Zweihander combat question

So I'm looking over Zweihander, and I'm cautiously impressed, but I have a question:

Looking over the list of martial melee weapons, it looks like there are only superficial differences. The Court sword would seem to basically be as good as the Zweihander, while being nearly half the price and one-third the encumbrance. Especially when pairing the court sword with an off-hand dagger (+1 to damage).

Did I miss something?

It seems odd that a system that covers so many bases so neatly overlooked something of this nature.

Also, how are Fate Points awarded? p.67 covered the initial FP, but I can't find any reference to how more are awarded.

Last edited:

AOieiosle

Explorer
The Qualities of the weapons are what differentiate how they handle (like adding Fury dice etc).

Fate Points are earned when your Order Rank grows (pg 72) or your GM hands it out as a special reward.

The Qualities of the weapons are what differentiate how they handle (like adding Fury dice etc).

Fate Points are earned when your Order Rank grows (pg 72) or your GM hands it out as a special reward.
Thanks. I'll look into those more closely. I also see they have an optional rule adding more damage, which I will consider.

aramis erak

Legend
So I'm looking over Zweihander, and I'm cautiously impressed, but I have a question:

Looking over the list of martial melee weapons, it looks like there are only superficial differences. The Court sword would seem to basically be as good as the Zweihander, while being nearly half the price and one-third the encumbrance. Especially when pairing the court sword with an off-hand dagger (+1 to damage).

Did I miss something?

It seems odd that a system that covers so many bases so neatly overlooked something of this nature.

Also, how are Fate Points awarded? p.67 covered the initial FP, but I can't find any reference to how more are awarded.
It's grounded in WFRP 1E & 2E... where about 75% of weapon types are handled by one line on the weapons table: "Hand Weapon."

It's an element than fans of WFRP 1E and 2E were good with during dev.

aramis erak

Legend
WFRP 1E and 2E fans were wrong.

But the optional rule fixes it sufficiently.
Or, perhaps, you are. The game wasn't written for you...

Zweihänder was written for fans of WFRP 1E and 2E
  • as a response to the very different WFRP 3E using FFG's NDS dice mechanics.
  • and to be a blend of the two systems strengths.
Moreover, at the low total HP of WFRP 1E and 2E, differentiation between longsword, broadsword, axe, mace, cudgel, and adze are pretty meaningless until criticals against armored flesh. (You don't actually hack holes in chain or plate; you transfer enough force to damage the flesh. With plate, you may leave a deformation, but not that likely. )

The real telling blows come from managing to cut straps or break buckles, then hit the now uncovered spot, or in a lesser case, to hit between or right on the edge of the plates, leveraging the plate into the flesh to cut or rip flesh.

They all deliver similar levels of energy. They all have similar energy density on flesh under armor.

Or, perhaps, you are. The game wasn't written for you...

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Remove ads