• Yoda vs. Emperor in SITH

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Vader vs. Obi-wan in SITH

Votes: 33 22.1%

• Poll closed .

Wolf72

Explorer
BrooklynKnight said:
Theory: Grevious is obviously part biological. I never saw the entire clone wars series, but does anyone think its possible that Grevious is a cyborg with Darth Mauls remains?

I took a look in one of the books for RotS in the book store ... he is a cyborg, has a normal brain (iirc he was featured in the Clone Wars Cartoons)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
My favorite will always be the one between Luke and Vader in RotJ. It's not as flashy and special effect filled as the ones in the prequels, but I remember watching in and really feeling how conflicted Luke must have been.

Wombat

First Post
Luke Skywalker versus Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.

Why?

Because this was not just a battle -- this was about something much, much larger. Luke's anger, the uncovered relationship between Vader & Luke, the sadness, the hope, the desperation, the inconclusiveness of the issue. This was not simply a couple of guys fighting ; this was epic drama!

Mr. Kaze

First Post
Wombat said:
...this was about something much, much larger. ... anger, the uncovered relationship ..., the sadness, the hope, the desperation, the inconclusiveness of the issue.

<joke>I felt the same way about all of Episodes 1 & 2... but I was in the audience!</joke>

::Kaze (would vote for Maul because that was dang cool, but he's not seen RotS yet so he'll have to wait a few hours)

stevelabny said:
yeah. the fights in this movie used the zoom in way to close and quick cut so that nobody can tell what the heck is going on technique.
Yep, a pet peeve of mine too. It wasn't as bad as Bourne Supremacy, but there was still too much of it for my taste. I give the edge to Darth Maul still.

squat45

First Post
I loved the Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan and Qui-Gon for it's technique and 'realism'. Felt like the participants were actually fighting and there was a lot of skill (in terms of the actors) in the fight... The later ones seem to use so much CGI (especially anything with Yoda) that there is a little bit taken away from the effect.

But one of my favorite parts of RotS is at the end of the Obi Wan - Grevious fight, berift of lightsabers, the two are continuing to fight, Grevious knocks down Obi Wan and Obi Wan tries to do a leg sweep of Grevious, only to wince in pain because he just kicked a metal robot :) That sealed the case for me, plus, 4 lightsabers for 1 opponent is just way too cool!!!! Never seen the cartoon (in fact, don't even have TV right now), so I don't know if that was common before.

I did NOT like any of the fights with Yoda, nahh, just not for me.

Least Favorite: Come on, has to be the horrible scene between a machine Vader and an old Obi Wan... worst bit of swordplay in a movie I've ever seen.

Trickstergod

First Post
You know, while the old movies make the new ones look rather bad, the new ones make the old movies lightsaber battles look kind of boring...

Anyway, I still think that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon versus Darth Maul is still the best lightsaber duel. It's the one redeeming quality to the Phantom Menace. I did really like the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin, though. I think Maul's general look is what edges it out for me.

Some of the other fights in Revenge of the Sith, though...gah. I was expecting so much more of the fight between Palpatine and Mace, Kit, and the other two Jedi but it just came up short. The same with Grievous. I didn't mind Palpatine laying waste to four Jedi, but Palpatine flipping around just doesn't look right; I wanted the battle drawn out more, the opportunity to see the rather confident Jedi suddenly go "Oh...my...lord. We're screwed," and turn to desperation as Palpatine successfully fended off and started killing four Jedi. Similarly, Obi-Wan took out the vaunted Jedi killer Grievous far too easily - maybe I was a bit overly-expectant, though, thanks to the Clone Wars cartoons.

In either case, yeah. The Maul fight scene tops them all while Obi-Wan and Anakin comes in close.

Remove ads