Zak Smith is suing his accusers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Would you want to be judged without due process and just have someone convict you based on their accusations. I think not.

Answer the question. - if there's no video evidence, how will your friend or family member prove assault?

They can't, right? "Beyond a reasonable doubt," can't be met on evidence here. So... do you go about telling your friend of family member ot shut up about being punched, because they can't prove it?

I’m terrified of false accusations.

I know. So, here's the thing - look up the thread, to the point where Dannyalcatraz notes that false accusations are rare.

You have to do the hard thing - ignore your fear for a moment. Your fear is not based on data. It is a feeling that came creeping out of the back of your skull without real foundation.

In reality, if you comport yourself like a person who shouldn't be accused, an accusation is unlikely to happen at all. If you are good, kind, respectful, and all those things you know you are supposed to be anyway, nobody is ever going to falsely accuse you - they'll have no need or desire to do so, because you will have treated them well. If someone is going to cast about with a false accusation*, they won't do so to someone who they found to be a good person. They'll find some nozzle to malign.

*Note - the woman who casts around to make accusations without cause is a myth, too. Women do not gain anything from making accusations. Nothing positive happens to women when they make accusations.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So people are never falsely accused. If one of accused it must be true. Is that what you are saying?
No, I'm saying "The best defence against that is to make sure you never behave in a way that would make somebody accuse you of domestic violence and rape; namely don’t commit domestic violence or rape. You’ll be fine."

You quoted me. I was saying the thing that you quoted.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Answer the question. - if there's no video evidence, how will your friend or family member prove assault?

They can't, right? "Beyond a reasonable doubt," can't be met on evidence here. So... do you go about telling your friend of family member ot shut up about being punched, because they can't prove it?

I know. So, here's the thing - look up the thread, to the point where Dannyalcatraz notes that false accusations are rare.

You have to do the hard thing - ignore your fear for a moment. Your fear is not based on data. It is a feeling that came creeping out of the back of your skull without real foundation.

In reality, if you comport yourself like a person who shouldn't be accused, an accusation is unlikely to happen at all. If you are good, kind, respectful, and all those things you know you are supposed to be anyway, nobody is ever going to falsely accuse you - they'll have no need or desire to do so, because you will have treated them well. If someone is going to cast about with a false accusation, they won't do so to someone who they found to be a good person. They'll find some nozzle to malign.

Like I said if it was someone I know. But these aren’t people I know. I’m not going to assume he is guilty or treat him like he is guilty. And I hope people do the same for me. People lie. People jump in a band wagon, for various reasons. If they got evidence and convict him I would understand. I hope to god nothing like that ever happens to me.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Innocent until proven guilty.

A fine foundation for a state-run criminal justice system, to be true.

That's not what any of this is, though. I'd say that you'd get that if you actually read a single thing lowkey wrote, for instance, but that's giving you too much credit. I'm fairly certain you do know the difference, but are only willing to accept them under suspiciously specific situations.

Look, we get that this whole shtick is an argument in bad faith, right? The whole "the criminal justice system is the only possible arbiter of truth" gimmick is wrong in so many levels that there's no way anybody actually believes in it, really. I mean, never mind that the criminal justice system, at least here in the U.S., is flawed as hell (trial etiquette tends to obscure truth at times in a vain and largely unsuccessful attempt to avoid bias; twelve randomly selected schmucks are no worse or better at determining the truth of the situation than anyone else and are probably the least suited to the task given the aforementioned obfuscation keeping certain details specifically withheld from them, owing in part to a failure rate [and particularly a false positive rate] that ought to be flat out horrifying to anyone if they actually bothered to pay attention to it). Even if we assume that the criminal justice system is anywhere close to as infallible as it aspires to be (and it is not anywhere close to that, just so we're clear), it wouldn't matter because we know everybody understands the difference between criminal punishment and social consequences; I refuse to believe that anyone has made it to functional adulthood without understanding that very fundamental societal fact.

It's an argument in bad faith because its only purpose is to advance a specific political agenda (or to stymie a specific political agenda, I guess, but that's largely a case of six-to-one and half-dozen-to-the-other). It doesn't need to be logically untenable; those arguments can be easily and largely ignored, and appropriate calls of hypocricy can be just as easily swept aside with claims to ideological purity that couldn't possibly withstand real-world scrutiny, because it doesn't have to.

Anything to make it easier to take women less seriously, right?

Such arguments deserve to be as ignored as their practitioners ignore any response that appeals to logic and reason.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Are you terrified that you will be accused of theft?
Of embezzlement?
Of child abuse?
Of child molestation?
Of murder?
Of extortion?

...no?

Then why are you singularly obsessed with this?
I am terrified of being accused falsely of domestic violence, sexual misconduct, and rape because of how being falsely accused can destroy you. I wake up terrified of that everyday.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A fine foundation for a state-run criminal justice system, to be true.

Indeed. It is the legal standard set which must be met before the state fines or imprisons somebody, to protect the public from abuses of authority. It most certainly is not a legal standard required for conversations, the formation of personal opinions, or peoples' decisions about who they want to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads