TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

ScottyG

First Post
palleomortis said:
So basically, The XP cost for items was just to discorage PCs from making things, and rather to find them?
There is no XP cost for items in 1E. The XP value listed is the XP reward gained by the character that gets the items.
Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gizmo33 said:
Since the chance of facing the Mad Archmage in his dungeon seems somewhat safely in the too-distant future (HINT, HINT), I'll go ahead and disagree:

Creating magic items (ex. knitting a bag of holding), hiring henchmen, building castles, resting to heal wounds, getting a tatoo, etc. are all fine and honorable activities for adventurers IMO during their "down time". There's a natural limit to these activities in most cases, imposed by the resources required. Seems to me that in a world with plenty of opportunities for adventure and trouble, there's enough pressure to adventure that the DM doesn't really have to work too hard to prod.
Bah!

Zagyg's Raspberries are awarded to all concerned with such flummery. If PCs have the location to house laboratory, forges, equipment, library and the great amount of time needed for creating magical items then they must be elderly and retired, not spry and adventuring.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
palleomortis said:
Hey, I got a question for Ya, Gary. I have always wondered what your favorite creature was in the game. (And if it is NOT a dragon, wich is your favorite dragon?)

For all you others, thanx for the advice. Is there a way I could turn that into a class or race?(the lepricon)
Well, Pilgrim...

Much as with naming favorites if any sort, I have to state I have no favorite monster...aside from the one the PC team is assailing at any given time, of course.

This is not to say that I do not develop special antagonists for the PCs to get to know and fear, loathe, and seek to be rid of. Obmi the dwarf was my favorite for a time, and of course I made sure that the players would not be able to have their characters end his career. The "Old Guard" kobolds were a lot of fun too :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
Only when the spirit in question is of high quality and the whole concoction served at the proper temperature.

A Professor once told a class I was in, "Life is too short to drink poor alchohol, get the good stuff, which at this time of the year is Gin."

After that, I drank less, but better. :p
Heh...

Advice well taken, I must agree.

However, it is bootless to have champagne tastes on a beer pocketbook :confused:

As with a Scotsman who can drink any given amount, I am always up for a bottle of premier grand cru class Bordeaux or Burgundy, vintage French champagne, ancient armagnac or cognac, old ports and sherries, top shelf liquor of any sort, and real ales and similar micro-brewery potables. As for gin, Bombay Sapphire is about as good as it comes, no :cool: Of course I no longer imbibe to excess, gray hair bringing me that wisdom...

Ciao,
Gary

palleomortis

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well, Pilgrim...

Much as with naming favorites if any sort, I have to state I have no favorite monster...aside from the one the PC team is assailing at any given time, of course.

This is not to say that I do not develop special antagonists for the PCs to get to know and fear, loathe, and seek to be rid of. Obmi the dwarf was my favorite for a time, and of course I made sure that the players would not be able to have their characters end his career. The "Old Guard" kobolds were a lot of fun too :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

You GOTTA have a favorite DRAGON tho, everyone has a favorite dragons!!!!

Storm Raven

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Bah!

Zagyg's Raspberries are awarded to all concerned with such flummery. If PCs have the location to house laboratory, forges, equipment, library and the great amount of time needed for creating magical items then they must be elderly and retired, not spry and adventuring.

You mean that no one would ever rent such things for short term projects?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
palleomortis said:
You GOTTA have a favorite DRAGON tho, everyone has a favorite dragons!!!!
Would you believe a gold one? that's so even though Mordenkainen has two red ones in his citadel's subterranean complex...

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads