Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Mace Windu vs. Emperor in SITH

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Yoda vs. Emperor in SITH

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Vader vs. Obi-wan in SITH

Votes: 33 22.1%

• Poll closed .
It was a three way toss up for me, between Ani-Obi in Ep 3, Maul, Qui-gon/Obi in PM and Luke/Vader in ESB.

The one choice I never considered was Obi/Ani/Yoda vs. Dooku...too many upclose face shots in that one for me.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Orius said:
Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul in Menace, hands down. Best. Duel. Evar. They're leaping around, Maul hurls stuff around with the Dark Side, Duel of the Fates underscores the action wonderfully, and it's just simply the best choreographed of all the duels.

I agree.

Plus, you had that terrific bit where the force field comes down, seperating the two guys. Qui-Gon uses the opportunity to meditate while Maul paces back and forth like a panther. That perfectly demonstrates the differences between the two sides of the Force.

KidCthulhu

First Post
For kick buttness, great music and fight choreography - Qui-gon, Obi & Darth Maul.

For emotion & drama - Vader Luke in RoJ.

I love light saber battles, but Episode III had me yawning. Just too damn many, and too long. They should have saved their drama for when it counted: Ani/Obi. I'm one of the small minority who doesn't acutally care to see Yoda bouncing around like some kind of caffinated jumping bean, and thinks Mace Windu is a waste of Sam Jackson.

Orius

Legend
BiggusGeekus said:
Plus, you had that terrific bit where the force field comes down, seperating the two guys. Qui-Gon uses the opportunity to meditate while Maul paces back and forth like a panther. That perfectly demonstrates the differences between the two sides of the Force.

I think one or ten people mentioned that bit already. :)

But it was a great visual representation of the differences between the Light and Dark sides. And yet people talk about how amateurish Lucas is.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Maul, hands down. My second choice is Luke vs. Vader in Empire.

"Impressive. Most Impressive." - Vader

Jeremy

Explorer
Welverin said:
Oh, and can anyone tell me when Anakin, or should I say Vader, lost his lightsaber when fighting Obi-wan in the final duel?

When he lost his legs and had to use his hands to stop from sliding into the lava instead of holding the saber. Obi-Wan picks it up incase Anakin does something Jedi-ish and so George establishes Obi-Wan having it.

Kaodi

Hero
Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader in Ep. IV

While it may have been a *really* long time since I've seen this duel, weren't the lightsabers more like an accessory to this conflict than the means of settling the real conflict? I mean, this is Obi-Wan and Darth Vader meeting up for the first time since Obi-Wan defeated his mechanical nemesis in Ep. III. It was more about the dialogue. I could be wrong though. It's pretty sketchy.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Bran Blackbyrd said:
Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul. It was the first of the lightsaber battles we got to see with able-bodied people playing trained Jedi and it kicked much ass. Young Vader vs young Obi-Wan probably comes in as a close second though.

I agree here. I loved the fight between Maul and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. They showed just how one should fight a 'saber duel. And love the music as well!! :cool:

Yoda fighting Dooku in Ep II was really kewl too! You get to see, for the first time, Yoda kicking ass! :D

The older duels were still good although kinda dated due to the style. But it's all down to the style of filmmaking over the past 20+ years that make the difference in style. We, as an audience, is more demanding of action that'll blow us off our seats than the audience of 20+ years ago.

Kaodi said:
While it may have been a *really* long time since I've seen this duel, weren't the lightsabers more like an accessory to this conflict than the means of settling the real conflict? I mean, this is Obi-Wan and Darth Vader meeting up for the first time since Obi-Wan defeated his mechanical nemesis in Ep. III. It was more about the dialogue. I could be wrong though. It's pretty sketchy.
Fight wise...it really wasn't much of one. But it definitely has tons of great lines.

Especially "The circle is now complete. When we last met, I was but the learner. Now I am the Master."

And considering Anakin's near obsession with becoming a Jedi Master in Sith, that has even more meaning now. :)

Remove ads