Desc: A dehydrated nycaloth stands, its wings withered into vestigial limbs, its face nothing more than a skull with sickly jaundiced, faintly green tinged skin stretched over it. Dressed in a deep red robe that hurts the eyes while in the Waste, the altraloth is decked in gold and jewels. Though you cannot explain why, you know this being is female. The stench of urea and vomit surround her, though her emaciated body seems paradoxically sterile. This is the form of Cholerix, an altraloth whose only seeming ambition is to serve Bubonix in return for wealth unending.
Operates: Oversees the yugoloth army camped outside the still-under-construction Tower of Incarnate Pain in Carceri and personally meets with tanar'ri lords to forge mercenary contracts on behalf of Bubonix.
Source: Dragon Magazine Annual #2, sciborg from the Wizards boards (who I stole the description from)

Name: Xengahra
Species: Altraloth
Alias: Death-Bringer, the Fallen One
Desc: Were it not for the expression of utter despair that hangs upon this altraloth's haggard face, a blood might believe herself in the presence of a true solar, the most powerful of aasimon.
Operates: As an outcast, Xengahra has taken to roaming the Outlands these past few centuries. He drains away life from even the heartiest of celestials. He is the literal embodiment of hopelessness.

Name: Cerlic
Alias: Charon, the Stygian Boatman, the Ferryman
Desc: He appears as a large, skeletal marraenoloth standing just 7' tall with bright green eyes that glow malevolently.
Operates: A stronghold on the Astral Plane built entirely of black ice. Cerlic is lord and defender of all the marraenoloths.

Name: Typhus
Desc: A 12' tall misshapen yugoloth looking much like a hunch-backed mezzoloth with a limp. Beings within 10' of him catch a terrible fever.
Operates: One of the greatest combat minds in the planes, Typhus unfortunately has a serious lack of wisdom. He commands a rag-tag mercenary army called the Infernal Front, composed of outcast baatezu, tanar'ri, tieflings, humans, slaadi, and a handful of rogue modrons. He is a rival to both the General of Gehenna and Bubonix, and plans to end the Blood War.

Name: Taba
Alias: Myriad
Desc: Taba is seen in any number of forms, most often female. She speaks all lower planar tongues with no accent and can radiate any evil alignment she chooses.
Operates: Taba's the ultimate master spy and thief, with the ability to take the shape of any fiend. With this ability, she is easily able to slip into and out of the depths of any of the Lower Planes without notice. Her approach to infiltration and espionage is practically foolproof. Rest assured, Taba will get you in. This altraloth never fails. Only the night hags know how to contact her.

Name: Helekanalaith
Alias: The Keeper of the Tower Arcane
Desc: He grinned ruefully and flicked the tip of one chocolate brown ear, a bit of cinder blown by the wind having struck it and smoldered. Larsdana looked at the younger Arcanaloth as hovered inches suspended over a lump of basalt, his scarlet and golden robes dangling below him, blowing softly in the wind.
Operates: Helekanalaith is in charge of the Tower of the Arcanaloths in Chamada, Gehenna's second volcano. The Tower is one of only two and a half great towers that the yugoloths control; it is one of the great sources of new mezzoloths and one of the most important sites in all 'lothdom. Helekanalaith is sadistic and ambitious. He imprisoned his mentor and former lover, Larsdana ap Nuet, in a soul gem.
Source: Planes of Conflict, Todd Stewart (Shemmy)

Name: Larsdana ap Nuet
Alias: Architect of the Tower Arcane
Desc: A slender, almost anemically thin arcanaloth with a coat of light tan and grayish fur and a shoulder length mane of brilliant scarlet hair, blending to raven black at the tips. She smiled, baring fangs. She turned, her cobalt robes swirling in the air. She has violet eyes.
Operates: She built the Tower Arcane as a focal point for the arcanaloths' power. Helekanalaith was her apprentice, and her lover, and the cause of her ruin.
Source: Planes of Conflict, Todd Stewart (Shemmy)

Name: Ailanreanter
Operates: Ailanreanter claims the yugoloths seek only good; it's just that their definition of "good" is different from most. He or she enjoys messing with peoples' heads.
Source: Planes of Conflict

Name: Alcain Fem'at
Desc: Golden fur.
Operates: Alcain Fem'at is a contact of Enkillo the Sly, a tiefling expert on fiends. He claims that yugoloths are simply merchants, not the puppetmasters many claim they are. Alcain has a nycoloth assistant, and is probably a liar. But then, he knows you know that.
Source: Faces of Evil: The Fiends

Name: Incarus
Species: Yagnoloth
Desc: A large, horrible creature with two unequal arms, one man-sized and the other giant-sized. Incarus has scaly red skin, bulky muscles, and a horrid, skull-like head with wing-like ears.
Operates: Dwelling deep beneath Sigil's streets, Incarus is a scheming yugoloth who watches over and occasionally manipulates events in the City of Doors. He communicates with Ely Cromlich of the Doomguard through an artifact called the Nightmare Shaft. He hopes to conquer Sigil with an army of fiends.
Source: Faction War

Name: Nisviim
Alias: The Oinoloths' Right Hand
Desc: Jackal-headed
Operates: Nisviim was bound by his true name to the service of Anthraxus long ago, becoming the altraloth's most trusted servant and ultimately the seneschal of the Wasting Tower. When Anthraxus abandoned his throne in Khin-Oin, he took no servants with him, not even Nisviim. As a result, the arcanaloth continues in the role Anthraxus chose for him, serving Mydianchlarus as he once served his predecessor. However, Nisviim is not bound to Mydianchlarus as he is to Anthraxus, so his loyalty is more to Khin-Oin itself than to the Oinoloth. Nisviim also fears Anthraxus' return, and thus will do nothing against his former lord's interest.
Source: Paul Kemp (converted to the Great Wheel cosmology by Rip)

Name: Daerith
Species: Nycaloth
Operates: Tried to enter the palace of Malsheem unannounced; was torn apart by pit fiends. According to the rules in force at the time, Daerith should have eventually regenerated in Hades or Gehenna.
Source: Dragon #76 (Ed Greenwood)

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Question for you Shade, since this is your thread:

I assume you want to keep this only with 'loths that have appeared in published material, rather than fan sources? Otherwise I've got a ton of links to drop... ;)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Shade said:
Didn't Daru Ib Shamiq exist as a sort of ghost at one point as well? (Perhaps I'm confusing him with one of the other baerns...or something else entirely)

No, he appears in the module as a sickly, but wholly corporeal being. He had that 'ghost yugoloth' tethered to a fake tomb in the rubble of Daubei's Obscure Woe, a villa in the gatetown of Torch which contained the portal to his domain in Gehenna. He also had a (greater) guardian yugoloth stationed on the interior of the house, just before the bound space of the portal.

D'oh! How'd I miss that? :heh:

Please report for twelve days of pointless misery in the Reflective Chasm immediately. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 larvae. ;)

Sammael

Adventurer
The Trio Nefarious: Aulmpiter, Gaulguth, Malimshaer (advanced nycaloths), who led the Army of Darkness and orchestrated Myth Drannor's fall. They appear in various FR sourcebooks, but are most prominently featured in the Arcane Age adventure The Fall of Myth Drannor.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Here's some obscure ones I'll chip in with. They may or may not be relevant, considering the source:

- Darktome the Arcanaloth [Blood War trading card game, warlord/uncommon]

- Vadarther the Ultroloth [Blood War trading card game, warlord/common]

saucercrab

Explorer
Shemeska said:
Malkazid, but he's not a yugoloth.
Nope, not him. I said FR novel. ;)

And I found it.

Inthracis appears in Resurrection, War of the Spiderqueen Book VI (I don't think it appears earlier in the series). It's a (seemingly) very powerful ultroloth, skilled in necromancy, that rules Corpsehaven, a realm/desmesne on Calaas (the largest volcano), in the Blood Rift.

The book also mentions Kexxon the Oinoloth, Archgeneral of the Blood Rift (its fort is called the Steel Keep), & Bubonis & its Obsidian Tower. Bubonis is mentioned as the ultroloth immediately below Inthracis in the Blood Rift's ultroloth hierarchy.

Use it how you will.

Shemeska

Adventurer
It's from bizarro world, but we'll add it anyways :)

saucercrab said:
Nope, not him. I said FR novel. ;)

He was in the Last Mythal trilogy of FR novels ;)

Inthracis appears in Resurrection, War of the Spiderqueen Book VI (I don't think it appears earlier in the series). It's a (seemingly) very powerful ultroloth, skilled in necromancy, that rules Corpsehaven, a realm/desmesne on Calaas (the largest volcano), in the Blood Rift.

The book also mentions Kexxon the Oinoloth, Archgeneral of the Blood Rift (its fort is called the Steel Keep), & Bubonis & its Obsidian Tower. Bubonis is mentioned as the ultroloth immediately below Inthracis in the Blood Rift's ultroloth hierarchy.

Use it how you will.

*chuckle*

It's pastiche. Or homage. Depending on your point of view I suppose.

Great Wheel / Bizarro World

Anthraxus / Inthacis
Khalas / Calaas
Bubonix / Bubonis

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Another infamous yugoloth is the arcanaloth Yrkhetep, vassal of Anthraxus, who appears as the main villain in the early FR 1e adventure I14 Swords of the Iron Legion.

Most of the adventures in the module take place in the Vilhon Reach area, but the last one (The Final Battle: The Infinity Train) is set in Oinos in the Gray Waste and describes two locations -- the Black Bridge and the Domain of Yrkhetep. Anthraxus makes an appearance at the end of the adventure.

Cheers

Richard

Ripzerai

Explorer
Note that the yugoloths whose source is listed above solely as Shemmy or me are not official.

To that list we should add Tul-oc-luc the Arcanadaemon, from the 1st edition adventure Isle of the Ape. I believe it is an ally of Iggwilv's.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Ripzerai said:
Note that the yugoloths whose source is listed above solely as Shemmy or me are not official.

I edited it and removed all of them. A day late, but there we go. :)

Thanks for the mention of the arcanaloth from Isle of the Ape. I left that off the list originally because I wasn't sure if it was from the IotA module, or just on the 'net.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases