D&D 5E Zooming In On Monsters of the Multiverse [UPDATED!]

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images. The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in...
Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images.

The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.29.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.31.47 AM.png

UPDATE -- a cleaned up version of the War Priest has appeared on imgur.

1nFCAVj.png

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd prefer that abilities that are spells be called out as spell abilities that can be counterspelled or whatever......I mean, I'm guessing there are a lot of house ruled magic items and abilities that only work against spells......so, we'll see how I really feel about this.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Why? They've clearly re-skinned a spell, just like they advise us to do. It is actually a great example of how to do it.
Yes, i get that. I did exactly this sort of thing in 3e/PF, because it just makes so much sense.

My problem is that I don't necessarily know what spell they've reskinned. So if I want to customize this NPC-- to swap this ability out with a spell of similar power-- I'm not immediately sure how to do that. Otoh, if I know what spell it is, then I can look that up and easily scroll through a list of others of like level. For damage abilities, it's not really an issue. But exchanging, say, a damage spell for a control spell, it's not super clear how to do that, especially to an inexperienced GM.

* Admission: I can't actually read the text in the image, so there's that!

Remathilis

Legend
I'm confused. I thought the monsters were mostly the non-npc monsters in from the various modules compiled, like tressyms or tree blights. I'm starting to feel this is more the non-fluff bits of Volo + ToF smashed together into one crunch book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm confused. I thought the monsters were mostly the non-npc monsters in from the various modules compiled, like tressyms or tree blights. I'm starting to feel this is more the non-fluff bits of Volo + ToF smashed together into one crunch book.
It is very explicitly Volo's and Mordenkainen's Bestiaries redacted and rewritten with a newer design approach, along with 30 PC options (the Hobgoblin and Kobold tested earlier this year, for example). A chance to reframe the Lore.of D&D with current values, and to test out new design ideas.

Scribe

Legend
This is where I'm at now as well.

bergec

Explorer
I have always liked having the demons, devils, dragons, dinosaurs, etc. togther (interesting that the D section had a lot of groups). I found it easy to use, especially if the book had good search tools.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is still an entry under Demon, Devil, Dragon etc with the information that applies to the whole group and probably a table listing all of the individual types with page reference numbers. Best of both worlds.

That's pretty much the assumption around here, especially given the examples theyve shown, which are all updated VGtM stat blocks. With around 250 stat blocks, which is very close to the combined number in VGtM and MToF, we'll probably see only a minimal number, if any, from other sources...

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
* Admission: I can't actually read the text in the image, so there's that!
Assuming you are talking about the Bard, it looks to me like it says:
Bard Preview said:
Actions
----------------
Multiattack. The bard makes two Shortsword or Shortbow attacks. It can replace one attack with a use of Spellcasting.

Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range: 80/320, one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Cacophony (Recharge 4-6). Each creature in a 15(10?)-foot cube originating from the bard must make a DC 12 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 9 (2d8) thunder damage and is pushed up to 10 feet away from the bard. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage and isn't pushed.

Spellcasting. The bard casts one of the following spells, using Charisma as the spellcasting ability (spell save DC 17)

At will: dancing lights, mage hand, prestidigitation
1/day casts charm person, invisibility, sleep

Bonus Actions
----------
Taunt (2/Day).
The bard targets one creature within 30 feet of it. If the target can hear the bard, the target must succeed on a DC 12 Charisma saving throw or have disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws until the start of the bard's next turn.

Remove ads

Remove ads