D&D 5E Zooming In On Monsters of the Multiverse [UPDATED!]

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images.

The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.29.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.31.47 AM.png

UPDATE -- a cleaned up version of the War Priest has appeared on imgur.

1nFCAVj.png

Last edited:

Because that way I need to stop the combat, reach for the PHB, flip through to the preferable because it doesn't do the job.

Or probably you try to really read my post and notice that I said:

"... casts thunderwave at level x and does..."
Which means that after "does... " there will be a short desription. I thought it would be obvious but I think that was aking a bit much of you. So I am deeply sorry.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
personally, I want foes to be diet pc similar enough that we are clearly the same object in universe but way less moving parts and ideal none can get powers the other can't as that feels unfair for some strange reason.

Do you buy supplements?

What is the impact in the world when you add subclasses and spells from a supplement?

Do people start learning those classes? Are people retroactively members of those classes?

Why can't there just have been those people in the world all along even though there weren't PC rules for them yet?

As far as fairness goes, isn't it also unfair then that NPCs get to start the game at high levels even if every PC needs to start at a low level? For fairness, shouldn't each NPC need to go on adventures and fight adversaries just like the PCs do?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Do you buy supplements?

What is the impact in the world when you add subclasses and spells from a supplement?

Do people start learning those classes? Are people retroactively members of those classes?

Why can't there just have been those people in the world all along even though there weren't PC rules for them yet?

As far as fairness goes, isn't it also unfair then that NPCs get to start the game at high levels even if every PC needs to start at a low level? For fairness, shouldn't each NPC need to go on adventures and fight adversaries just like the PCs do?
it strikes me as unfair from the players perspective and takes me out from the universe.

well if all necromancers are wizards then logically they should be similar at similar levels correct?
I do not need them perfect just the parts that make them feel right.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
it strikes me as unfair from the players perspective and takes me out from the universe.

well if all necromancers are wizards then logically they should be similar at similar levels correct?
I do not need them perfect just the parts that make them feel right.

I just see it as (usually) them having a subclass that just isn't in a PC rule yet.

I like to conceptualize them as similar but I'm fine with them all having their own powers. When we get a new subclass in a new book I think of it as always being in the world. It's just a PC option now.

There are plenty of races who live in the world too even if there aren't PC options for them. I don't think that's unfair either.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I just see it as (usually) them having a subclass that just isn't in a PC rule yet.

I like to conceptualize them as similar but I'm fine with them all having their own powers. When we get a new subclass in a new book I think of it as always being in the world. It's just a PC option now.

There are plenty of races who live in the world too even if there aren't PC options for them. I don't think that's unfair either.
it depends on if we ever get the subclass.

not all races would work as pc race plus who is asking to play a beholder?

kae

First Post
what is this book? i really don't get it.
is it all old monsters, but "updated"? updated to fit what then exactly? and why? if its not that or more, what then? I'm lost..
thanks!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
is it all old monsters, but "updated"? updated to fit what then exactly? and why? if its not that or more, what then? I'm lost..
thanks!
If the old monster had the Spellcasting ability, that feature is now shortened a ton and put in the Actions section of the monster stat block. Quite a few of them also have at least one of their spells written out in the Actions section, so you don't have to go to the PHB to look up what the spell does (and some of them have slightly different mechanics/names from the PC versions).

They haven't stated what other updates they'll do to other monsters, but this book also has reprints and updated versions of non-PHB, non-setting-specific 30 races to match the format of newer races (probably removing racial Ability Score Increases, letting innate spellcasters use their own spell slots to cast their spells, etc).

That's basically what the book is. Reprinted and updated monsters and races that weren't in the PHB.

Omand

Hero
thanks!
As near as we can tell at this time, Monsters of the Multiverse will be a collection and reprinting of the bestiary sections of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and Volo's Guide to Monsters. There may also be some monsters collected into the book from the various adventures WotC has released so far for 5E where monsters were presented in the books, but not in the Monster Manual.

In addition, Monsters of the Multiverse will also contain the culture/race/lineage information for over 30 playable races drawn from the books WotC has released so far. These races are supposed to be the "non-setting specific" races. Exactly which races will be collected here is not known 100%, but various theories have appeared earlier in the thread.

There are hints from D&D Celebration interviews that there will be some revisions to at least some of the information presented. We know for certain that the monsters are going to appear in a revised presentation format and some examples were show on the D&D Celebration finale. How many changes will be made, and to how many creatures is not known.

Based upon the D&D Celebration interview, it appears this new format is what we will see in all books going forwards for creature/monster presentation, including for the revised Monster Manual for the 50th Anniversary in 2024.

Beyond this we do not have exact information. Lots of speculation, but not much hard data.

Cheers :)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
it depends on if we ever get the subclass.

not all races would work as pc race plus who is asking to play a beholder?

What do you mean if we ever get the subclass?

If a subclass option becomes available in a new book was there never anyone in the world who was of that subclass before? And now if there suddenly are people who are taking that for the first time, how does that happen?

In a world where NPCs are only ever created with PC rules I don't see how new options could be introduced without completing rewriting the campaign world.

Not all races, but there are certainly some races that could be PC races which don't have rules for them yet. We've gotten many new races as PC options since 5e came out and yet those were all available to be NPCs before they were options.

Was that unfair?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases