RIP: Good Music Albums

bento

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
Damn the Torpedoes was what... 1979? Youch. This isn't about a lack of good music. Dude, you are just an out of touch old fogey. :D

I guess the only thing that could make me fogey-er is I purchased it along with Cheap Trick's Greatest Hits! :lol:

Vigilance

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
You won't see something like the Beatles again in your liftetime. Lightning like that strikes once a few centuries... if you are lucky.

Eh, I disagree. Like most truly explosive artistic movements, the Beatles had some running buddies, stars that burned, perhaps not as bright, but will burn as long. Just like Shakespeare had Marlowe and Jonson, the Beatles had the Rolling Stones and the Kinks.

Vigilance

Explorer
I also have to say I see a lot of people approaching middle age engaging in "these kids today!" type behavior.

No, they didn't stop making good music when we turned 30. We just got old. We're not into what the kids are listening to anymore.

I mean... there were plenty of crappy one-hit wonders during Elvis' day too. But since it's 50 years later, we only hear the good stuff.

As a music major in college, I played some absolutely horrid stuff written around the time of Bach and Mozart too. Again, we can gloss over it now and go right for the goods.

Some of my favorite albums, that are great all the way through, have been released in the past couple of years. But it's not really stuff you'd hear on the radio I expect.

Which, really, is just how it was in the past. Most GOOD bands dont get much radio play and never have. Sure you have the occasional monsters that are both great musicians and have popular acclaim, like the Beatles or Johnny Cash, but for every one of them there's 200 Britney Spears' that are a passing fancy.

So investigate off the beaten track a little (especially with all the great tips dropped in the thread) and I'm sure you'll find good music hasn't died after all.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Vigilance said:
I also have to say I see a lot of people approaching middle age engaging in "these kids today!" type behavior.

No, they didn't stop making good music when we turned 30. We just got old. We're not into what the kids are listening to anymore.
There was actually a study recently that said it's a brain chemical thing. After age 25 or so, unless you actively work against it, you get set in your ways and think whatever crap you listened to in high school and college is pretty much "it" for great artists. :eek:

Felon

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
You won't see something like the Beatles again in your liftetime. Lightning like that strikes once a few centuries... if you are lucky.
I'll settle for bands that play their own instruments, write their own songs, and in general have control over their own music.

And that's what the old fogeys are missing. There was a show on TV a few years back called "Popstars" (both a U.S. and British version IIRC). Man, a show like that would've been considered a joke in decades past, as some executive comes in and explains that all the big decisions will be called for them, and the "stars" primary job is just to hit their cues.

Give us our garage bands back, dammit.

Felon

First Post
Vigilance said:

Meh, that's just jejune. The movie industry has just gotten its act together too well. They own all the radio stations now, which is a big problem. Rock has been relegated to "alternative music". What "I'm not into" is formulaic music by people who aren't trying very hard. I don't think Fifty Cents sucks because I'm old. I think he sucks because looping some 5-second hook while reciting one more set of lyrics about how much money you have and how many women you fornicate with and how jealous everyone is of you is just plain stagnation.

Vigilance

Explorer
Felon said:
Meh, that's just jejune. The movie industry has just gotten its act together too well. They own all the radio stations now, which is a big problem. Rock has been relegated to "alternative music". What "I'm not into" is formulaic music by people who aren't trying very hard. I don't think Fifty Cents sucks because I'm old. I think he sucks because looping some 5-second hook while reciting one more set of lyrics about how much money you have and how many women you fornicate with and how jealous everyone is of you is just plain stagnation.

Right, but it was ALWAYS like that. Back when there was rock on the radio, in the days you're talking about, some of it was still Quiet Riot.

95% of all music will always be bad, tragically hip or transitory, disposable entertainment you listen to a few times and never want to hear again.

Remove ads