City of the Spider Queen

Dakkareth

First Post
I was hoping for some hint at their motive - searching something, wanting something, questioning the locals. Alas, it seems they were only intent on slaughter. Merion looks around one last time. I'd propose we go for the crypts then. It is time that we rip out the root of the problem.

Pondering for a moment he turns to Hazrael: You are familiar with the ways of the wild. Could you perhaps scout before us? That way we wouldn't disturb any tracks and would be faster aware of any opposition. Once we've secured the tomb entrance we should also explore the general area in case there are more ways up from the Underdark or 'surprises' left by the drow, but that can wait.

Sound tactic, I hope, and what's more, we can talk among us - Rashak may be only prejudiced about him, but better safe than sorry.

He eyes at the tiefling (hopefully) in an inconspicous way as the party continues its way.

[OOC:
Merion uses search/spot without any ranks it. Any results?
]

Last edited:

DemonAtheist

First Post
I'd be more than happy to scout ahead

Hazrael takes one last look around the farmhouse, trying to pick out some detail that the others might have missed. After a moment, he nods to the wizard, then his cloak swirls as he turns and runs in the direction of the crypts. As he steps out of the door, the hawk that was perched on his shoulder takes flight and keeps pace in the air. Once about a quarter mile away from the farmhouse he slows his pace somewhat.

Why did we need horses again? Few things are better than running with the soft ground beneath one's feet and the fresh air in one's face. I doubt there will be any threats between here and the crypts, but time away from those humans is not a benefit hastily thrown away.

The wizard...Merion was his name?...seems at least able to hide his prejudice, and focus on the task at hand. But the other...Rashak...what the hell is his problem? Or rather what is Merion's problem: it isn't out of the ordinary for humans to jump at me every time I speak, however true my words. In fact it's more unusual for them not to.

Hazrael sighs. At least he could be preoccupied with his surroundings now, as he kept an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

OOC:
Hazrael uses search/spot in the farmhouse, then hustles towards the crypts, using search/spot while moving. Erin, his hawk, also uses spot both in the farmhouse and on the path

Rayex

First Post
Day 1 - On the way to the crypts - Hazrael

Hazrael sets out for the crypts, following the tracks. The ones who left the tracks did nothing to conceal them, so they are easy to follow. Neither you nor Erin find anything out of the ordinary. You've been following the tracks for what you judge to be about two miles when you find the crypts. You come out of a small copse of trees and there they are, fifty feet away.
Two old, small, stone buildings stand here in the shadow of the hill. The ruined shells of several more lie nearby, overgrown with tough brown grass. A niche has been cut in the hillside just past the surface buildings. Within it, a stone door stands closed in a masonry alcove.
The building to the north is smaller than the one to the south, and the entrance into the hill is facing west.

Dakkareth

First Post
A few minutes after Hazrael is out of sight Merion casually brings up the topic of the ranger's tracking skills and proceeds to his descendance from there: He's a tiefling, by his birth related to a Tana'ri or Baatezu, you must know. That doesn't mean he's not trustworthy as a hard-and-fast rule, but such people are more susceptible to the lure of the left-hand path. On the other hand Morn obviously trusts him as seen by his assignation to our cause. I think, for now we should give him the benefit of doubt - after all he is not the only one here walking a certain line ...

His eyes narrow as his gaze falls upon Jyren. Jyren, you as a godsman are more intimate with the concept of so-called 'taint' or 'evil'. Does your god tell you anything about Hazrael?

When the rest of the group arrives at the crypts, Merion looks at the surface buildings curiously. They might make a defensive point. We should check them out.
Find anything of interest, Hazrael?

DemonAtheist

First Post
Hazrael eyes the group approaching him. So much for silence...

Hearing Merion's question, Hazrael replies Besides the trail itself, the Drow left nothing save . The buildings and ruins you see before us seem to have little to do with the Drow raids; their trail leads to the crypt itself. Addressing all three, Hazrael says What now? I would rather ignore the buildings so that we can keep the trail as fresh as possible. However, if you would rather be thorough I will agree to wait and aid in the search.

Dakkareth said:
His eyes narrow as his gaze falls upon Jyren. Jyren, you as a godsman are more intimate with the concept of so-called 'taint' or 'evil'. Does your god tell you anything about Hazrael?

Jyren shrugged slightly, a neutral expression on his face, "I see nothing against Hazrael. He seems to be simply suffering from the prejudice of his birth..." the Genasi trailed off a moment, but managed a smile, "It is something that he is most likely used to. If not, I would be surprised."

As they caught up to Hazrael, Jyren had a long look around the area, taking interest in the surroundings as it was something so much different than the world he was used to, "Perhaps we should at least check to see that the other buildings are closed and have not been used as a safe house?"

Dakkareth

First Post
Let us briefly inspect the buildings and then proceed on the trail. Maybe one of them would make a good stable for the horses and/or a point to fall back to in case something goes wrong?, Merion offers his opinion.

Before approaching either he takes the time to protect himself, though: A few muttered words and accompanying gestures later the air around him wavers for a moment before growing still again.

[OOC:
Whatever is decided, Merion will cast these spells while listening to the others. He adds false life and protection from arrows to the mage armor already in effect. Results: 1d8+10 temporary HP, DR 10/magic against arrows and +4 to AC (mage armor). All of them last 10 hours. Hey, preparation is everything to a wizard ;)
]

DemonAtheist

First Post
NOW he thinks of the horses. Who would have thought that we'd have to leave the horses behind when we go into a crypt after murd3rous Drow? And even if we didn't, none of them seem to have any experience riding horses, so they'd only put us at a disadvantage if we had the 'luck' to run into the Drow above ground. Why can't these people think ahead?

Hazrael tries to conceal his thoughts, and all that is shown is a faint scowl, not so much different from how he has been looking at the others anyway. If we are to examine the buildings, allow me to search for traps first. These Drow likely expected someone to follow them, and may have left a surprise for those a bit too investigative.

Hazrael leaves (or leads, depending on what the others do) the others and inspects the doors of the two buildings for traps, the smaller one first, and then the larger one.

OOC:
Hazrael uses Search on the doors to the two buildings (see OOC thread for question on searching). If he finds anything, he will tell the others before attempting to disable it.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
When they come upon the carnage at the farm, Rashak scowls, giving Hazrael another dirty look. "Yes, its much better this way," he says, his voice dripping sarcasm. "No use complicating matters by warning the people. This is a much simpler solution - to just let them die." To hear Hazrael talk, one would think that drow raiders are no more a nuisance than petty thieves. Why would Morn want us to ally with one with such evil in his heart? He seems much more concerned about horses then slaughtered people.

Rashak performs a benediction, praying to Tymora that the souls of the victims find peace, but in his heart he fears that they have not, and tries not to speculate on what evil purposes the drow took the bodies for.

Having adventured with Merion and Jyren before, Rashak knows the role that is expected of him. As the others search and investigate, he stands guard, his senses alert to danger.

Hazrael said:
he buildings and ruins you see before us seem to have little to do with the Drow raids; their trail leads to the crypt itself. I would rather ignore the buildings so that we can keep the trail as fresh as possible.

rayex said:
You've been following the tracks for what you judge to be about two miles when you find the crypts. You come out of a small copse of trees and there they are, fifty feet away. Two old, small, stone buildings stand here in the shadow of the hill. The ruined shells of several more lie nearby, overgrown with tough brown grass. A niche has been cut in the hillside just past the surface buildings. Within it, a stone door stands closed in a masonry alcove. The building to the north is smaller than the one to the south, and the entrance into the hill is facing west.

OOC: Rayex said nothing about the tracks leading straight to the crypt and ignoring the buildings.

Rashak agrees with Merion and Jyren. "Yes, we have very little information about the enemy. Its best investigate everything. Not only do we not know where there may be clues, but from a tactical point of view, I'd rather not worry about things attacking us from the rear.

Rayex

First Post
Day 1 - At the crypts

Hazrael moves to the smallest building, the one to the south, first. A single, massive, stone door bearing a weathered but still visible family crest marks the entrance to this crumbling mausoleum. Uner the crest you can barely make out the word "Chahir". You don't find any traps on this door.

You then move to the bigger building. Great stone double doors bar the entrance to this ancient mausoleum. The doors or the lintel may once have borne an inscription or crest, but centuries of wind and rain have erased any such marking, just as they have slowly eroded the structure of the building itself, leaving cracked walls and crumbling mortar in their wake. After a few moments of searching the door, you conclude that it is free of any traps.

Remove ads