ZEITGEIST [Zeitgeist] Wizard vs. Artificer...

LeStew

Explorer
Hi All~

About to start playing in this campaign and I'm trying to decide on my D&D 4E class. I've read the Player's guide and can't seem to find a great definition for classes and how they would interact in the world. So here's what I've got so far:

Race = Dwarf
Class = EITHER Wizard or Artificer
Theme = Technologist.

He will have come from a war college in Drakar, and will be part of the RHC. Think Gimly's bravado, but with using his mind instead of an ax.

So my real question is, how does magic work in this setting? What is the difference between magic and technology? Ultimately my DM and I will decide, I'm just trying to get a good idea before we sit down and hash it out.

Thanks all!

Technology in the setting is, y'know, technology. Science. Stuff that works in our world.

Magic uses a different set of rules, where you don't need a visible chain of cause to effect. Say some words and fire appears, via some pathway that probably involves invisible dimensions that react to some rare confluence of semiotic energy and mental states, which ritual and spell components can help bring about.

Technologists combine the two, using magic to help technology do stuff that they haven't scientifically figured out yet. Sure, magic can create a fireball, and technology can refine chemicals that can explode, but a technologist might make a magical device that refines chemicals rapidly without obeying normal physical laws, then shoots them at a target so they explode.

I would say, though, that I'm not a fan of the artificer class when it comes to gameplay. Personally I'd rather play a wizard and just reskin a few things as being more tech-y.

Remove ads