TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

JoeGKushner

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hey!

I just realized that this thread likely has greater readership that the local paper here in Lake Geneva does. Maybe I can sell adveritsements after my sig... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

You joke but who would have thought that we'd have advertisements in the bathroom on the men's hand dryer twenty years ago?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(loved those Capital One commercials ...) :)

Gary, since you gave the answer you did above, I wish to ask three questions I would not have otherwise asked.

We know of the Prismatic Spells: Prismatic Spray (7th), Prismatic Wall (8th), and Prismatic Sphere (9th.)
In Dragon Magazine, they introduced Jaran's Prismatic Sword. It was 9th level. I disagreed with that assessment, thinking it should have been higher. What would it have been in your game?

And (rather obviously) Prismatic Plate Armor (or, just plain Prismatic Armor) comes to mind.
What level would it be?

If there is Prismatic Sword, perhaps there is Prismatic Bow (and Arrows) or Prismatic Bolts (1 bolt per level!) What level would this spell be?

Incidentally, in 2nd Edition they created spells of 10th, 11th, and 12th level. But the increase in spell power was not linear. It was exponential.
In the case of the above questions, I am assuming (hopefully correctly) you go by a linear approach, so no analogy to the 2nd edition spells is drawn here.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
(loved those Capital One commercials ...) :)

Gary, since you gave the answer you did above, I wish to ask three questions I would not have otherwise asked.

We know of the Prismatic Spells: Prismatic Spray (7th), Prismatic Wall (8th), and Prismatic Sphere (9th.)
In Dragon Magazine, they introduced Jaran's Prismatic Sword. It was 9th level. I disagreed with that assessment, thinking it should have been higher. What would it have been in your game?

And (rather obviously) Prismatic Plate Armor (or, just plain Prismatic Armor) comes to mind.
What level would it be?

If there is Prismatic Sword, perhaps there is Prismatic Bow (and Arrows) or Prismatic Bolts (1 bolt per level!) What level would this spell be?

Incidentally, in 2nd Edition they created spells of 10th, 11th, and 12th level. But the increase in spell power was not linear. It was exponential.
In the case of the above questions, I am assuming (hopefully correctly) you go by a linear approach, so no analogy to the 2nd edition spells is drawn here.
Those are tough questions for which I have no ready answer.

I don't recall the Prismatic Sword and its powers, so I can say only that and non-mage-use item involving the prosmatic magical effects would be quite extraordinary and difficult to forge, as the basis is Illusion coupled with the Plane of Radiance and Light.

While I do go with a linear progression, I don't think that would apply to prismatically charged items. If they could be made at all, I believe that those of considerabole power would be akin to artifacts in reagrds their level.

Of course I am not actually setting about the description of any such items, just offering suggestions off the cuff;)

Cheers,
Gary

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Jaran's Prismatic Sword (or Blade, not sure which at the moment) created a sword that only the mage could wield. It automatically inflicted all the damage of a Prismatic Sphere if it hit (10 damage + 20 + 40 + save versus death, spell, wand, breath weapon), each and every time it hit. It lasted 1 round (minute) per level.
It also blinded all beings of 6 hit dice (or was it 8?) who looked at it and failed their save (including the mage's allies, if applicable.)
A powerful spell!!

Thanks for the comments. I was just curious. Fortunately for my characters, no NPC out there started firing Prismatic Arrows at them! :)

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
Jaran's Prismatic Sword (or Blade, not sure which at the moment) created a sword that only the mage could wield. It automatically inflicted all the damage of a Prismatic Sphere if it hit (10 damage + 20 + 40 + save versus death, spell, wand, breath weapon), each and every time it hit. It lasted 1 round (minute) per level.
It also blinded all beings of 6 hit dice (or was it 8?) who looked at it and failed their save (including the mage's allies, if applicable.)
A powerful spell!!

Thanks for the comments. I was just curious. Fortunately for my characters, no NPC out there started firing Prismatic Arrows at them! :)
Whoa!

That Prismatic Sword is a blasted artifact that a deity along hould weild :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Anson Caralya

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
that said, I do believe that 10th level spells, even 11th and 12th, are appropriate in high-level campaigns. such should be available only to mages of 19 or greater Intelligence at 20th, 22nd, and 24th level perhsps.

Gary, is this just pure theoretical musing, or have you thought through spells over 9th level at some point? What might they be like? Given that one well-known character of yours is a mage of greater than 20th level (although I never saw him statted-out with an Int >18)... I had always accepted 9th level as the far end of the OAD&D spell power continuum given the absolutes of the all-powerful wish, the no-save temporal stasis, and the godly-morphic shape change.

And is a 20th level m-u now an archarchmage?

ScottyG

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
Yeah. It was sorta the AD&D lightsabre, as it were. The ultimate weapon.
It was in Dragon #241.

Thanks again! :)
Edena_of_Neith
Wasn't the AD&D light saber called a wand of force? Introduced in Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. It's one of those items many of my PCs would have liked to acquire, along with an original holy vorpal sword.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads