Confess your lack of taste

Rechan

Adventurer
There are common wisdoms within Popular culture. "That movie is Good" "That is just awful" "You MUST see this movie at least once". Things which have a lot of hype.

And if you deviate from these opinions, your friends can look at you in disgust. You can be attributed to having no taste, based on what you like/don't like, or have not partaken in.

I would like to hear how you differ from the common wisdom. I'll go first.

Popular movies that bored me/I don't like:
Blade Runner. I don't really "get" why it's so popular.
Clockwork Orange (got bored, couldn't finish it)
The Godfather (got bored, didn't finish it)
Audition
85% of Anime.

Unpopular movies I liked:
Matrix: Reloaded
Van Helsing
Face/off
Wild Wild West
Vampires (the James Woods version)
Indiana Jones 4 (although this might be too soon to tell)

Never Played/Seen/Read
Anything written by Tolkien
Fallout 1 and 2 computer game.
Anything relating to Harry Potter.
Anything relating to Star Trek.

Misc
Jeff Foxworthy (to a point).
Country Music (to a point). I actually have little interest in music; I don't actively go out to listen to it. This usually gets me odd, odd looks from everyone I know.

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
Popular movies I thought was dull or slow

Spiderman

Popular movies I detested

Blair Witch Project

Movies that were maligned that I didn't mind (B- rating or so)

Blair Witch Project II
Starship Troopers
Wing Commander, featuring Freddy Prinze Junior
Pretty much any movie with Freddy Prinze

Fashion

I am currently wearing a plaid long-sleeve shirt, faded jeans, white socks and chucks. I did shave last night which is unusual. I frequently wear brown leather oxfords with white socks, too.

Last edited:

I've never (in my adult life, anyway) seen an anime that I liked.

I preferred the second Matrix movie to either of the others.

I thought Superman Returns was good.

I couldn't get past the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica.

I think the new incarnation of Doctor Who (both Eccleston and Tennant) is far better than anything the older version produced.

I don't really care for Led Zeppelin.

I think Connery is not only not the best Bond, he's not even second best.

I liked Indiana Jones IV (although I'll agree with the haters on a few specific scenes, and I didn't like it as much as the others).

I don't think Hayden Christensen's performance was one of the problems with the Star Wars prequels (though I certainly agree there were many of said problems).

I like the new Forgotten Realms better than the old. :eek:

Things I like that generally are not liked-

Pop music (I'm 40)

Calvin & Hobbes (most people have never heard of them)

Comicbooks

Things I don't like but others like-

Anything "Star Trek" or "Dr.Who"

Most alcohols

Horror movies

ProfessorPain

First Post
The OP has a point, and what is worse, its a two-tiered system. There are movies pop culture says you must like and hate, and there are movies high brow culture says you must like and hate. Same seems to work for music and literature as well.

I grew up with music, played piano, guitar, the mandolin and the keyboard. I studied some music in college; had classical and blues guitar lessons as a kid. So I understand the basic theories behind music. But let me say this: I love stuff like Lady Gaga and I hate jazz. I think there is nothing better than an intricate beat, some well placed lines, and a catchy melody. Everyone who wants to be smart or cultured says you got to like jazz. I tried for years to get into jazz. To act like I got it. I don't get it. The melodies are atrocious, meandering things. Classical I get, it has melody (though it is frequently deficient when it comes to rhythm. Hip Hop, I get. Rock I get. Rap I get. Blues I get. Jazz....I hate it.

ProfessorPain

First Post
Starship Troopers

I loved starship troopers. One of those movies I can see again and again without getting bored. Lots of memorable scenes and funny dialogue. I liked that it took a chance and strayed from the book (heck I don't think the director even read the book!). Just stylistically this movie, along with the Fifth Element, really impressed me.

Remove ads