• Yoda vs. Emperor in SITH

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Vader vs. Obi-wan in SITH

Votes: 33 22.1%

• Poll closed .

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I liked it. But I didn't think it was the best one in all the movies.

Heh, I think the best lightsaber fight I saw was in the movie theater. Some kid had dressed up as Darth Vader and was fighting it out in front of the screen with a girl before the movie started. :) (With toy lightsabers, not fisticuffs or course).

fett527

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
My favorite will always be the one between Luke and Vader in RotJ. It's not as flashy and special effect filled as the ones in the prequels, but I remember watching in and really feeling how conflicted Luke must have been.
Absolutely the best still. The emotion, the turmoil, the anger and at the end Vader's redemption. The most memorable and best lightsaber duel.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
After all the "oh, it's so cool," I gotta say that I'm underwhelmed by the directing on the Sith fights -- by and large, they struck me as pretty slap-dash.

While the fight in RotJ was reasonably choreographed and as dramatic as Star Wars gets... well, if you're looking to Star Wars for drama, :lol: . So I have to vote for the only good thing about Episode 1 and go for Darth Maul -- a fantastic 2-on-1 fight which looks great and is simple good-versus-evil with a slight twinge of "oh yeah, sometimes good guys get screwed, too" to give it a bit of weight.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
The Lightsaber duels in ROTS were ass.

The choerography probably was pretty good, it's just the fact that we really didnt get to see most of it due to Lucas' ill advised useage of close ups and the fact that BRIGHT LIGHTSABERS in a dimly lit room leaves a bit of a glare effect which prevents you from seeing what's going on as well.

While TPM was a subpar movie, the lightsaber duels were shot reasonably well and in brightly lit areas so you can see what's going on.

That said the emotional impact of ROTS was pretty strong. It's the best of the prequels by far.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Any fight scene with Yoda gets my vote. And this last one had two or three.

Orius

Legend
Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul in Menace, hands down. Best. Duel. Evar. They're leaping around, Maul hurls stuff around with the Dark Side, Duel of the Fates underscores the action wonderfully, and it's just simply the best choreographed of all the duels.

Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar in Episode 3 ranks closely behind. For third place, I'll say Vader vs. Luke on Bespin from Empire. That battle hinted at what a duel between a Jedi and a Sith would really look like, and the battle in Menace more or less fulfilled what was hinted at.

The worst duel I'd say was the very first one in A New Hope. It just seems very weak and restrained when compared with duels that we've seen since.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
ShinHakkaider said:
The choerography probably was pretty good, it's just the fact that we really didnt get to see most of it due to Lucas' ill advised useage of close ups and the fact that BRIGHT LIGHTSABERS in a dimly lit room leaves a bit of a glare effect which prevents you from seeing what's going on as well.
Hmm, I didn't have that problem in my theater. I was at a digital one and everything was clear enough to me.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Luke/Vader in Jedi. That whole fight made Jedi my favorite Star Wars film. Just raw energy and emotion and good technique with none of the extravagant flipping and turning your back on your opponent stuff.

Testament

First Post
For sheer drama and watching things become more and more desperate, Luke vs Vader in ROTJ. Their peverse game of cat and mouse around the stairs still impresses me, hence it gets my vote.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin in ROTS is great, it just gets more and more desperate and emotionally intense as it continues. And the end of that duel is absolute perfection, Obi-Wan's almost callous departure just emphasised the emotional wrack and ruin that this whole film has been spirraling down to. This would have gotten my vote if it wasn't for number 1.

The duels involving Palpatine were a marked let-down, Ian McDiarmid looked so awkward with the saber, and when he starting flipping around it seemed so fake. His and Yoda's force duel in the Senatorial Chamber made up for it though.

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn vs Maul is still number 1 in terms of physicality and visual flair. Watching Darth Maul wield that weapon with such consummate skill, fending off his two opponents at once just emphasised how much wasted potential there was in the character of Maul. And "Duel of the Fates" is a great piece of music.

I was very happy with one thing in the Dooku duel in ROTS, and that was seeing Dooku fight as I always envisaged him, finesse style, one hand on the saber, with swift deflecting cuts. And seeing Greivous in live action was worth it, although I have to ask, why did his wheeze suddenly vanish when he shucked the cloak? The final act of his duel with Obi-Wan was thoroughly entertaining, as they went fisticuffs for the last leg. And the whole theatre laughed at the attempted sweep.

"So uncivilised" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Remove ads